Nashville West

Macushla

So, what's happening with Nashville West? It looks half abandoned. No construction activity, nor has there been any for months. The office/construction trailers have disappeared.

The following from the developer's web-site describing Nashville West:

"Park Commons and outdoor dining terraces. Amphitheatre located in new park area for community events and concerts. Construction and maintenance of park by the developer. Upgrading of current playground facilities."

Where's the Park?

<http://www.nashvillewest.com/SpecialtyShoppingVillage.htm>

-Tina

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming the slowdown of its development is just a casualty of the poor economy/recession. Hopefully, once things start turning around and consumer confidence improves, we'll see projects like this pick up the pace again.

But, the stores there have looked pretty busy from what I've seen over the last few months, including the restaurants. I'm not sure how much business they're actually pulling in. But, the parking lot has been looking increasingly more crowded with a lot of shoppers wandering in and out of the stores. So, I'm trying to think positive about it.

I'm assuming the slowdown of its development is just a casualty of the poor economy/recession. Hopefully, once things start turning around and consumer confidence improves, we'll see projects like this pick up the pace again.

The promises that were made by the developer to the neighborhood in order to win planning approval did not have contingencies that were dependent upon the economy. The developer asked for and got Metro Parks to do a land swap. Our only existing community park in this area for a new location in the development. If I left my lot in the state parts of Nashville West is in, Codes would be on me in a heartbeat.

And developers wonder why neighbourhoods are cynical...!

-Tina

On a somewhat related part of the development, ground is supposed to be broken on Thursday for the new Hill Center at Nashville West on the site of the old H.G. Hill Food Store, according to WSMV and the Nashville Post. The site is to consist of a two-story building, a new Bank of America branch, and a Publix.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2009/5/1...t_breaks_ground

Site Plan:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/documents/NP_...hville_West.pdf

On a somewhat related part of the development, ground is supposed to be broken on Thursday for the new Hill Center at Nashville West on the site of the old H.G. Hill Food Store, according to WSMV and the Nashville Post. The site is to consist of a two-story building, a new Bank of America branch, and a Publix.

Site Plan:

These developments are not related other than being adjacent to each other. Hill Centre is being developed by H.G. Hill Realty Co. The Nashville West developer is Newton Oldacre McDonald.

Interesting note: since posting my original message on this forum on Saturday the website I included a link to of the Nashville West official web page including the artist's renditions of promised park has been taken down.

Not a good sign.

-Tina

Come to think of it, IIRC from a Nashville Post article back in January, the developers are trying to reconfigure plans for the entire development, removing the residential component and adding more restaurant space. I don't know if that's the reason development has stopped altogether or not (aside from the economy playing a factor). Somebody may want to look into it.

There has been a steady stream of new phases opening including two new restaurants and a new section on Charlotte is nearing completion. In addition, a new Hill Center/Publix is coming, the bowling alley kicked out the recycling "dump", and as has been mentioned, traffic seems to be up at all the stores. If you want something real to gripe about, drive from Nashville West due East on Charlotte.

There has been a steady stream of new phases opening including two new restaurants and a new section on Charlotte is nearing completion. In addition, a new Hill Center/Publix is coming, the bowling alley kicked out the recycling "dump", and as has been mentioned, traffic seems to be up at all the stores. If you want something real to gripe about, drive from Nashville West due East on Charlotte.

Dear 'Deninnash',

Did you even read my post?

I'm not "griping" about not having retail or restaurants. I am concerned that Metro parks gave our only existing neighbourhood park to the developer in exchange for a relocated park within Nashville West. That promise has not been kept. Metro is out a park. We gave it away. The steady stream you refer to has dried up. With the removal of office and construction trailers from the development I am afraid their promise will never be be fulfilled.

-Tina

Come to think of it, IIRC from a Nashville Post article back in January, the developers are trying to reconfigure plans for the entire development, removing the residential component and adding more restaurant space. I don't know if that's the reason development has stopped altogether or not (aside from the economy playing a factor). Somebody may want to look into it.

Though I have no proof, I think that some of the tennants interested in Nashville West may be on board with the Bellevue Mall redesign. I'm thinking of the expensive hole that was going to be a parking garage beneath a large tennant. That Publix going into the Hill development would also have been a great fit.

