CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Reedy Square

gman430

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but I'm putting this one in the I'll believe when I see it column.

Yep.  Several issues no one seems to be wanting to talk about with this project.  Seems to be a great deal of "hope and change".  Ooops.....some do nothing national politician has used those words before.  LOL.

Yep. Several issues no one seems to be wanting to talk about with this project. Seems to be a great deal of "hope and change". Ooops.....some do nothing national politician has used those words before. LOL.

Then for heavens sake stop being an elitist prick and share. You're perpetuating the problem if you don't talk about the issues either.

The only 'issues' are in the mind of gs3.  That's why no one else has heard of them.  The land and design have been in place for years.  There is still money that needs to be raised. 

Just like the Kroc Center, the majority of the funding is PRIVATE, and like the Kroc Center it has taken awhile because the economy has been and still is soft. I guess the city or county could raise taxes to make up the difference, but that isn't the Greenville way. The same person that managed the fundraising campaign for Kroc is doing the campaign for Reedy Square. 

Like the Kroc Center, it will get built, but it obviously won't be on the original timetable.  We have to be patient on this one.

The only 'issues' are in the mind of gs3.  That's why no one else has heard of them.  The land and design have been in place for years.  There is still money that needs to be raised. 

Just like the Kroc Center, the majority of the funding is PRIVATE, and like the Kroc Center it has taken awhile because the economy has been and still is soft. I guess the city or county could raise taxes to make up the difference, but that isn't the Greenville way. The same person that managed the fundraising campaign for Kroc is doing the campaign for Reedy Square. 

Like the Kroc Center, it will get built, but it obviously won't be on the original timetable.  We have to be patient on this one.

Vicky, your continued personal attacks make me feel soooo loved!  Smooches.  XXOO.    You know a couple of the issues.....I would think?  Maybe not.  Anyway, lets just continue to count how long until this development EVER sees the light of day.  We've been counting for years now and we'll continue to do so.  The money issues go deeper than just getting it initially built.

City and County have already set their own funds to help it.

If they are starting construction early next year, I am sure they are confident that they will have the money by then.

I'm still not a fan of the design.  Yes, it's edgy and will draw attention to itself, but I'm not sure most people will find it to be a positive thing.  I can imagine the occasional person finding it cool, but many people will be confused and wonder what "that crazy looking thing" is.  Maybe the designers hope that confusion will draw people in to investigate.

I also do not think it is a design that will age well.  I see it being a design that we'll look back on in 20 years and say, "What were we thinking?"  But the good thing is that it will be a true visitor's center and a starting point for those visiting the area.

Vicky, your continued personal attacks make me feel soooo loved!  Smooches.  XXOO.    You know a couple of the issues.....I would think?  Maybe not.  Anyway, lets just continue to count how long until this development EVER sees the light of day.  We've been counting for years now and we'll continue to do so.  The money issues go deeper than just getting it initially built.

If there are ANY issues besides needing more money to build it, I am not aware of them.  Why don't you enlighten us, girl.  

If your next post doesn't provide details, then I guess that gives the rest of us our answer.

If there are ANY issues besides needing more money to build it, I am not aware of them.  Why don't you enlighten us, girl.  

If your next post doesn't provide details, then I guess that gives the rest of us our answer.

Well thank you Vickeee.  But a tip here....it's "Ghurrl", not girl.   You have to get that low gutteral sound and roll the R.  :)  

Why should I enlighten you?  Do the work yourself or ask citylife / gman430 to simply repost what he finds elsewhere on the internet (as he simply does with all his supposed "news").  LOL!    Some on here obviously know the money issues.  Lets just see when, if EVER, this thing gets built.  Going on 4 years of talk now.  Another 4 years maybe?  Cheers!

Well thank you Vickeee.  But a tip here....it's "Ghurrl", not girl.   You have to get that low gutteral sound and roll the R.  :)  

Why should I enlighten you?  Do the work yourself or ask citylife / gman430 to simply repost what he finds elsewhere on the internet (as he simply does with all his supposed "news").  LOL!    Some on here obviously know the money issues.  Lets just see when, if EVER, this thing gets built.  Going on 4 years of talk now.  Another 4 years maybe?  Cheers!

It is common knowledge that the monetary goal has not been met.  The Kroc Center took at least 4 years but it got built.

• 1 year later...

There's a new rendering in the Greenville Journal about this. Now called Reedy Point.

I liked the previous proposal. This one looks too corporate for my taste. However, I'm sure it will be refined as money is raised and it gets further designed. Fingers crossed.

• 8 months later...

Reedy Square Tourism Center canceled

I think this site is well suited for the 'Conference Center' concept, and in that situation could still include a smaller version of what the Visitor's Center was intended to offer.

The "Blue Wall' project on Hwy 11 seems to have been totally silent as well.  There must be a big pot of bed money that the County has built up too.  

• 1 month later...

Millions spent on abandoned tourism projects

A real shame to see so much money wasted.  Hard to believe that much was spent with nothing to show for it besides the land purchase and some improvements at Camp Spearhead.   

Maybe the land and the city's unspent contribution can be use for the Conference Center instead. Provided of course that adequate demand for the facility itself is present.   

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived