The Susan Boyle phenomenon

Charlotteman

I guess by now everyone has seen Susan Boyle's breathtaking performance on Britain's Got Talent. The last I saw, there were 39,000,000+ viewings on youtube. Her dazzling rendition of a Les Miserables song had my partner openly weeping.

I very much look forward to her first CD. I predict it will go to #1 the minute it's released.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been thrilled and amazed by this story, but it goes to show that as a species we value good looks. Everyone in that audience sneered and snickered when they saw Susan walk on stage with her 'frumpy' look. No-one believed she had such talent. It just supports the old adage 'You can't judge a book by it's cover.'

now don't get me wrong, she is a very good singer, but i think this would be a moot point if she was pleasing to the eyes. the simple fact that she's what many people consider unattractive makes me feel that it might be clouding the judgement of her voice. i was left somewhat disappointed when i finally saw and heard the video. for such a big deal that has been made, i was expecting absolute fireworks (from her voice, not from the audience's reaction). i do think that with vocal training, she could be very, very good. of course this is just my opinion and we all know the saying about opinions. on the other hand shaheen jafargholi left me with goosebumps.

This is a great story and it seems it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

While she does have a great voice, the next great singer of our generation will be Adam Lambert. I can't think of any male singer that possesses his vocal range and strength.

This is a great story because it proves anyone can do what they want to do regardless of the way they look. These are different times now and people don't care about that kind of stuff anymore. But in this case her "unattractive" features are actually benefiting her. It makes her stand out and she has a wonderful voice.

I think this whole phenomenon illustrates how overrated physical appearance is. We would all like to be beautiful, but genes don't work that way everytime.

Ultimately it's what's underneath that makes all the difference. Which would you prefer---a physically gorgeous person with a heart of stone, or a real human being who has character like Susan Boyle?

• 2 weeks later...

Youtube is now featuring a vid of Susan Boyle singing Barbra Striesand's classic The Way We Were.

The video was made in 1984, featuring a thinner Susan. But interestingly you can detect how much her voice has improved in those years. In ten years, her voice might be even better.:)

A link to the video:

Archived