I think NOM may be dragging their feet on the public park because of the (unfair) pledge of TIF money by the city to Bellevue (Foursquare Properties). And when I say draging feet, I mean putting all available money into things which generate revenue before finishing the things that don't.

I'm more than a bit curious that the roofing on one of the buildings facing Charlotte just stopped several months ago. That's a big sign of financial distress given the extent of degredation water can do to a structure and how little money would be needed to finish it.

Maybe NOM is planning to request TIF funds to complete the public portions of the Nashville West development - as in, without TIF they can't do the work until NW generates the cash, which they can't generate until NW is fully built out, which can't happen if tennants are going to the bellevue mall redevelopment, which can only happen if the city gives Foursqaure TIF money to develop bellevue mall...

Dear 'Deninnash',

Did you even read my post?

I'm not "griping" about not having retail or restaurants. I am concerned that Metro parks gave our only existing neighbourhood park to the developer in exchange for a relocated park within Nashville West. That promise has not been kept. Metro is out a park. We gave it away. The steady stream you refer to has dried up. With the removal of office and construction trailers from the development I am afraid their promise will never be be fulfilled.

-Tina

The steady stream i refer to is the opening of Logan's and Blue Coast Burrito in the past 2-3 months. I will have to drive by and see if the new retail on Charlotte has been abandoned. Honestly, there are alot of ridiculous rumors started on this site. I especially like the one about West Elm closing which the store mgmt has assured me is not the case. The reality is, West Nashville is booming, Publix is breaking ground, and I don't believe for a second that the developer has packed up and moved away without creating the park. Don't you think Logans and Red Robin probably received some contractual assurances that the park they have outdoor terraces on is actually going to be completed? Again, what would be a more correct focus of your neighborhood is the god-awful metal power lines next to old wooden ones that NES was too lazy to take down, the unbelievable state of Charlotte Pike including the shifts to 4 lanes to 2 to 4, the lack of sidewalks, the lack of zoning, LED flashing billboards, tangles of unused power and phone lines, etc etc etc... That road should be a national study of what happens when a city totally neglects in every possible way a major business district. The one and only good thing on Charlotte in West Nashville happens to be the development built on your neighborhood park.

Site Plan:

That site plan of the Hill center looks nothing like the one in Green Hills. In fact, it seems to have more parking as a portion of the overall site than Nashville West. I'd rather see all that stuff go into finishing Nashville West if it's not going to be any better than this.

Most disappointingly, the docks of the Publix face the drive into NW from Annex. YUCK. If you pull in from there, you drive past the docks. If the dock area faced Nashville West (the Staples and PetsMart) instead it would be somewhat hidden, submerged against the earthen bank at the edge of the NW development that sits maybe ten feet above the Hill property.

I think the Publix should be moved towards Charlotte Pike, turned to face Annex longways, and have parking on the Charlotte, Annex and Nashville West driveway sides. That would hide the docks and break up the sea of parking.

That site plan of the Hill center looks nothing like the one in Green Hills. In fact, it seems to have more parking as a portion of the overall site than Nashville West. I'd rather see all that stuff go into finishing Nashville West if it's not going to be any better than this.

Most disappointingly, the docks of the Publix face the drive into NW from Annex. YUCK. If you pull in from there, you drive past the docks. If the dock area faced Nashville West (the Staples and PetsMart) instead it would be somewhat hidden, submerged against the earthen bank at the edge of the NW development that sits maybe ten feet above the Hill property.

I think the Publix should be moved towards Charlotte Pike, turned to face Annex longways, and have parking on the Charlotte, Annex and Nashville West driveway sides. That would hide the docks and break up the sea of parking.

wow.. that is very disappointing indeed

maybe this is a small step forward from the hg hill store (although, im not even sure about that), but this is NOT the kind of development that i'd like to see here.. are there even any sidewalks at all? all i see is a huge parking lot with trees and grass in a few spots.

i'd much prefer nashville west to this new hg hill development... horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprise, surprise. This from the Nashville Business Journal:

<<

Nashville West facing liens from area contractors

Nashville Business Journal - by Turner Hutchens Staff Writer

Owners of Nashville West, which first opened in 2007, says payments to subcontractors handling construction at the retail center have been held up since last fall when the credit markets froze.

