New GRAM on the Green starting Fridays this Summer at RPC

GRDadof3

This is fantastic. I think this is some of the programming people here were hoping to see at RPC while the GRAM was under construction.

GRAND RAPIDS -- Things are about to get rockier -- and swingier -- at an already-bustling Rosa Parks Circle in downtown Grand Rapids.

The Grand Rapids Art Museum in June will launch its first-ever Friday-night outdoor concert series with performances by local rock, salsa, hip-hop, R&B and world music bands. Dancing will follow each of the 11 concerts on Rosa Parks Circle.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-r...seum_plans.html

Next up should be films projected on the wall of the GRAM. :good:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is going to be awesome. Add this to Tuesday night swing dancing and Wednesday night Blues on the Mall...now we just need something on Thursday nights!

Not to mention this will replace the (:sick:) religious music concert that was held Friday nights last summer...

Bands will play 5-6:45 p.m., with art forums following inside the museum until 7:45 p.m. After that, the Grand Rapids Original Swing Society will host swing dancing -- with ballroom and line dancing on some nights -- on Rosa Parks Circle.

Something's not right with that time frame. They trying to draw the DT office crowd? Seems like there should be dancing TO the live music provided by the various bands. IMHO

I've got no problems with them having religious concerts there, but the couple of times we happened by when they were going on, they weren't very well attended.

With the lineup that they just announced, I think they'll get some much bigger turnouts. I'm pretty excited about this, actually.

...Isn't the Tuesday night swing dance hosted by the Swing Society as well? I could see this harming the attendance numbers on Tuesday nights, as I would guess Friday might seem more attractive to young people. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: On second thought, I probably am wrong. I think this will attract a different crowd. When my friends and I go swing dancing (actually, when we go people watching) on Tuesday nights, it's because we have nothing better to do. I think this will attract more people who would already be interested in the Fridays at the GRAM events, or whatever they're called. If it goes late enough (doubtful), it could even attract some of the bar crowd...

Yup, the GROSS (founder now regrets that choice of initials) runs the Tuesday night event. The GRAM Friday evening things shut down by about 9 pm, and IIRC the "curfew" on RPC is 10 pm. I can't see this event having any impact on the Tuesday nights; it's not like people set themselves a quota for swing dancing.

I just hope it doesn't become a smoky freak fest like BotM.

I think the timing is smart... for a couple reasons.

First, for myself. :) When we're going out downtown, dinner is probably at 7 or 730. When that happens and work is over at 5, I'm stuck with either "go home and change" or "stay late at work and get some more stuff done." If I'm alone, waiting for my wife to join me, I'm probably not going to go have a few drinks waiting for my wife (lest I be inebriated upon her arrival).

This gives us an alternative... either she can meet me earlier for something to do pre-dinner, or I can stick around waiting for her. It's a win/win.

On the second point, I think this is a way to structure an event that helps bars/restaurants instead of competing with them. I recall, while living in Kalamazoo, that Larry Bell (of Bell's brewery fame) used to get angry that city festivals ran late at night on Fri/Sat. His complaint was generally echoed by restauranteurs I talked to, all of whom claimed on those festival days they were almost empty at night. Running the event prior to the dinner/bar rush means you have something going on downtown that restaurants can support (and help promote) instead of something with which they're competing. Seems like another win/win.

It's the same time frame as the current Fridays at GRAM, with live music indoors. Which I always miss because I can't get out of work in Sprawlville, get home, change, kick back, saddle up, and get DT before their set is ended.

I dunno about the lectures or whatever scheduled between the outdoor bands and the outdoor swing dancing. If it's nice out, I would stay out. If it's pouring, I'd be indoors.

By "freak fest" I meant the Goth Kids, Dog Leash Couple, Nipple Ring Man, Parrot Guy, Low-Rider Bicycles, Motorcycle Maniacs, and whatever other category the BotM falls into.

(Maybe RPC should host an open mic so that the aforementioned attention-deficit sufferers can have their own spotlight for a couple minutes each.)

• 1 month later...

Archived