The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

So the Gov and the Mayor are announcing this morning that this Medical Mart trade center will replace the current Nashville Convention Center downtown.. after the new MCC is built.. sweet! thumbsup.gif

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091130/NEWS0202/911300346/Medical+mart+deal+for+downtown+Nashville+announced

It is already listed as such on the developers website:

http://www.marketcentermanagement.com/marketcenters/#nashville_medical

There is a website for the new NMTC:

http://nmtc.com/

Annnnd renderings :)

http://nmtc.com/press/media/

Looks nice.. I love the huge video screen on the corner..

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you posted this jice. I saw the announcement was going to be today in Fridays NBJ. I actually got off work early today for the first time in a long time and wanted to see the renderings. This will be a major economic boon to the DT economy. I posted on the CC thread that the Metro council needs to get off their duff and pass this thing now and do it fast to get both of these projects out of the ground at the soonest time possible. This is a project that puts Nashville in the GLOBAL spotlight.

I don't think the new CC detractors will have much of a leg to stand on now and if they do then vote them out of office. This will mean major tax revenue for Nashville when both of these projects are completed.

• 10 months later...

I don't want to stray off topic, but these are some issues/points/comments that involve the NMTC. How do you think this will affect the airport? I mean if it is global then do we expect more international flights? I know this will be several years out since the MCC needs to be built first so say around 2015 could we see a huge impact? What would need to be done to the airport? I know they have land for expansion, but just curious if this NMTC might bolster Nashville into a new echelon of city tiers. I mean I love that Nashville has unique characteristics of small town feel, friendly, and cheaper than other larger cities, but sooner or later we will have to deal with growth issues and tackle how we can stay small yet larger. I think we've done a good job so far, but I don't want it to get out of hand.

Also infrastructure will more than likely be affected by the MCC and NMTC. I think we are stepping in the right direction with Dean's efforts, the BRT, and DT circulators, but I feel we still need more effort in order to make the centers and city work better and more efficiently. For example, a specific, dedicated line to and from the airport-DT needs to happen. I know there is a bus line but if they could upgrade the line to a BRT so that it seems "more dedicated" instead of a "regular old bus line" then IMO that would help. However, the need may not be there yet and would probably be more feasible the closer the centers got to opening. I know SLC is building an extension to their LRT for a leg to the airport.

timmay143 asks a legitimate question. Yes, I think the medical mart, if built, will spur an increase in usage of the airport. And that will be exciting. I had a nice chat with BR86 and then, separately with smeagolsfree. We all agree the medical trade center will make the city more "international." I would think the local media will have a update story on the medical mart any day now.

timmay143 asks a legitimate question. Yes, I think the medical mart, if built, will spur an increase in usage of the airport. And that will be exciting. I had a nice chat with BR86 and then, separately with smeagolsfree. We all agree the medical trade center will make the city more "international." I would think the local media will have a update story on the medical mart any day now.

Cleveland's approach to their convention center and medical mart

The biggest single concern at Thursday's meeting had less to do with the building's appearance than whether it will pump life and activity into the downtown Mall, which doubles as the roof of the existing convention center and will perform the same function in the future.

The Mall has felt lifeless for decades, in large part because the civic buildings that flank it are oriented to face surrounding streets, not the central space.

Clevelanddotcom

Cleveland Architecture

Cleveland's approach to their convention center and medical mart

Clevelanddotcom

Cleveland Architecture

Interesting to find out that Cleveland has an underground convention center (first built in the 30s! and later expanded in the 60s!, according to Wikipedia at least), and an urban mall flanked by civic institutions serves as the roof. It would seem that Cdub's and NewTowner's MCC urban square plan wasn't so far-fetched after all.

I hope to hear some updates about Nashville's Med Mart in the near future, as hinted by WW. It seems an odd business model, but if it works then by all means hopefully it will diversify the economy and bring more national and international traffic to the city. And enliven a largely moribund city block.

It would greatly redefine from 5th to 7th Avenue on Broadway which is basically a dead wall much like the dead wall along TPAC's facade on Union Street. The residents of the James Robertson Apartments may also be at risk, as they need a parking garage for this Medical Mart and Marriott has wanted their building torn down for a multi-level parking garage for years for the hotel and convention center as there is access to the convention center behind the JRA.

