CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The group working to implement this project just hired a full-time fundraiser, the same person that raised the funds for the Kroc Center. It is a $23 mm project and I think they have $10mm or so to go. Albeit, a lot of what has been raised is in local government funding.

They expect to break ground in about a year. It wouldn't make sense to tear down the building until funding is in place, because it has economic resale value.

I expect it to happen, but we have to be a little more patient. Just as with the Children's Musuem and the History Museum, the bad economy meant it took longer to complete.

• 2 months later...

OUTSTANDING!. I really love the architecture, and it appears the sections that were once slated to not be included have been returned. I hope....

Once finished, you can bet this fantastic structure will always get displayed in montages of Greenville, just like a certain bridge/water fall. I guess that will be our "signature" low-rise! ;)

This is the first time I've noticed that it appears Cox Street will become a mall extending to the Reedy River. Nice touch. I just think it's a shame that River Street is so heavily traveled, although it also appears that this project will incorporate a previously proposed walkway under the River Street bridge.

This is the first time I've noticed that it appears Cox Street will become a mall extending to the Reedy River. Nice touch. I just think it's a shame that River Street is so heavily traveled, although it also appears that this project will incorporate a previously proposed walkway under the River Street bridge.

There are plans to take the Swamp Rabbit Trail under River Street.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I like this design. While I'm glad it isn't the standard brick and glass theme, I hope that the originality they are aiming for doesn't stand out in a bad way. This building should be unique and a landmark, for sure - but in a positive way. I'm hoping this grows on me.

I don't. It's a fish out of water. Another City Hall or W. Washington Post Office.

Most downtown architecture is more traditional, and it should blend in with that style. I find Riverplace to be attractive, for example.

Booooo!

It's comments like that which holds back the potential of Greenville. We're in the unique position to have some thought provoking architecture (in a small town) but if folks can't open up to the idea of progression than we will be stuck in "ho-hum" America.

Whatever. Let Cesar Pelli or Daniel Liebeskind do a provocative piece to his heart's content and I'll go for it; it'll likely be a visionary showplace of a building. Otherwise, it's the next 1970s City Hall.

ETA: McAlister Square, the Daniel Building, that post office on West Washington Street and more were "progression" back in the day.

Whatever. Let Cesar Pelli or Daniel Liebeskind do a provocative piece to his heart's content and I'll go for it; it'll likely be a visionary showplace of a building. Otherwise, it's the next 1970s City Hall.

ETA: McAlister Square, the Daniel Building, that post office on West Washington Street and more were "progression" back in the day.

If you're going to critique a building's design, maybe you could provide a basis for your bashing. Simply not being traditional/classical/etc design does not count.

I see nothing wrong with City Hall. At least it's not Boston's.

If you're going to critique a building's design, maybe you could provide a basis for your bashing. Simply not being traditional/classical/etc design does not count.

I see nothing wrong with City Hall. At least it's not Boston's.

As I posted, I'm fine with first-tier architects giving something thought-provoking a go. A progressive building or other work of art that sets its field on a new course is worth having; for example, Bauhaus and Art Deco changed architecture (and more), and the Impressionists changed painting, as their designs set new standards. I may not be a fan of Bauhaus, or particularly Art Deco, but the first examples of those types set architecture on a new course and would be worth having.

I'm also fine with a building whose scale fits in with its surroundings, even if the design doesn't match. I.M. Pei's pyramid at the Louvre, for example, isn't traditional but it has appropriate scale for its surroundings.

Reedy Square has none of these characteristics. There is nothing sufficiently novel about it; its design doesn't match downtown; its scale doesn't match the area; etc.

Greenville's City Hall is ugly. Boston's is worse, however.

Reedy Square has none of these characteristics. There is nothing sufficiently novel about it; its design doesn't match downtown; its scale doesn't match the area; etc.

The first part of your post made sense. But, everything went out the window when you shared this comment.

Jeanne Gang is considered a rising "first tier" architect to everyone who is in the field of architecture or follows the profession. To have TWO of her "early" works in Greenville is going to be a gem!

As far as scale is concerned, I have no idea how you can call it out of scale for its surroundings. Care to elaborate?

This might sound kind of harsh but here it goes-

Personally, I think it's fantastic looking. Much better than the crap the local architects have designed around here recently. It not matching the rest of the architecture in downtown Greenville is what makes it a great project in my opinion. I'm sick of seeing brick buildings with round elements on the end getting built. i.e. Terrace at Riverplace, Hampton Inn, and Courtyard by Marriott.

Thank goodness for Studio Gang and 4240 to save us from the same old stuff over and over again. Oh and those companies I just named are ranked as two of the best architecture firms in the country. They have both won numerous prestigious awards for their projects. Everything from Aqua Tower with Studio Gang to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge with 4240.

Archived