Spartan Stores plans $50 Million in improvements this year

GRDadof3

Spartan Stores is certainly having a good year, and have big plans for the coming year.

BYRON TOWNSHIP -- A bigger and better Family Fare store in Gaines Township is part of a $50 million capital campaign Spartan Stores Inc. is moving ahead for the new fiscal year.

Before the year ends next spring, Spartan expects to remodel six stores, open a new one and relocate another -- along with the addition of six fuel stations.

The plan comes as the Byron Township-based grocery wholesaler and retailer reports a strong 2009. Year-end profits rose 13 percent to $38.8 million, or $1.78 per share, from $34.3 million, or $1.58 per share, in the prior year.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...ly_fare_ex.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over at the Family Fare location on 60th and Kalamazoo SE, they completly gutted that one out and are in the process of getting ready to rebuild it. There is a sign that says that the family fare is undergoing construction and that it will be back in the fall of 2009. I don't know if there is more to tear down yet or not. Back in 2003-2004. The family store on Lake Michigan Drive was remodeled. Not sure if they plan to do anymore with it or build a gas station around the property. Personally, I would like it if they moved out to where the old D&W store used to be on Rememberance Road. It's a much bigger store in my opinion and looks nicer.

Archived