Tiger Stadium Demolition

Nitro

Does anyone know of any photo chronicles of the Tiger Stadium demo?

I live in GR and haven't been to that area of Detroit in over a year. I stopped by there this morning and felt a lump in my stomach as I saw the old girl 3/4 gone. I almost cried.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've searched around flickr a few times, and have clicked "most recent" and then gone back in time page by page. I guess there was one individual who was shooting almost every day for several hours. I'm curious if his photos will be posted anywhere.

Such a strange site to see, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is truly hard to believe... I remember going here back in the early 80s when I lived in the Chicago area at the time. What are the plans for the Tiger Stadium land? This seems like a very sequenced and time consuming demolition. Is the city of Detroit going to preserve the field in some way?

Thankfully, we are left with the preservable portion of the old stadium. It could be fitted with about 20,000 seats. Add in some outfield seats, and it should host an MLB Exhibition Game (it's not a spring training venue from Florida or Arizoma). And I wonder what else should be built on the site?

• 1 month later...

Are there any current photos of the stadium since it fell in on itself?

I always thought the ticket booth on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was a logical choice for preservation because people could relate to the location whether the stadium was razed or not and wouldn't hinder plans on future development. To my understanding however, the booth is gone like the Cobb plaque.

Maybe they'll make a marker for home plate and keep the flag pole when future development occurs.

Archived