Bea Arthur is dead age 86

Charlotteman

This is such a sad day. We've lost one of the most witty, sharp and talented actors of our time. In her roles in Maude, and the Golden Girls, Bea brought untold joy and laughter to countless millions of people.

We will always remember her and all the fun she brought us. RIP dear Bea.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wierdest thing is just yesterday I was telling someone how old she was and that she didnt have to long to go and the next day she dies. This is the second death of a cast member from the Golden Girls. Estelle Getty died a year or two ago. But yes its sad

The younger generation don't really know anything about Maude but here is a little trivia. Maude and The Jeffersons are a "spinoffs" from All in the Family. Also the 70's show Good Times starring Esther Rolle is a spinoff from Maude. On Maude, "Florida Evans" was Maude's house keeper. John Amos also appeared on Maude as well.

rest in peace

(May 13, 1922 - April 25, 2009)

bea_arthur.jpgbea-arthur-cp-250-6614075.jpg

She was one of the big icons of 80's TV. However I will remember her for her performance as Maude in the 1970s. Her clashes with her opposite, Archie Bunker, were classic. They simply could not put shows of that type on broadcast TV these days as those programs assumed the people watching were responsible thinking adults.

To me, she is best known as Dorothy from "The Golden Girls." I absolutely love her character and the show in general. I remember when I saw her on the Roast of Pamela Anderson on VH1, and I could tell she didn't have much longer to go. I do hope that her living co-stars from "The Golden Girls," Betty White (Rose) and Rue McClanahan (Blanche) attend her funeral. None of the others attended Estelle Getty's funeral.

A little bit of triviality. Bea Authur won an Emmy Award for both Maude and the Golden Girls. The Golden Girls was one of only a few series where all of the main characters won Emmys. One of the other TV series where this occured was All In The Family where her Maude character was first created.

I've heard a rumor from a few people that they are going to play the Golden Girls theme song at her funeral. I don't believe that for one minute because that would be a very distasteful thing to do. On top of that, Bea was much more than Dorothy on the Golden Girls.

i remember the episode where they went on a carribean vacation and when blanch put a quarter in the vibrator bed in the hotel room, a guy comes in and vibrates the bed with with his foot while he sang gauntamahera LOL

For us people who are Golden Girls fans, the four gals are almost family. Bea's death is darn close to your dear aunt passing away.

I read an interview with Bea several years ago, and the interviewer mentioned that gay people adored her. She acknowledged that she knew.:) Something about Bea just felt so comforting to gays.

Archived