CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

Rhodes Dahl, Dream Big Greenville Inc, Pazdan Smith Architects, ARUP, Scape, and Studio Gang Architects proudly present Reedy Square formally called the GO Center. This is a project like no other previously imagined. It will be a catalyst for economic growth, an engine of job creation and an icon of environmental architecture. The Square showcases the Upstate's exceptional natural and cultural wonders, engaging citizens and guests to further discover and explore our region

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, where is this going to go. It'll be iconoc.

It's going to be located at the intersection of River Street and Reedy View Drive where the grey building currently is directly across River Street from the Riverplace phase II site. Use http://maps.google.com to see location if you don't know where that is. :) Opening is slated for Spring 2011.

Anyone have any idea on height of the structure? I remember an article that was posted where one of the city officials commented about the GO Center rising above the Academy Street Bridge. In looking at the drawing, some of the "floors" look twice as tall as a normal office building. Looks like this may equal a 6 or 7 story office building, possibly 8? :dontknow: Trying to get an idea of scale.

Wow, this is great. What a huge boon to our downtown and region. I hope it is truly iconic, but even if it's just a fairly "normal" building it represents a previously ignored but important piece of our future economy in the Upstate (tourism).

I really like the location, too. It will help spur development off of Main and continue the RiverPlace feel. I think we could see this have a positive effect on Academy Street as well! :thumbsup:

I expect this to be a solid midrise building, perhaps on the scale of the existing RiverPlace buildings. That remains to be seen, though.

I would like to see more renderings, as the one in the document makes it difficult to truly visualize what they have in mind.

...I hope it is truly iconic, but even if it's just a fairly "normal" building...
Based on the rendering, I do not imagine this will be an "ordinary" building in any sense of the word. It sounds and looks very iconic for a city Greenville's size and stature. The height appears to be in the five to six story range. That would give the upper floors plenty of room to view the northern territory over the Academy Street bridge, not to mention incredible views toward the rest of downtown. :shades:

WOW! :shok: I almost spit out my drink when that image came up! I really never thought we'd see such a structure downtown (definitely at ICAR, but not so much among the brick and mortar of downtown). I really like the promise that this vision holds! This, like all of you have said, would absolutely be an instant icon. The grace of the Liberty Bridge will definitely be joined on post cards with this piece of modern art. :yahoo:

I'm not sure if I like the name, though. The GO Center seemed more exciting and edgy like the architecture being pursued. Reedy Square made me think there was a new residential neighborhood being developed...

By the way... those funding figures-- are they just for this structure, OR are they including the development of the Blue Wall Center, too?

I'm not sure if I like the name, though. The GO Center seemed more exciting and edgy like the architecture being pursued. Reedy Square made me think there was a new residential neighborhood being developed...

I was thinking that too. Reedy Square does not really seem to reflect the type of project this is, or inspire much excitement.

However; the name aside, I think this should be a great addition and too would like to see some more detailed renderings. Does anyone know if the funding is already in place? And the link mentions an opening date in 2011. Any ideas on when we may see ground broken?

Also, it is of course difficult to tell from the rendering, but the people in the foreground at the table seem to be outside. Would this be like a courtyard facing the center? If so, the building almost looks like an open air type environment. The steps seem to go up absent of any doors, and the different boxes seem to have ceiliings with two open ends. If so, I would have to think about something like that for awhile. :dontknow:

I've never been fond of the "GO Center" name, personally. It has potential, but seems too generic for such a unique concept. Reedy Square seems more organic and understated, in my opinion, a name that people would likely take to heart, not easily forget, and quickly (if not instantly) associate with the stunning visitors center on the Reedy River.

By the way... those funding figures-- are they just for this structure, OR are they including the development of the Blue Wall Center, too?
That appears to be only a spec sheet for the downtown visitors center. Such a fantastic work of art would be a bargain at only $35 Million.

...Also, it is of course difficult to tell from the rendering, but the people in the foreground at the table seem to be outside. Would this be like a courtyard facing the center? If so, the building almost looks like an open air type environment. The steps seem to go up absent of any doors, and the different boxes seem to have ceiliings with two open ends. If so, I would have to think about something like that for awhile. :dontknow:
It definitely has a nice open feel. Parts seem to be especially wide open, while I think that the upper floors will probably be covered with glass. One other minor detail left out of the rendering are the guard rails. Many will be needed since there are multiple levels with apparent public access. I love the artist's addition of people riding segways through the plaza. That is likely an indication that the plans include segway tours or rentals.

The name GO Center has been a great project name / conceptual name, but as for the final name, I'm glad it will not be called the GO Center. I have trouble imagining myself telling a tourist to "Go to the GO Center". GO is too harsh, IMO.

While Reedy Square doesn't immediately scream out, it is a nice solid name. I can picture myself telling a tourist to simply "Check out Reedy Square". Could be Seattle or Portland: Pioneer Square. I like that Reedy Square pays tribute to a local name (how many Reedy Rivers are there....not many).

What I especially like though is the surprise element.....a tourist goes to Reedy Square and bam, they see this cubist type structure. The surprise element will leave an impact.......much the way tourist are surprised at the waterfall we have downtown or the fact their tourist guide says Greenville has 56K people, but they swear it feels like a city of 250K or the fact we have a mini Fenway. Greenville has been good at playing the surprise element. So while Reedy Square doesn't create some major expectation, it does leaves room for plenty of surprise.

I don't know....what are some other names you guys think could work?

This will most definitely spur development up river. I wonder what the odds are to getting back some boats in the river... I never experienced the gondola rides, so I'm not sure how far up the river they can go, but it would seem perfect to add some small crafts on the water again. I don't think gondolas are the way to go, however. Something more unique would be perfect... Due to the Swamp Rabbit damn, I wonder if it'd be possible to offer boats for rent (paddle boats, row boats, etc) instead of having a driver. With appropriate lighting, I think nights and weekends would make them a hit. :dontknow: nothing cheesy however.

Also, I'll be interested to see what will happen with the Camperdown site. I'm really happy that it did not happen. We'd be kicking ourselves right now if it didn't offer retail at the ground floor.

It's a bit hard for me to get a grasp on the building as the rendering looks somewhat abstract, but I can definitely tell that this will be no ordinary building and will bring some architectural diversity downtown. I look forward to more detailed renderings.

...We'd be kicking ourselves right now if it didn't offer retail at the ground floor.
If by "retail" you mean "art"... I also imagine a cycle shop or running shop would do very well in that location, considering the Swamp Rabbit Trail would be right outside the door. Basically, any kind of outdoors store offering recreational apparel and equipment should be successful there.

Too bad Hincapie Sportswear is expanding at their current location. They would be a nice addition to the RiverPlace (and vicinity) retail scene.

Wow! This is stunning! When is the groundbreaking? Wasn't RP Phase III going to go here? I'm not complaining, but it seems odd that it is going into this location if that was already planned.
If I'm not mistaken, phase three of RiverPlace is proposed for the already vacant city parking lot just up River Street from this location. There is a significant amount of land up there awaiting something dramatic and I am dying to see RiverPlace fully developed - or at least heavily in progress again.

In looking at the rendering closer and reading the wording, the cubes (rooms) are called out as "showcases". One looks to have stage drapes, one with a wood interior, etc. I hope that their plan is that each cube showcases/highlights a different aspect of Upstate life.......a cube with wood interior for the mountains / outdoors.......a cube with stage drapes for the performing arts........a cube with a frame for visual arts............a childrens cube with bright colors.........a business & development cube......etc, etc.

If they are going that route, I really, really will like it!

Please be aware that not all of the money needed to build this project has been raised and approval still has to sought before construction can begin.
Are you speaking about Reedy Square or RiverPlace? Either way, I don't think that is a surprise, given the typical process such developments must go through, and the current state of the economy is likely imposing limits on available financing.

In looking at the rendering closer and reading the wording, the cubes (rooms) are called out as "showcases". One looks to have stage drapes, one with a wood interior, etc. I hope that their plan is that each cube showcases/highlights a different aspect of Upstate life.......a cube with wood interior for the mountains / outdoors.......a cube with stage drapes for the performing arts........a cube with a frame for visual arts............a childrens cube with bright colors.........a business & development cube......etc, etc.

If they are going that route, I really, really will like it!

Definitely a cool concept. I noticed those "drapes" as well and wondered what functional role they would play. I am enthusiastic about this place and hoping to hear more detailed information soon. :shades:

Archived