Since then, liens and lawsuits against the development have been piling up.

>>

So, what's happening with Nashville West? It looks half abandoned. No construction activity, nor has there been any for months. The office/construction trailers have disappeared.

The following from the developer's web-site describing Nashville West:

"Park Commons and outdoor dining terraces. Amphitheatre located in new park area for community events and concerts. Construction and maintenance of park by the developer. Upgrading of current playground facilities."

Where's the Park?

<http://www.nashvillewest.com/SpecialtyShoppingVillage.htm>

-Tina

Here is the link to the Nashville Business Journal article: http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...4433600^1840789

Drove by this weekend. Some of the development does seem to be on hold while new stores are opening regularly (tanning salon, eye care center are the latest). As the article states, the economy is to blame and they have minor funding issues.

Regardless, this is a very nice development that is in zero danger of not being finished. Delayed, yes.

Surprise, surprise. This from the Nashville Business Journal:

<<

Nashville West facing liens from area contractors

Nashville Business Journal - by Turner Hutchens Staff Writer

Owners of Nashville West, which first opened in 2007, says payments to subcontractors handling construction at the retail center have been held up since last fall when the credit markets froze.

Since then, liens and lawsuits against the development have been piling up.

>>

Drove by this weekend. Some of the development does seem to be on hold while new stores are opening regularly (tanning salon, eye care center are the latest). As the article states, the economy is to blame and they have minor funding issues. Regardless, this is a very nice development that is in zero danger of not being finished. Delayed, yes.

From WSMV Channel 4

Liens Tarnish Nashville West Development

Roofing Company Owner Owed $84,000, He Says

Reported By Jonathan Martin

POSTED: 4:26 pm CDT June 8, 2009

UPDATED: 6:44 pm CDT June 8, 2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- When Elite Roofing Company was subcontracted to put canopies and roofs on stores at the Nashville West shopping center, owner D'Arcy Porter thought it was a dream job for his small, Jefferson Street business -- until they didn't get paid for some of the work.

Related: Watch This Story

"When 30 days rolled around, we got concerned," said Porter. "And then 90 days rolled around and then 120 days and so on."

A year after completing the job, Porter said developers of the shopping center on Charlotte Pike still owe his company $84,000. Since Porter still had to pay his suppliers for materials, he went into debt and had to lay off a few workers to try to cover the cost.

"And so I'm just stuck any way you go," said Porter.

More than a dozen other Tennessee businesses are in the same boat and have filed liens against the shopping center in the last six months. The total amount Nashville West developers owe is roughly half a million dollars.

"The construction financing hit the credit crunch like a lot of other things have across the country, and we found a minor interruption," said Phil Martin, Nashville West spokesman.

Martin said the total amount owed is not much compared to the overall value of the property but realizes how the unpaid bills can hurt small businesses.

He said owners are working closely with lender Regions Bank to get the money flowing again.

"We want to work with them and we want to get them paid, and they will be paid, and it's only a matter of days," Martin said.

"Believe it when I see it; that's my thought," said Porter. "I'm hoping and I'm praying that somebody will give them some money so they can pay us if they don't have the money."

The next phase of the Nashville West development includes two hotels, offices and about 30,000 square feet of residential space. Owners said they don't plan to move forward with the next phase until subcontractors are paid.

If the bills are not paid within a year after filing the lien, the subcontractors can file to suit against the developers.

Here is the link to the Nashville Business Journal article: http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...4433600^1840789

Drove by this weekend. Some of the development does seem to be on hold while new stores are opening regularly (tanning salon, eye care center are the latest). As the article states, the economy is to blame and they have minor funding issues.

Regardless, this is a very nice development that is in zero danger of not being finished. Delayed, yes.

You should be a spin artist. These developers are pretty far in over their heads at this point.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2009/4/9...perty_developer

Seems the developer has been missing a number of bills.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Construction at Nashville West should be resuming soon now that the developers have secured more funding ($90 million) and the subcontractors are getting paid, according to the Nashville Business Journal:

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...12/daily32.html

Nashville West gets financing, work resumes

Work at Nashville West is poised to resume, as its developers

Archived