CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

Personally, I think it's fantastic looking. Much better than the crap the local architects have designed around here recently. It not matching the rest of the architecture in downtown Greenville is what makes it a great project in my opinion. I'm sick of seeing brick buildings with round elements on the end getting built. i.e. Terrace at Riverplace, Hampton Inn, and Courtyard by Marriott.

Thank goodness for Studio Gang and 4240 to save us from the same old stuff over and over again. Oh and those two companies I just named are ranked as some of the best architecture firms in the country. They have both won numerous prestious awards for their projects. Everything from Aqua with Studio Gang to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge with 4240.

I completely agree. Beyond that Reedy Square will not be within sight from Main Street so it will not detract from the buildings there. It is in my opinion, a revolutionary piece of architecture that will strangely compliment its neighbor Linky Stone Park. A park that also slightly rejects the averageness of Greenville design. I think Reedy Square along with the One Development are bringing the amazing modern designs of ICAR into the city center. A huge plus.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[…]brick buildings with round elements on the end getting built.

Do you realize how bland/generic and boxy these buildings would appear without their signature cylindrical elements? From the ground they are more attractive with these features. More importantly however, they provide opportunities for more attractive interior space, views included. Downtown needs more curves and angles, in my opinion.

Do you realize how bland/generic and boxy these buildings would appear without their signature cylindrical elements?

But does that "cylindrical element" always have to be a plate in the sky? I don't think so. Its like Greenville is preparing for a massive UFO landing or something, sheeesh.

But does that cylindrical element always have to include a plate-like cap on top? I don't think so.

I edited your post to reflect the more accurate question. Cylinders and discs are two different shapes. I'd love to see something more dynamic than a flat rooftop (or rooftop element) for a change.

I'd love to see something more dynamic than a flat rooftop (or rooftop element) for a change.

Something dome-shaped, conical, pyramidal, or even atypical would be great. The only notable change from the monotony of flat tower rooftops in downtown is the standard gable roof on the Poinsett Plaza building.

Something dome-shaped, conical, pyramidal, or even atypical would be great. The only notable change from the monotony of flat tower rooftops in downtown is the standard gable roof on the Poinsett Plaza building.

I agree with you. Different shapes are wonderful. But you were defending the plates in the sky and then changed it to ". . . dome shaped, conical, pyramidal, or even atypical . . ." Not cool, so I'll edit your post for you.

Edited by scgubers.

Do you realize how bland/generic and boxy these buildings would appear without their signature cylindrical elements (AKA plates in the sky)?

Because the only "signature cylindrical elements" around here are . . . plates in the sky.

• 1 month later...

The Journal has an article on Reedy Square. The New Market tax Credits will be used to fund about $4.5mm of the project. The private fundraising goal is $10mm of which about $2mm has been pledged so far. The city and county will pay the balance of the $23.5 million budget.

The operating budget is being fleshed out now as well.

Do you realize how bland/generic and boxy these buildings would appear without their signature cylindrical elements? From the ground they are more attractive with these features. More importantly however, they provide opportunities for more attractive interior space, views included. Downtown needs more curves and angles, in my opinion.

They are nicely done in Greenville, but at the same time overdone--not just in Greenville, but everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of stuff is moving with this project . . . Beyond what was mentioned in the Greenville Journal. This upcoming fall/winter should be fun and interesting.

Good to hear. This is a real catalyst project IMO. Completing it would be intrumental in getting Riverplace completed, and perhaps also Bo Aughtry's potential project for apartments (see Rumors thread).

Is there anything you can share yet?

Good to hear. This is a real catalyst project IMO. Completing it would be intrumental in getting Riverplace completed, and perhaps also Bo Aughtry's potential project for apartments (see Rumors thread).

Is there anything you can share yet?

Unfortunately there is not.

Thanks for sharing. The more I see of this, the more I like it. I really hope it gets built as designed and it's 'value engineered' into something less than what is shown. I feel like that happened with the Kroc Center, particularly the pool and golf aspects.

I really think this has the potential to do more for Greenville than any projects on the horizon, after the One project.

I think it was already value engineered-- or brought into the scope of what they believed they could feasibly fundraise. I think the revised version will be a stronger project, both architecturally and programmatically.

I really think this has the potential to do more for Greenville than any projects on the horizon, after the One project.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm interested in knowing what's going on with this. I've heard interesting, yet discouraging rumors. I hope we see it happen sooner rather than later. I'm not sure if the source was speaking with a grudge or what... Anyone have info to share?

I'm interested in knowing what's going on with this. I've heard interesting, yet discouraging rumors. I hope we see it happen sooner rather than later. I'm not sure if the source was speaking with a grudge or what... Anyone have info to share?

I hear: money issue, location issue and design issue. All of which could quickly be resolved, but.......

Details? 

I hear: money issue, location issue and design issue. All of which could quickly be resolved, but.......

Only because you seem to "know" everything I checked up on this. Location is not an issue. Not even close. The land to be developed is owned by the nonprofit. Design issue, once again wrong. As for the money, hasn't that been the problem since it was first announced? 

• 1 month later...

Archived