Quail Hollow Championship

HopHead

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few quotes after it was announced yesterday Quail Hollow would host the PGA Championship in 2017:

Tiger Woods said via e-mail Tuesday: "Quail Hollow is an outstanding golf course that has the ability to host a major. This is Charlotte's first major and the people there, and in the surrounding areas, understand and appreciate great golf."

PGA of America CEO Joe Steranka: "Quail Hollow could host the PGA Championship next year," he said. "It's that good."

Good to see all the props that Charlotte and Quail Hollow are getting for this. :thumbsup:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/31/1659119/2017-pga-event-will-bring-higher.html

• 8 months later...

Today marks the start of Charlotte's annual PGA tournament at Quail Hollow Country Club (practice rounds and pro-ams are Mon-Wed, tournament play is Thurs-Sun). As we all know it's been renamed the Wells Fargo Championship as WF decided to put it's name back on the tourney this year, even though it was sponsoring it in years past. Despite the Tiger Woods circus not coming to town (he's missing the tournament due to a leg and foot injury), the tournament has once again SOLD OUT. Coverage will be on the Golf Channel Thursday and Friday, then CBS picks up coverage for Saturday and Sunday. Luckily I already have my tickets for Saturday :)

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again. Today starts off the week for the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow. Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Rory McIlroy are among the top PGA players that will be in Charlotte. Monday and Tuesday will be the practice rounds with the Pro-Am on Wednesday. Thursday - Sunday is tournament play. The tournament is once again a sell out (I have my tix for Saturday). This year also marks the 10th anniversary of the event.

^Ahh good catch. Also among the many options, there will be a shuttle from the LYNX Sharon Road West Light Rail Station. It runs every day from 5:30am to 9pm. Just need to have a purchased light rail ticket. I usually take this option. It's one of the easier options.

In case anyone was wondering what the Wells Fargo PGA tournament does for the Charlotte economy? It pumps in about $45 million into the local economy while it's here this week. Between the hotels, restaurants, etc there' s a lot that goes on. Great example: The Nike shirt that Tiger wore at the Pro-Am yesterday sold out in 45 minutes today at the tournament shop. It goes for $90 a pop.

http://www.wcnc.com/...-150089655.html

• 3 years later...

I don't know what is more stupid:  I paid $7.25 for a 16oz Becks, or I paid $9 for a 12oz can of Lonerider Peacemaker Pale Ale?  All "local craft" at the All-American Pub tent was $9 for a 12oz (bottle or can).  Embarrassing.

There was nothing "local" about the local craft beer selection there yesterday. Catawba Valley Brewing was probably the closest thing.. That in itself to me was the most embarrassing. The tourney should have been embracing the beers that are actually brewed here. Though, I will say choice of having Queen City Q there was a good see (and eat). Great day out on the course otherwise though... John Fox was playing in the Pro-Am. He looked like he could stand to eat a few more hamburgers though. Ron Rivera was there playing as well among others. 

I will say choice of having Queen City Q there was a good see (and eat). 

It's only one data point, but my $12 brisket "plate" (which was a $9 sandwich and a side) was dry and gross (although the cilantro slaw was pretty tasty and refreshing).  I still snarfed it all down and it was probably a better buy than the $4 worlds smallest hot dog I had earlier.

As always, I understand that the price is whatever people are stupid enough to pay, but lord, I was reminded why I swore off this event several years ago.  

But yeah, the weather was fantastic yesterday (and the rest of the week?), and the golf was fun with low attendance and great access to pros and "celebs".

It's only one data point, but my $12 brisket "plate" (which was a $9 sandwich and a side) was dry and gross (although the cilantro slaw was pretty tasty and refreshing).  I still snarfed it all down and it was probably a better buy than the $4 worlds smallest hot dog I had earlier.

As always, I understand that the price is whatever people are stupid enough to pay, but lord, I was reminded why I swore off this event several years ago.  

But yeah, the weather was fantastic yesterday (and the rest of the week?), and the golf was fun with low attendance and great access to pros and "celebs".

The food is never what it truly is advertised to be at these kind of events (hopefully people don't base their judgment of QCQ on what they serve there this week) so I can't really say my expectations are that high. Overpriced for what you get though is the norm for most of these events as we all know. The ProAm to me is the best part of the week. The players are at ease, you can actually hear them talking to each other and interact with the fans more. The weekend crowds are usually ridiculous with people walking over each other... and just the pure idiocy of some people. I still go on the weekends though if I get a ticket, but usually just stay in one or two spots. 

Archived