Quail Hollow Championship

HopHead

Next week, the PGA tour's "5th Major" as been commonly called makes it's way to the Queen City. So far a number of the PGA's top golfers including Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Anthony Kim (defending champ), Jim Furyk, etc have committed. It's expected that Tiger will be there, but he usually doesn't officially commit until the last minute (Friday before the tournament). Anyone plan on going? I'm looking to go on Friday... I've gone the last 2 years and look forward to it every year. Fantastic tournament to see...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to the Quail Hollow Championship... consider riding your bike.

CABA ( Charlotte's bike advocacy group) will again be running their bike valet parking just a few hundred feet from the main entrance to the course. It's free ( although donations will be accepted); it's convenient (no driving to a remote parking area to ride a bus ); it's healthy & fun. Glen Eagles Rd. will be closed to traffic again, and there is a pedestrian / bike pathway from the adjacent Old Georgetown neighborhood to afford a safe, fun alternative..!!!

Great tournament, but does anyone outside of Charlotte refer to it as the "5th major"?

Yes, during the TV broadcast a lot of the announcers will make the comment... I think we do get some bias though too b/c Jim Nantz is from the Charlotte area originally so he likes to give his hometown some props. All of the players love to play the course as well, that's why it gets a majority of the top golfers every year.

but to trade for the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup; not a bad deal.

Yep... I'd love to see the PGA Championship or US Open in Charlotte. Quail Hollow definitely puts on a major-caliber tournament now. But to get the Ryder Cup? Wow... That would be be unreal. It is golf's world cup....

BTW - I went on Friday. What a great show some of the golfers put on. I saw a near hole in one on the 17th hole. And of course saw some great moments from Tiger and Phil. This weekend will be great!

Anyone know if they are reselling tix in the SouthPark parking lot after 12 as they have in years past? Can't find anything on it. I guess this was one of the casulties of not selling out. Its a shame if not as this was agreat deal and went to charity as well.

Anyone know if they are reselling tix in the SouthPark parking lot after 12 as they have in years past? Can't find anything on it. I guess this was one of the casulties of not selling out. Its a shame if not as this was agreat deal and went to charity as well.

I thought you could go up to the club and they had a second chance ticket box there; it would just be used tix from those that decided to leave early. Not sure if this is the same thing you are referring to. The rounds for Fri-Sun all sold out so they wouldn't have any extras full tickets.

I thought you could go up to the club and they had a second chance ticket box there; it would just be used tix from those that decided to leave early. Not sure if this is the same thing you are referring to. The rounds for Fri-Sun all sold out so they wouldn't have any extras full tickets.

In past years they had what was called the Mulligan Porgram where people would turn in there unused tickets and they would go on sale every day at noon at the will call locations. They resold the tickets for $10 with the proceeds going to charities.

Count me in the camp that is disappointed by the move not to renew after 2014. You already have an annual event that has had a great reputation from the start and one of the few non-major events that draws a major type field. Why mess with a good thing.

I honestly don't understand why they don't just do a contract that extends the QHC until 2016 rather than 2014. That way Charlotte doesn't lose a major sporting event for a couple years while they "prepare" for a larger tournament.

When I was watching the Golf Channel coverage of the tournament during the week the announcers alluded to the fact that Quail Hollow was going to tweak the course quite a bit over the course of two or three years in preparation for a major at the course. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

• 2 months later...

Charlotte's Quail Hollow Club has put in their bid to host the 2017 PGA Championship... They do however face some stiff competition from Scioto Country Club in Columbus, OH who also submitted a bid. This is the same course where Jack Nicklaus learned to play and it will be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2016 (another course is already lined up for the PGA that year). So, should be interesting to see that happens. The PGA should announce who gets the tournament by 2010.

• 8 months later...

The Quail Hollow tourney unofficially gets started today with the Pro-Am. Several celebrities including Dan Marino, Jimmie Johnson and Bobcats' owner Michael Jordan are set to play with the PGA's best. This tournament which usually gets a lot of buzz because most of the top players in the world are in the field is getting extra attention this week because of Tiger Woods. This is his first real "open" tournament where ticket sales aren't limited (The Masters doesn't have a general public sale, so you basically have to know someone to get in). Something to the tune of an extra 100 media credentials have been issued. News outlets from all over the world are here to cover the event. As palmetto75 mentioned, the event is sold out for the 7th time in the 8 years the event has been here (I was lucky enough to get tickets for Sunday :)). Should be interesting. And in case anyone was interested, one of Tiger's mistresses will be performing at the Uptown Caberet this weekend. I'd imagine the owner of the club saw lots of $$$ signs and couldn't refuse that one... :shades:

• 3 months later...

Starting next year, the Quail Hollow Championship will be called the "Wells Fargo Championship". The bank felt it was time to put its name back on the event after a two year hiatus following the economic downturn. They'll use the old Wachovia graphics for the tournament but with the gold and red Wells Fargo color scheme. Expect to see a lot more advertisement from the bank and the return of pre-2008 perks in 2011.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, tomorrow it will be made official. The 2017 PGA Championship will be played at Charlotte's Quail Hollow Country Club! Even if you aren't a big fan of golf, this is a huge deal for the Charlotte region from an economic and exposure standpoint. Being able to host one of golf's four majors is quite an honor. :yahoo:

^The annual event at Quail Hollow is just that, a regular event on the tour's calendar that players will play during the course of a season. It's the equivalent of a Panthers regular season game. The prize money (by golf standards) isn't as much. It doesn't always guarantee that the top players like Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson will play there, though they are regulars at the Charlotte event. The PGA Championship is much different in that it's one of four major tournaments every year (The Masters, US Open, British Open and PGA Championship). These events are widely considered a must stop for all PGA players, with the PGA the most widely attended. The prestige and prize money are larger. The courses are more challenging and events are watched worldwide. Each of these majors are basically golf's Super Bowl for that year. So basically, expect to see a lot more media coverage and a lot more money spent in Charlotte that week.

So I suppose this means the regular event will stop playing there after 2014?

That hasn't been determined yet. If Wells Fargo (or another local sponsor) pushes to extend the event beyond 2014, that tournament would continue. However, they would have to find another club to host it in 2017 because Quail Hollow would have to change the type of grass used on the course (and make some other changes to the layout) and that usually takes about a year or so to do.

I thought I had surely misread that, but I didn't. I just don't get golf. dontknow.gif

oh well, yay for economic boon.

Well, because the PGA Championship tournament will be played in mid-August versus early May (when it's the Wells Fargo Championship) they have to switch grass types so it can withstand the summer heat better and accommodate different cuts on the course. They will use Bermuda grass as opposed to overseeded Rye :)

Archived