CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Custom House

gman430

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Portions of the second level have been erected.

Although I've known that this was going to be 4 stories, based on the first level alone, I'm not sure I entirely realized how much of an impact this would have... This is going to be a fairly tall low-rise. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Walking by Friday evening, I was shocked how much life this development (and row of storefronts) adds / will add to West End. Had company in from out of town and they commented on the "neighborhood feel" of West End. Anyone that thinks West End and City Center are the same area, must have issues with the fact Greenville has done such an outstanding job seemlessly joining two areas of the city. :shades: Photos from my morning walk:

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

Anyone that thinks West End and City Center are the same area, must have issues with the fact Greenville has done such an outstanding job seemlessly joining two areas of the city. :shades:

Well said! They are most definitely two separate neighborhoods/districts, each with their own distinct vibe. And they both contribute a lot to Greenville's urban core. A river even separates the two for people who have trouble noticing the obvious differences! :thumbsup:

Your post hits on an important point; something I recently realized. People who talk about downtown being "Main Street" really do our urban core a disservice. It isn't merely a few blocks of cute storefronts and nice plants, but rather many blocks of clean, continuous, interesting developments that cover the whole spectrum of offerings. Main Street is obviously the main artery, and that has provided the continuity needed to enhance the pedestrian experience as you move from one district to the next. But the many important branches along the way should not be minimized either! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by today, looks awesome! This makes a huge impact on Main. I'd love to see more developments like this fill the gaps and grassy lots that are seen throughout the West End.

Most definitely. The West End still has a good many prime options for development on Main Street in particular. I think it will also be really exciting to see Rhett Street develop further. The localized neighborhood feel is very strong in the district and is only going to grow as more development like the Custom House are proposed and built.

Nice pics. Custom House is going to make a big visual impact on that section of the West End, for sure! thumbsup.gif

I hope they plan to bury those power lines. Gross!

I still think one of the most needed items in downtown is affordable condos. Would love to see a medium priced condo building 10-20 stories with prices in the 150-250,000 range.

I still think one of the most needed items in downtown is affordable condos. Would love to see a medium priced condo building 10-20 stories with prices in the 150-250,000 range.

I agree. I think hte closest to DT that could happen is the Stone Ave. corridor, though. Land prices are to high in DT proper.

I agree. I think hte closest to DT that could happen is the Stone Ave. corridor, though. Land prices are to high in DT proper.

I think that'd be a great opportunity for the urbanization and redevelopment of Stone Avenue. Cheaper condos with a connection to the City Center and West End via the trolley that's already in place (service hours would have to expand, but it's there).

I have had several conversations with friends regarding the potential conversion of either The Summit on West Washington Street, or Towers East on North Main Street into affordable apartments and condos targeting young professionals. A new, more accessible facility could be developed for the poor seniors somewhere else near or outside of downtown. They would benefit from having a level area to walk and an adjacent grocery store with pharmacy. The City would benefit from the tax revenue produced by affordable housing for young professionals in Downtown.

I totally agree. If they build up enough, they would be able to justify the real estate cost in the downtown area.

Wasn't the most recent proposal for the Gateway site supposed to include more affordable condos and apartments?

Archived