Officially moving to Columbus

nimsjus

Ive posted a few times before, but my wife and I are now officially calling Columbus home. After looking all over the area, we settled on a house in St. Elmo by the park. We are looking forward to getting settled in and learning a new town. We are moving from Mobile, which is a little ahead of Columbus when it comes to urban development, downtown revitalization and historic preservation, but our real estate agent/freind and his wife (a native of Columbus) have showed off some of the things Columbus has been doing in those areas. I am looking forward to talking development with yall now that I am in the area.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I would like to be the 1st to say welcome to Columbus. The St. Elmo area is a great area of town very cozy and quiet. I feel that if you enjoyed Mobile you will like Columbus I see a lot of similarities in the 2 cities in areas of retail and such. Mobile is much more built up though. One thing I noticed on a recent trip to Mobile was the Uss Alabama and battleship park area. I feel Columbus should study that area and incorprate some of the ideas used there into the new National Infantry Museum. It could become a great regional tourist destination like Battleship Park. I had a blast there then the close proximity to downtown Mobile made it even more appealing.

Yeah I am definitely going to be bringing some of my ideas from Mobile with me when I come. We were talking to a friend in Columbus when we bought the house about a downtown or Park District farmers market. My wife and I go downtown every Saturday morning for the one we have in Mobile in one of our downtown parks. They have fresh bread, local wines, fruits vegetables, flowers, homemade pasta, and tons of other things. I think a similar market at St.Elmo/Weracoba Park would do a booming business on saturday mornings with all of the walkers, kids, families and little league games.

Archived