The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had numerous conversations with William about this project and we believe if there is no movement here in the next 6 months this is DOA. They had better get their act together if they are going to open in time for the new schedule they have posted. My thoughts were this on Saturday is that they work with the Renaissance Hotel and add suites and additional meeting space for the hotel and share some of the cost, thus making it easier to finance. One plan that John had mentioned that the owners of the hotel had several years ago was to add 8 floors of Suites atop the CC. If they partner this would get off the ground.

The plan was 12 stories of luxury suites on top of the current convention center and razing the James Robertson for a parking garage. The hotel only has one floor in the Library garage for valet parking. That is all the hotel offers. If you want to self park, you are on your own. Traditionally the Library lets hotel guests park on the second floor only. The third was strictly for library guests and the fourth was for Renaissance Tower employees.

I have had numerous conversations with William about this project and we believe if there is no movement here in the next 6 months this is DOA. They had better get their act together if they are going to open in time for the new schedule they have posted.

I'm afraid it'll be a shorter timeline than this even. They've had a while now to get things moving, but they seem to have very little in the line of publicity or even public support for it.

And is this really even feasible? The era of the showroom is coming to a close, I'm afraid, and this may very soon be a very expensive anachronism. Are doctors and medical professionals really going to flock from all over the country to see fixed setups from medical companies at a location such as this, as opposed to your standard convention and trade shows?

Correct me if I'm looking at this in the entirely wrong way.

Not to mention that the name just seems silly to me. I know there's the whole Merchandise Mart landmark thing in Chicago, but if this opens, every time I walk by I won't be able to think of anything other than a cut-rate walker and motorized wheel chair dealer (think: the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has to buy the wheel chair). Wal-Mart and K-Mart have completely ruined the connotations of that particular contraction of Market for me.

Not to mention that the name just seems silly to me. I know there's the whole Merchandise Mart landmark thing in Chicago, but if this opens, every time I walk by I won't be able to think of anything other than a cut-rate walker and motorized wheel chair dealer (think: the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has to buy the wheel chair). Wal-Mart and K-Mart have completely ruined the connotations of that particular contraction of Market for me.

Ha! So true.. I guess that's why this one is actually a 'trade center'

• 1 month later...

That article is kinda funny and actually leads me to believe even more that it wont happen. I mean, who are they leasing space to? Why in the world would they want to keep leases quiet, makes zero sense. And this,

"We've been doing the design work from day one," he said. "We have not stopped. I don't think a week goes by that we don't chat about it for something. (Market Center Management Co.) are talking to tenants left and right and every tenant says, ‘Well can you do this? Can you do that?’ That's work. We’ve never stopped."

That sentence right there makes me think it will not happen. If this project was going to break ground this year the communication would be vastly different

Wow! I think I'd much prefer to see that in Nashville. It could use a good venue of that size to bring in some new headliners of the non-country genres, and would help keep bringing people downtown. And the fact that it's not obsolete before it's built doesn't hurt, either.

I much prefer the possibility of the Medical Mart and the House of Blues coexisting.... seems they can both be quite strong catalysts for this area. Very strong news indeed!

This will kickstart the entire upper Broadway area!

Archived