The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i think you are going to be disappointed and soon....my money is on all of the meeting rooms and ballroom, along with a portion of the hall becoming the property of the Renaissance, and the remainder becoming a House of Blues.

I can definitely see that happening. Obviously the Renaissance would want to hang on to those meeting room spaces. And the House of Blues would fit well on Broadway - and maybe face Broadway rather than 5th if only for the purpose of finally activating that block of Broadway.

Even so, would the Renaissance hotel's taking over of the ballrooms and the inclusion of a House of Blues preclude the possibility of the Medical Mart on that site? Would the Renaissance then become the "headquarters hotel" for the Medical Mart? In the interest of full disclosure, I hate the proposed design of the Medical Mart and want it to happen - but somewhere else in the urban core - so I'm just inquiring on about any insight that you might have.

i think you are going to be disappointed and soon....my money is on all of the meeting rooms and ballroom, along with a portion of the hall becoming the property of the Renaissance, and the remainder becoming a House of Blues.

One of the Rennaissance employees told me they were told the House Of Blues was a definite thing. They were told in an employee meeting.

• 1 month later...

Hate to sound pessimistic, but I think this project is dead. It will have been three years this November since the MM announcement. S-Free correctly notes WES made it after a long time period, but let's be frank: How many large-scale projects are announced, have not broken ground within two years or so, and then later come to fruition? I would say 5 percent at best. In fact, other than WES, I can't think of one major project that materialized after an inactivity period of two years or more. This has been three years and it's a beast of a project. Hope I'm proved wrong but I say it's dead.

WW

If the medical mart is dead, what other ideas are out there for fixing this building? It's too short, it brings nothing to this incredibly lively street except bare walls, and it's aesthetically, umm, lacking, not to say absurdly out of place. Must've seemed like a good idea at the time. Stick the House of Blues in there, drop some apartments on top, cut some holes in the walls...?

Hate to sound pessimistic, but I think this project is dead. It will have been three years this November since the MM announcement. S-Free correctly notes WES made it after a long time period, but let's be frank: How many large-scale projects are announced, have not broken ground within two years or so, and then later come to fruition? I would say 5 percent at best. In fact, other than WES, I can't think of one major project that materialized after an inactivity period of two years or more. This has been three years and it's a beast of a project. Hope I'm proved wrong but I say it's dead.

WW

ditto

WW

I have to agree here. I wasn't ever sure WES was really dead, just on life support. The fact was a lot of money had been sunk into a big hole in the ground, and it would not have been good to not do something with it, even if it ended up not being as grand as the original proposals. And it's an office building/hotel in a part of town that will always have demand. MM is a relatively new concept that may or may not have been born too late (I'd argue that it would have been great 20 years ago, but nigh on useless now, but I digress).

Big announcements were made, and they were able to get deals on some square footage in it, but it was incredibly slow going to get the deals they did get. If I were an industry leader in the durable medical equipment field, I can't say I'd be jumping all over it at this point. It means one of three things: there is no demand, it's poorly run and executed, or all three. And that does not spell success for a new concept like this.

Archived