Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Voice of Reason

Commuter boats

6 posts in this topic

So, a woman I work with was saying how she wished she could take a boat to work as a gripe she had about hartford.

Say a commuter boat leaves Enfield in the AM and Arrives at the riverfront park at 7:50 stopping at several towns along the way.

same thing happens from Middletown.

another boat leaves at an arrival time of 8:50Am

not a bad idea for a unique summer time commuter idea. not exactly sure if it is a great idea but an interesting one for sure.

I would love to boat to work. very relaxing.

I believe the river gets really shallow just north of Hartford, and again somewhere around East Windsor, I'm assuming some sort of craft can navigate it, but I'm just throwing that out there....

The Enfield dam would preclude such a trip. You could do it from Windsor.

I think it would have to be Middletown. As others have mentioned the CT River becomes unnavigable just north of Hartford for boats with any significant draft. That's why Hartford is where it is. In colonial times when water-borne transit was much more efficient, they would sail as far up a river as was possible and disembark there. Albany and Philly are two other examples of this.

I think this woman really wishes she lived in colonial times.

It might work in a place like Boston, with hellacious traffic and water coming in right towards it. In certain places, it's easier to go by boat than by car.

Hartford - only the river... most people would probably stick to 91.