Celadon New Town

GRDadof3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad they changed the name. There are too many mixed-use developments with "Orchard", "Park" and "Garden" in them to keep them straight. :wacko: In that press release, there is no mention of the location. Anyone seeing it from a "real" media outlet would be scratching their heads.

On the way to Knapp's Corner Meijer the other day, I did see new stakes along Knapp St in that area near Leffingwell.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed on the way to Meijer the other day that the first office building of this development has started going up (Spectrum Health maybe?), and the sales office looks to be open. I also found through a little digging that they have a website:

http://www.celadonnewtown.com/

The new building is not in this shot, but over to the right (East) I believe.

2005221617_1e8c54c6cf_b.jpg

• 5 months later...

Cool new sculpture has been erected at the entrance to Celadon. Check it out next time you drive by. It's called "Habitat" and it was creted by local artist Cameron Van Dyke (http://www.cameronvandyke.com/index.html).

I noticed on the way to Meijer the other day that the first office building of this development has started going up (Spectrum Health maybe?), and the sales office looks to be open. I also found through a little digging that they have a website:

http://www.celadonnewtown.com/

The new building is not in this shot, but over to the right (East) I believe.

2005221617_1e8c54c6cf_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've heard from Amy, who works in the Celadon office, that HGTV is coming to do a story on the project and will be filming some in the coming weeks, and again this fall. That should bring some good national exposure to the project. I think this development has some real potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode through tonight at twilight (anyone else marvel at that sunset??). Very nice-looking so far. The builing on Knapp is completed, and one just north of it almost needs doors and windows to be whatever it's going to be.

I've toured suburban developments before (it was a family hobby when I was a kid) but I've never seen one with nice-looking streets, beautiful paver sidewalks, and landscaping installed first thing. Quite a few public spaces, all bench-ed and art-ed out. Signage at each lot depicting what sort of building and use. Street lights (including some by the entrance that would perfectly offset a certain stained glass spinaker we all know and love).

Any company that uses a bicycle logo is okay by me.

Wander through if you can; much more interesting than the petunia planters over by Fred.

My wife and I drove through it and were kind of like ' this is it?' Underwhelming for us at this time, but I know Mosaic does really nice things.

Also, the house in there seems overpriced to me.. I know quality is expensive, but $369k for three bed two bath at knapp and the east beltline? Eeesh.. http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/start?MLS=712713

I know I know, complain complain. :)

My wife and I drove through it and were kind of like ' this is it?' Underwhelming for us at this time, but I know Mosaic does really nice things.

Also, the house in there seems overpriced to me.. I know quality is expensive, but $369k for three bed two bath at knapp and the east beltline? Eeesh.. http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/start?MLS=712713

I know I know, complain complain. :)

No, I thought that house was overpriced too for the size. But East of the Beltline are a lot of homes in that price range and a lot higher, so the area can support that price range. I find the development a bit bizarre myself. But, something like this probably has to be completely built out to really get a sense of what it will feel like when finished.

I've heard from Amy, who works in the Celadon office, that HGTV is coming to do a story on the project and will be filming some in the coming weeks, and again this fall. That should bring some good national exposure to the project. I think this development has some real potential.

Article about Celadon in the Advance - Cadence

Apparently they are getting ready to start another 4 tenant commercial building, and the new retail building near the entrance is set to open soon with a specialty wine store called Crushed Grape. A third residential loft building will start within a week.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am curious as to what people here think about the architecture of Celadon.

With the exception of the single family house, I find it falling way short of what I expected and very disconcerting....a mish-mash of confusing styles and details.

Neither contemporary nor traditional and falling short of representing either. Some very peculiar detailing and techtonic decisions.

At least the architectural types seem resolved.

Archived