Grand Rapids needs to lure Patagonia HQ here

GRDadof3

Now that Wolverine World Wide owns the brand, they'd be a natural fit here (move the HQ here from Ventura, California).

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...tdoors_clo.html

That'd be a nice feather in our cap, and they'd make a great addition to the growing West Michigan sustainable business community. Even better, they should move all of the Merrell and Patagonia folks downtown, and out of that bland 80's office building way out in Rockford.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am confused.

Chris Thorne works for Wolverine, not Patagonia.

Wolverine makes some of Patagonia's shoes and does not own Patagonia.

Am I missing something?

Patagonia's HQ is not moving here.

But, I think trying to lure one of their retail stores would be a more realistic objective....although even that seems like a reach.

Chris Thorne oversees global marketing for Patagonia and Merrell footwear. I was under the impression that Wolverine owned more of Patagonia than just the footwear line. My mistake.

Although, any company anywhere could conceivably make a move here. Why not Patagonia. (waits for people to bash Grand Rapids and say we're not worthy of a company like Patagonia).

Chris Thorne oversees global marketing for Patagonia and Merrell footwear. I was under the impression that Wolverine owned more of Patagonia than just the footwear line. My mistake.

Although, any company anywhere could conceivably make a move here. Why not Patagonia. (waits for people to bash Grand Rapids and say we're not worthy of a company like Patagonia).

• 2 weeks later...
I definitely think that Patagonia's mission and ethics fit in with the culture of sustainability we have carved out here in West Michigan. And there are plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities (although California certainly has no shortage either). I would love to see us court more companies like Patagonia, or perhaps a smaller, but similar company, that could grow to Patagonia's size.

Patagonia HQ is not going to move here. Just does not make any sense. I agree with you on that.

However, could you help me understand what "level" you are referring to when you refer to current stores and demographics? I don't understand your point and I am not sure what you are basing it on: Facts or just opinion?

My understanding from people at Wolverine is that there have been active conversations about opening a Patagonia store in West Michigan but Patagonia has not wanted to pull the trigger. Also, Wolverine and Patagonia have been talking about how to "change" the Wolverine owned Track N Trail stores (there are currently around 15 or 20 stores) to better accomodate more Patagonia gear, which would really eliminate the need for a Patagonia store in many markets yet allow them to target the same customer base.

Grand Rapids (zip 49506)

$52,000 Median Household Income

$139,000 Median Home Value

Grand Rapids (zip 49503)

$30,000 Median Household Income

$79,000 Median Home Value

Grand Rapids (zip 49546)

$60,000 Median Household Income

$185,000 Median Home Value

Archived