Celadon New Town

GRDadof3

It looks like Grand Rapids Township might be getting another mixed-use development, this one on Knapp just West of the Meijer store. The property is only 19 acres, but they hope to include 147 residential units (lofts and townhouses), 42,500 sq ft of retail along Knapp, single-family homes, live-work units, and several parks and a community pool. I have not seen the site plans or renderings for this, but it is being proposed by Mosaic Properties.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5580.xml&coll=6

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Grand Rapids Township might be getting another mixed-use development, this one on Knapp just West of the Meijer store. The property is only 19 acres, but they hope to include 147 residential units (lofts and townhouses), 42,500 sq ft of retail along Knapp, single-family homes, live-work units, and several parks and a community pool. I have not seen the site plans or renderings for this, but it is being proposed by Mosaic Properties.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5580.xml&coll=6

Like this proposal or not, and I'm not sure I do, Mosaic is a quality company. They defiantly pay attention to details. It would be nice to see the site plan and renderings.

Like this proposal or not, and I'm not sure I do, Mosaic is a quality company. They defiantly pay attention to details. It would be nice to see the site plan and renderings.

I was just going to make this comment. It sounds like Mosaic is the right company for the job. I emailed Brad to see if we could get a site plan or somethin... Never hurts to ask :D

• 3 weeks later...

Twoshort was able to scare up some renderings for us on this project. Excellent work! Looks pretty interesting:

8A9C92C05DE211DAAC1B796718F73B1D.jpg

8F6E18005DE211DA89785A8418F73B1D.jpg

8DADA3505DE211DA8CB108E718F73B1D.jpg

and appears to have quite a bit more residential than the "village" project. Garden Park is right near the corner of Knapp & Leffingwell (close to Kent Skills Center and Catholic Centrals sports complex). They do have to go back for some revisions to the township still (don't know what).

Yikes! Thats a lot nicer than I was expecting! However, I was wondering if the streets in this development connect the existing streets that you see in the far left part of the first rendering or is this one way in, one way out?

If I had to guess, I would bet the township will want duel access to the project due to the number of residential units (over 160). I'm just wondering what the building is at the lower right out on Knapp?

Attached is a plan that was submitted for Garden Park in October. The plan will be changing, but the overall mix of uses, architecture, building types and street pattern will still hold true to the original concept.

The plan does intend for connection to Leffingwell to the west and there is one additional possible connection to the North and one possible connection to the East.

The building on Knapp, which is on an out parcel, is intended as a two story office building. Its architecture will be consistent with that of the rest of the project.

This site is very constrained, not only because of zoning hurdles, but because of a large amount of wetlands. Which is one of the reasons for some of the tweaks that will be occurring in the next generation plan. These wetlands are primarily on the Southeast part of the site.

SUBMITTAL_COLOR_PLAN2.jpg

Welcome GR Town Planner! Thanks for the site plan and the update. One quick question, the Press reported this as South of Knapp and East of Leffingwell (I think they were wrong). Is this NORTH of Knapp? and if so, would the East connection join with Celebration Village?

It is north of Knapp, just east of the intersection of Knapp and Leffingwell. There are three homes on that corner that are preserved.

There is a possible connection to the East, that could someday connect to Celebration Village, but the project is not contiguous with Celebration.

Interesting indeed. Does anyone have elevations for the homes or condos? :whistling: And I wonder if there is going to be much landscaping going on in that town square area. Does anyone know what they mean by "live-work"? Is that apartments or condos above retail?? :D That would be great if they were...

It is north of Knapp, just east of the intersection of Knapp and Leffingwell. There are three homes on that corner that are preserved.

There is a possible connection to the East, that could someday connect to Celebration Village, but the project is not contiguous with Celebration.

Ah, thanks. It sounds like you are involved with the development, so good luck! It's a great looking concept, and one of the best TND/New Urbanism designs I've seen in this area yet. I live in the Township, and I'm EXCITED by all the future development proposals that are coming out, especially those that DON'T look like Celebration Village. ;) Now if I can just convince my NIMBY neighbors :whistling:

-Jeff

Here some additional info on the development....this came from Mosaic Properties

Residences will primarily be condos, lofts and townhomes, but there will be some single family houses (approx 1500 - 1800 sq feet). The "live/work" units will be lofts above retail stores.

It doesn't sound like there will be a lot of retail located in the development, but some shops (cafes, etc) and possibly a few small offices.

The retail that will be located in this development will most likely have residential above, so it can be termed mixed-use as a building typology.

The retail is envisioned as "cottage retail" which is a bit different from what we would think of as "main street retail".

Cottage shop retail resembles a residential building or slightly less dense storefront type. Usually these buildings are two story with some one-and-a-half and single story mixed in. The ground floor has a shopfront base with lots of transparency and the upper floors have vertically oriented windows.

Historically these building types occurred in areas of transition, when residential buildings were converted to retail along street car lines. Sometimes storefronts were extended from the home to the lot line, like the Wealthy Street Bakery building.

Other examples of these include many of the buildings in Gaslight Village.

Where's the Grid??? Why so curvy? What happened to my Grid!

I know in many TND style developments, curved streets are a way to slow traffic/stop speeding with out the use of those annoying speed bumps. I've seen some communities where they had to get approval from the fire department on the "curviness" of the road, to make sure firetrucks could get down and handle the turns in the neighborhoods. Not sure if that's the reason here or not, but it may be

• 1 month later...

This most recent submittal, which includes very thorough conceptual design of most of the buildings, is for a zoning change to PUD.

Upon PUD zoning being granted, a site plan would then need to be approved per PUD requirements.

In this case, Mosaic Properties has put together a very thorough submittal package for this phase of the project.

This has potential to be a very nice community due not only to the concept of a mixed-use neighborhood, but also because of the vision of the developer, who has a very strong desire to create a sense of place.

This most recent submittal, which includes very thorough conceptual design of most of the buildings, is for a zoning change to PUD.

Upon PUD zoning being granted, a site plan would then need to be approved per PUD requirements.

In this case, Mosaic Properties has put together a very thorough submittal package for this phase of the project.

This has potential to be a very nice community due not only to the concept of a mixed-use neighborhood, but also because of the vision of the developer, who has a very strong desire to create a sense of place.

Aparently, the last meeting did go well. They're hoping for a vote on the 24th.

Whats up with that comment in the article by the person who said that retail doesn't have any business in a residential concept? :wacko:

Made by someone who doesn't "Get" the TND way of life, and has probably been brought up in Suburbia, far away from the old "neighborhood" days. Look at any of the old neighborhoods and :w00t: there's retail rather close (or used to be).

I also like the guy who's disappointed that it's "building up like everything else"... man I miss the days of the Prairie and wild steer

Archived