Project New Year

gman430

I was looking online at the capital improvements project list (2010-2014) for the city of Greenville and stumbled upon something called Project New Year. It looks like it could be an economic development project for downtown that will receive $1 million from the city for streetscape improvements and will start construction in July 2010. More information can be seen on page 8 at this link: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...treetscapes.pdf Does anybody know what this could potentially be? I know the Greenville Journal has been mentioning lately that some major announcements could be coming downtown in terms of office development within the next few weeks. Wonder if they are related somehow. :unsure:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given those numbers, these sidewalks improvements should be for a substantial block or so. I guess it is safe to assume this will be off of Main Street as Main doesn't need improvements. :dontknow: Unless......Could it possibly be for the sidewalks around the Main @ Broad development, or are those already funded?

Given those numbers, these sidewalks improvements should be for a substantial block or so. I guess it is safe to assume this will be off of Main Street as Main doesn't need improvements. :dontknow: Unless......Could it possibly be for the sidewalks around the Main @ Broad development, or are those already funded?

I will only be excited if,

A.) this project involves a new or relocated corporation moving into downtown,

B.) this project adds to the quality of life and fabric of an award-winning downtown,

and,

C.) this project actually happens within my lifetime.

We should also remember that this could involve any one of at least a few vacant office spaces already available around downtown. While that is unlikely, given the apparent need for significant public funding of streetcape improvements, it remains a possibility. Additionally, there are a few very prime pieces of vacant real estate along Main Street, not to mention along a few of the perpendicular streets as well. With the City's ramped up corporate recruiting efforts of late, I hope this will be the first major announcement justifying that decision more than a year ago. I also hope this will be the beginning of a flood of new or relocating corporate offices into Greenville's charming downtown. With the addition of new professional workers will come an even greater demand for downtown residential space, hotels, shops, restaurants, entertainment, and more. Part of me really hopes something is announced regarding the future phase(s) of the RiverPlace development.

Found out a lot more information regarding this project including who the company is. All I can say is they are already located downtown and are doing well even during these tough economic times. :) Rumor mill is saying it will be a highrise although that part is only a rumor so take it with a grain of salt.

Boo, too much excitement over very little then. I had really hoped it would involve a company relocating to downtown from elsewhere. Unless this company plans to expand and hire lots of new employees, this will not be the announcement I was looking for.

Found out a lot more information regarding this project including who the company is. All I can say is they are already located downtown and are doing well even during these tough economic times. :) Rumor mill is saying it will be a highrise although that part is only a rumor so take it with a grain of salt.

Archived