CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

So, we all know that Reedy Square is going to be an architectural icon for the City of Greenville.

Well, its counterpart to be located in Cleveland, SC (The Blue Wall Centre) appears to be aiming for nothing short of great, as well. I found this on the structural engineer's site: http://www.halvorsonandpartners.com/projects/65

Thoughts??!! :thumbsup:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we all know that Reedy Square is going to be an architectural icon for the City of Greenville.

Well, its counterpart to be located in Cleveland, SC (The Blue Wall Centre) appears to be aiming for nothing short of great, as well. I found this on the structural engineer's site: http://www.halvorsonandpartners.com/projects/65

Thoughts??!! :thumbsup:

Great find. :thumbsup:

The design seems to definitely fit the mountainside location. Having the amphitheater stair step down underneath the building is quite attractive, IMO. I'm ready to see these GO Centers get built.

I'm assuming 'Dream Big Greenville' is the one behind finding the architect. Whoever it was, did a great job! Studio Gang is a definite rising star, and Greenville's projects are going to add to their resume quite well! Who knows, maybe Greenville will grace the cover of Architectural Record magazine in a few years... :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

ULI South Carolina - Reedy Square: Preview of an Innovative Urban Concept to Promote Tourism and Enhance the Visitor Experience in Greenville and the Upstate

Event Start Date: 10/26/2010 4:45 pm

Event End Date: 10/26/2010 7:00 pm

Location: Innovate Buildling at 148 River Street in Greenville SC

Join ULI South Carolina for a special preview of Reedy Square. Together with owner, Dream Big Greenville, Inc., the development manager will present the project, its design, development process and economic impact to the Upstate. Participants will also learn about how a thorough and real time marketing analysis has been integral to developing the programming and design of Reedy Square.

Reedy Square is a project like no other previously imagined. It will be a catalyst for economic growth, an engine of job creation and an icon of environmental architecture. Designed by Studio Gang out of Chicago, last year’s winner of the best high rise in the world for Aqua tower in Chicago, Reedy Square will showcases the Upstate’s exceptional natural and cultural wonders, engaging citizens and guests to further discover and explore our region’s remarkable experiences.

Speakers:

Bogue Wallin, Dream Big Greenville, Inc.

Scott Corwon, Managing Member, IMPACTS

Chris Stone, President, Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau

Link: https://netforum.uli.org/iWeb/upload/Reedy_Square_Event%20Flyer1.pdf

This is in direct conflict with the Public hearing on Stone avenue. Poor planning on someone's part.

That said, i can't wait to see what this looks like.

Final renderings are floating around. I have a fundraising brochure on it. It looks awesome! Greenville will be getting lots of attention from the architecture world when this one is complete... :thumbsup:

Final renderings are floating around. I have a fundraising brochure on it. It looks awesome! Greenville will be getting lots of attention from the architecture world when this one is complete... :thumbsup:

Have they addressed our desire for an observation deck with substantial height? If so, would you please share the concept with us? Are you able to share any additional details about the facility without betraying the developers' trust? Thank you in advance!

Have they addressed our desire for an observation deck with substantial height? If so, would you please share the concept with us? Are you able to share any additional details about the facility without betraying the developers' trust? Thank you in advance!

The height isn't THAT tall, but I think we'll all be quite satisfied with it. When I have some time from school work, I'll thumb back through the booklet. It's gonna be scaled well for the West End and to be a Riverplace neighbor, IMO. There's lots of gallery space, and such. Thus, without a lot of levels, the floor to ceiling heights should be pretty generous...

The height isn't THAT tall, but I think we'll all be quite satisfied with it. When I have some time from school work, I'll thumb back through the booklet. It's gonna be scaled well for the West End and to be a Riverplace neighbor, IMO. There's lots of gallery space, and such. Thus, without a lot of levels, the floor to ceiling heights should be pretty generous...

Thanks for the info! Is the design similar to the initial rendering we saw, or a significant departure from it?

Oh well, that is unfortunate then. Hopefully its functionality will exceed expectations and figuratively raise its stature as both a center for regional information and a potentially "iconic" piece of architecture.

It's going to have lots of terraces and outdoor plazas, a 'visitor experience gallery', a local artist gallery, a Swamp Rabbit trail overlook, rental for bikes and possibly kayaks ( I believe), as well as a launching point into the river. They describe it as a place where you'll not only take visitors (and they'll go themselves), but that you'd use as a meet-up/hangout point for locals beginning or continuing a day out in downtown.

It's four levels, and reuses the wood from the interior of the Klingman Williams building that's currently on the site. Plus, solar panels will power the building. :thumbsup:

I really hope this is a visitor center for the Greenville metro, not just a place to talk about mountain hikes and boating adventures. Don't get me wrong, we have some great outdoor excursions nearby that should be emphasized. But we also have amazing attractions in Greenville like great restaurants, shopping, architectural gems, tours, universities, museums, galleries, concerts, etc.

In other words, I hope they are very thorough in touting our city and region as a great place to experience. Don't hold back! We aren't "little 'ol insignificant Greenville!" :thumbsup:

It's going to have lots of terraces and outdoor plazas, a 'visitor experience gallery', a local artist gallery, a Swamp Rabbit trail overlook, rental for bikes and possibly kayaks ( I believe), as well as a launching point into the river. They describe it as a place where you'll not only take visitors (and they'll go themselves), but that you'd use as a meet-up/hangout point for locals beginning or continuing a day out in downtown.

It's four levels, and reuses the wood from the interior of the Klingman Williams building that's currently on the site. Plus, solar panels will power the building. :thumbsup:

I'm loving the sounds of this. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

From the Greenville News:

Gifts and pledges currently total $15.3 million, Wickensimer said, including major contributions of as much $500,000. That leaves roughly $8 million, he said. A national search firm is hunting for a CEO who would start soon, put a face on the project and push it daily.

Taxpayer money is already pledged to the project, including $5 million in county restaurant tax revenues and $3.5 million backed by city hotel taxes contingent once backers hit 85 percent of the total goal.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It looks like the chances are good, since they mentioned they will allow "Art Dealers" to display there. <playing dumb here...> Hey, wasn't there some art dealer trying to block another major downtown construction project? And now this project welcomes that nimby talented artists in particular?

Interesting.... :thumbsup:

(Yeah, I'm throwing this out just to see what conspiracy theorists we may have. Shame on me.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived