CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

• 4 months later...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

This news story got me thinking about Reedy Square and the development of tourism in the Upstate. A group of people in Pickens are trying to get the old 16th century Keowee Valley fort rebuilt. Today, it's under the waters of Lake Keowee. I think Fort Prince George would be a great addition to the type of tourism that the Upstate can attract.

You can read more about their efforts here: Greenville News

• 2 weeks later...

The print edition has a much better rendering. It is 'further away' from the subject and shows more.

What do you think of the rendering? Based on the small amount of info we have (description and limited artist renderings) I am not sure if this will be unique in a cool and progressive way, or unique in a weird and out-of-place way. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful it won't be a bland brick building that looks just like others we have...but I also want it to be unique in a way that will age well over time and not look out of place. I'm sure the powers-that-be will make a great decision, especially since the firm that designed it is very well respected nationally. :thumbsup:

What do you think of the rendering? Based on the small amount of info we have (description and limited artist renderings) I am not sure if this will be unique in a cool and progressive way, or unique in a weird and out-of-place way. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful it won't be a bland brick building that looks just like others we have...but I also want it to be unique in a way that will age well over time and not look out of place. I'm sure the powers-that-be will make a great decision, especially since the firm that designed it is very well respected nationally. :thumbsup:

The print edition version looks pretty impressive to me. Much more so than the original rendering that came out many months ago.

I agree the timeless aspect is important, albeit difficult to assess.

It'll be exciting to see some more descriptive renderings. We're getting the 'feel' of the project right now, but it's still somewhat vague-- I'm sure they're not entirely sure of how much space and stuff they actually need... All of that will come with time, and we'll see some images that are very exact.

In WYFF's story on Reedy Square tonight, whoever was being interviewed acknowledged that this was a one-of-a-king building, and there's no precedent to look at. :thumbsup:

Definitely less dramatic than the original concept which was 4-5 stories tall. I know it will work well though.

Call me crazy, but the proposed building still looks like it's 4-5 stories tall going off the Greenville News rendering. dontknow.gif Also, I believe the other rendering was from a different vantage point than this one so it's hard to say whether anything has changed exterior wise or not. We'll have to wait for more renderings to confirm one way or the other.

The printed image is basically the same one posted online. The online version was merely cropped. As you can clearly see, the building appears to be only three stories high and shows just one "cube" instead of multiple cubes as shown in the original rendering. It seems fairly obvious where the $12 Million was cut, in my opinion. You decide...

Original design:

ReedySquare_01bcopy.jpg

Updated design:

ReedySquare_Updated_01copy.jpg

I think the revised design is timeless. The fact these will be "wooden" boxes, and the open / glass walls to let in nature and coexist with surroundings......all seems rather Frank Lloyd Wright inspired (his designs were/are timless). I like that it simply is what it is......cubes / boxes.....existing with surroundings. Thank God there is no "faux" stucco, Disneyland type facade, cutsie Southern attitude, etc.

I think the revised design is timeless. The fact these will be "wooden" boxes, and the open / glass walls to let in nature and coexist with surroundings......all seems rather Frank Lloyd Wright inspired (his designs were/are timless)...

I don't think the boxes will be wooden but rather concrete and perhaps stone, based on the structural design shown in the updated artist's rendering. It reminds me of the Greenville County Museum of Art, which is not completely spectacular by any measure, but is intriguingly designed and beautiful in its own way, especially on the interior.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed in the height, particularly because it will offer less of a birds-eye view of downtown and the mountains on the northern horizon beyond the Academy bridge. An observation deck/tower with real height would be a nice attraction and memorable icon for downtown, in my opinion.

I don't think the boxes will be wooden but rather concrete and perhaps stone, based on the structural design shown in the updated artist's rendering. It reminds me of the Greenville County Museum of Art, which is not completely spectacular by any measure, but is intriguingly designed and beautiful in its own way, especially on the interior.

I should have worded that better. Obviously, they will not be constructed from wood, but everything I have heard and seen about the design, states that lots of natural woods will be incorporated. Even look at the different textures on each box, while maybe not actually wood, they are going for a design to invoke the feel of wooden boxes.

This all sounds great. I think it will be an urban icon for our awesome city. :thumbsup:

I really like the idea of an observation tower on the property. Nothing too huge (not 80-100 stories), but tall enough to get a view of the area and also enhance the skyline. I wonder if those behind this project have considered this (or would consider it)? :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

The City of Greenville will be providing $3.5 million for the construction of Reedy Square if enough private funds are raised for the project. Very similar deal to the Peace Center renovation plan.

I know it's probably been discussed, but how much money needs to be raised (excluding this $3.5 million from the city) for Reedy Square construction to begin?

I know it's probably been discussed, but how much money needs to be raised (excluding this $3.5 million from the city) for Reedy Square construction to begin?

Construction should begin about the same time as the Peacock restart, lol. Sorry to be so negative but I really don't get excited about someone(company, individual, group etc.) announcing plans to build this or that but the only problem is they don't have the money, need to raise more, need to find financing, need to find tenants etc, etc. Things just never seem to come together, especially on larger projects.

Construction should begin about the same time as the Peacock restart, lol. Sorry to be so negative but I really don't get excited about someone(company, individual, group etc.) announcing plans to build this or that but the only problem is they don't have the money, need to raise more, need to find financing, need to find tenants etc, etc. Things just never seem to come together, especially on larger projects.

Riverplace says hi. :whistling:

Main at Broad says 'sup. :shades:

I also think we will be hearing more about Washington Square soon.

Reedy Square will happen, in terms of funding, it is similiar to the Kroc Center. Private funds have to be raised, but they are already a ways down the road on that. I predict and early 2012 groundbreaking, if not sooner. if the economy were better, it would be sooner. The city and county and business community want it, so it will happen in time.

UPDATE: Accordign to this week's Journal, the city has formally committed $3.5mm to the project. A total of $10mm must be raised privately. The project budget is $24mm. Groundbreaking is expected for Feb. 2012.

Archived