CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was referring to Reedy Square.

If they need additional funds, I'm sure the city can come up with creative ways.

Heck, I'll hold weekend car washes, sell candy bars, sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts, etc and donate all the money to help get this built. :lol:

If by "retail" you mean "art"... I also imagine a cycle shop or running shop would do very well in that location, considering the Swamp Rabbit Trail would be right outside the door. Basically, any kind of outdoors store offering recreational apparel and equipment should be successful there.

Too bad Hincapie Sportswear is expanding at their current location. They would be a nice addition to the RiverPlace (and vicinity) retail scene.

I consider artist spaces to be retail spaces, but aren't the places you mention as well retail functions?? :huh: Anything would be better than the parking facility for the above condos and a set of bathrooms for the children's park...

Wow! This is stunning! When is the groundbreaking? Wasn't RP Phase III going to go here? I'm not complaining, but it seems odd that it is going into this location if that was already planned.

Phase 3 of Riverplace is behind the proposed Reedy Square site (currently a parking lot). The visitor's center will be where the gray building sits today.

One idea I had recently was this:

The Chamber of Commerce could be a part of this project or could relocate adjacent to it. The existing C of C site would be a great place for a residential or mixed-use project with some real density (ie it borders Cleveland park). When the current CofC building was built, DT was all boarded up, which is probably why they didn't build there. Today that has completely changed. Being next to the river and the iconic visitor's center would be a natural fit for a Chamber of Commerce.

Remember the Greenville merchandise store we have discussed wanting/needing downtown? Well, Reedy Square is the perfect place for it if you ask me. :thumbsup:

One thing I really hope they do with Reedy Square is capitalize on the city/metro area as much as they do on the outdoors. We have great outdoorsy stuff, but we also have great performing arts, shopping, dining, etc. I hope they give equal time to both. :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the Chamber of Commerce moving closer to this center.

Remember the Greenville merchandise store we have discussed wanting/needing downtown? Well, Reedy Square is the perfect place for it if you ask me. :thumbsup:

I still really want to see the land across the Reedy developed. Maybe the store could go there, if it's not in the plans for this place. We need more action crossing over the river in addition to any increased movement up the river... :shades:

I consider artist spaces to be retail spaces, but aren't the places you mention as well retail functions?? :huh: Anything would be better than the parking facility for the above condos and a set of bathrooms for the children's park...
Absolutely on all points. It was my personal response to the following quote, but apparently wasn't communicated clearly. :blush:
...We'd be kicking ourselves right now if it didn't offer retail at the ground floor.
I was attempting to say that I would be kicking myself if it didn't include an art (retail) element, also adding that it would be nice to see other shops along the trail supporting such recreational activities. :thumbsup:

What do you all think they are going to do with the green, if thats what it is, colored house thats next to it? Do you think they would leave it, for the character affect, or what? :huh:

That house is (or at least was the last time I checked) office for Greenville Forward. I don't imagine it's going anywhere?

GF used to be there. They are now at 14 Manly Street. Can't remember what is there now, though. That's a great old residence. Gotta look that one up for its history.

Thats what I thought. I looked empty the last time I was by there. That's why I asked.

GF used to be there. They are now at 14 Manly Street. Can't remember what is there now, though. That's a great old residence. Gotta look that one up for its history.
I've been thinking for years that this old house on Reedy View Drive would make an excellent bed & breakfast, or possibly even an intimate dinner theatre on the river. Can you imagine offering guests that incredible downtown location in a charming old home?

I've been thinking for years that this old house on Reedy View Drive would make an excellent bed & breakfast, or possibly even an intimate dinner theatre on the river. Can you imagine offering guests that incredible downtown location in a charming old home?

The old house was the office for the Swamp Fox Railroad for many years, than it was converted to a home (it would make a good B&B).The engine house was located were the Camperdown condo building was supposed to go.

The old house was the office for the Swamp Fox Railroad for many years, than it was converted to a home (it would make a good B&B).The engine house was located were the Camperdown condo building was supposed to go.
Do you mean the "Swamp Rabbit" railroad? I didn't know the Upstate had a connection to Francis Marion's nickname.

With this building being a work of art, sure would be nice if they had a scaled model of the building this weekend at Artisphere, to get the general public excited.
A most excellent idea! The "unveiling" of the masterpiece in model form during the premiere Art festival in the region. The ties are so right, being an iconic work of art and a visitors center for the region. The question is, if this was not intended to be released but was already planned, why delay the public announcement?

It looks like the building this development is to go on has been purchased by Greenville CVB and vacated by the previous tenants which means the project is moving forward.

This is big news. It seems that this project is legit, and not just a pie-in-the-sky plan that people aren't serious about. I look forward to seeing this progress! :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm not aware of all the details, but why is everybody so excited over this thing? To me, it just looks like a bunch of cubes that will probably look like crap in the next 20 years. I'm not against iconic buildings, but this just isn't that amazing to me. At 6 to 7 stories as some had speculated, I figure it would be kind of an eyesore more than anything else. Perhaps I should withhold my judgement until after more detailed renderings appear.

Archived