Stolen Bike Alert! (Downtown)

seely

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be on the lookout. Have had 3 bikes stolen in 4 years with heavy-duty chain locks, U-LOCKS and a supposedly unpenetrable very thick handcuff-like lock. It's incrediby annoying. The cops said bike thieves go around with compact power tools to break locks. Finally just started riding a bike that looks like crap but rides great.

Will be on the lookout. Have had 3 bikes stolen in 4 years with heavy-duty chain locks, U-LOCKS and a supposedly unpenetrable very thick handcuff-like lock. It's incrediby annoying. The cops said bike thieves go around with compact power tools to break locks. Finally just started riding a bike that looks like crap but rides great.

Where have your bicycles been stolen from? I have not had a bicycle stolen in the 4 years I've lived here. I had a bike stolen just before I went off to college, but that's because something blocked the garage and bounced it back open one afternoon and someone just easily walked off with the bike.

There isn't really a lock that can stop a truly determined thief. That's why you need to use other methods to deter, mostly trying to keep it parked in a visible, safer area. But, I know that's not always easy.

R-e-a-l-l-y high-end bikes (anyone recognize the name Campagnolo?) might be parted out. I doubt that the scrap metal would net as much as a re-sale to a friend or acquaintance. (I once had a mandolin stolen -- it wasn't locked -- and later heard about guys wandering through bars looking for a buyer.)

Check with GRPD and other jurisdictions that recover property. And come to the bike auction next spring, it might be there.

The subject bike is unique enough that it might be spotted on the street.

Funny story: my brother used to ride to high school. His bike took a detour on a Friday evening. He'd registered it with our Podunk municipality (and the reaction when he called was, "what do you want us to do?").

Next day someone called; she'd found a bike in her front yard. The thieves were unable to get very far, as she lived across the street from the school. She'd called the cops, they'd put two and two together, and given her our phone number.

When my mother talked to her, the woman said, "can you describe the bike?"

Ma said, "my son is very tall."

"Come get it."

(He still is.)

snow-ute.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My bike was stolen off my roof rack last night at 3rd and broadway (in the Union Square parking lot)

If anyone see's it, let me know, it is pretty unique.

Bare aluminum mountain bike frame, pink shredder sticker on the top tube, single speed (no gears) with a tensioner. Red suspension front fork. Red front v brake, black rear vee. Platform pedals.

No other bikes like it, if you see it, give me or the cops a ring 616-99zero 3416 thanks

Bike looks like this

3527842447_1d21bcc1fe.jpg

• 1 month later...

My Gary Fisher Aquila was stolen out of my garage sometime within the last 24 hours (not sure how it went down, since I'm vigilant about keeping my garage door closed/locked!). I'm devastated!

I live in the Fuller/Fulton area. So I'm guessing it may show up in the same area or in/around Eastown. Please PM me with any info that might help me track it down. Or call the police. I've filed a police report, but realize there's very little they can do.

Bike looks just like the pic, except it's got slick tires and two water bottle cages.

Thanks!

*fish

garyfisheraquila.jpg

Archived