It will be interesting to see where the loading area for the Medical Mart would be. The lot behind Hume Fogg which was home to the old Genesco Building has been a surface lot for over 20 years. That lot is prime for development too.

A lot will happen between 5th and 8th Avenues when all this starts with the Medical Mart, The Federal Courthouse, The Hume Fogg Gymnasium etc...

BR86

Interesting to find out that Cleveland has an underground convention center (first built in the 30s! and later expanded in the 60s!, according to Wikipedia at least), and an urban mall flanked by civic institutions serves as the roof. It would seem that Cdub's and NewTowner's MCC urban square plan wasn't so far-fetched after all.

I hope to hear some updates about Nashville's Med Mart in the near future, as hinted by WW. It seems an odd business model, but if it works then by all means hopefully it will diversify the economy and bring more national and international traffic to the city. And enliven a largely moribund city block.

Nashvillian,

Thanks for linking to the Cleveland M-Mart art. Very interesting.

We all await the next Nashville M-Mart update. The latest news is that 15 major leases were being finalized. That was two weeks ago. We should know something soon.

WW

I am sure producer2 will give us more details at the November forum meet !

:D

BR86

This is from the Nashville Post this weekend..

My main concern here is that the C MM is 465 million vs the much lower cost and larger N MM. What gives here? It is going to be some very expensive space for sure.

http://business.nashvillepost.com/tag/cleveland-medical-mart-and-convention-center/

http://www.clevelandmedicalmart.com/about/architecture/

Medical Mart (Permanent Showrooms)

• Approximately 100,000 square feet

• 4 floors

Convention Center (Exhibition Halls)

• Approximately 240,000 square feet

• 90' column spacing

• 30' clear ceiling height

Conference Facility & Ballroom

• Approximately 100,000 square feet

• More than 50 meeting rooms

Ron (smeagolsfree), after reading the information on their site about the Cleveland Medical Mart, I can now see the expense. Believe it or not, Cleveland, Ohio is known for stellar architecture like Buffalo, NY. and Chicago, Il. My wife had a friend who's husband worked for Hasting Architecture until he left Nashville and took a job in Cleveland and at first I thought he was crazy until I did some research.

I think Nashville will happen first as we are the new "hot" city in the upper south as Emporis calls us a "Boomtown of the Upper South."

The next 12 months should prove to be interesting for sure. Thanks for the post.

BR86

The major difference between the two projects at this moment is this. The Nashville project has negotiated actual leases and Cleveland is working off of Letters of Intent. LOI's mean nothing and have no teeth. Those folks can walk away at the drop of a hat with no liability.

The major difference between the two projects at this moment is this. The Nashville project has negotiated actual leases and Cleveland is working off of Letters of Intent. LOI's mean nothing and have no teeth. Those folks can walk away at the drop of a hat with no liability.

And when they walk, I hope they stroll straight to Nashville.

I say this with all due respect to Cleveland. That city has suffered a good bit the past 50 years and it's a shame, as downtown Cleveland is quite nice.

WW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cleveland's medmart was approved, with construction to start this month, and to be completed in 2013

http://www.bizjourna...e-go-ahead.html

http://blog.clevelan...1/post_396.html

Because of the timing of the medical mart announcement in nashville. Is this a real project and does nashville have a chance to get this project. I was excited to hear about nashville having a shot at getting the medical mart development when it was first announced. But since it helped get the MCCC thru some rough times when it was first announced I always wondered if was a real deal.

Because of the timing of the medical mart announcement in nashville. Is this a real project and does nashville have a chance to get this project. I was excited to hear about nashville having a shot at getting the medical mart development when it was first announced. But since it helped get the MCCC thru some rough times when it was first announced I always wondered if was a real deal.

Really? As they say on ESPN... C'mon man...

• 1 month later...

Yes! The Medical Mart will be a reality in some form or another. One of Nashville's major industries has been health care for the past 30 years. I suspect construction will commensurate at some time in the near future. This is one of those projects unlike office towers, hotels, and sports stadiums that fits an immediate need for space for a specific industry. Businesses can locate in any office tower but the entities going to this building are very specific and require certain construction specifics not needed in other industries. In other words, this is a project geared toward a specific industry and there is no other space in Nashville that can serve this market.

Archived