The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree here. I wasn't ever sure WES was really dead, just on life support. The fact was a lot of money had been sunk into a big hole in the ground, and it would not have been good to not do something with it, even if it ended up not being as grand as the original proposals. And it's an office building/hotel in a part of town that will always have demand. MM is a relatively new concept that may or may not have been born too late (I'd argue that it would have been great 20 years ago, but nigh on useless now, but I digress).

Big announcements were made, and they were able to get deals on some square footage in it, but it was incredibly slow going to get the deals they did get. If I were an industry leader in the durable medical equipment field, I can't say I'd be jumping all over it at this point. It means one of three things: there is no demand, it's poorly run and executed, or all three. And that does not spell success for a new concept like this.

I think it's more the second one than the first... although demand for this product is unkonwn at this time. That's why I believe their biggest mistake was to put an office developer in charge of the project. It should have been led by a healthcare executive who knows all about the delivery models. Yes, the developers would be needed too... just not taking the lead and trying to talk "healthcare" to people who really know the business. Plus, the selection of Boyle was a miss too... as it should have been some firm with wider national and international (for firms like Siemans) ties. This was to be a trade forum... and therefore they needed people who know all about the industry and the tools of the trade. Boyle may know buildings, but they don't know healthcare. This is a different animal completely.

i have to disagree. The lead developer on this project has delivered some of the most succesful "Marts" in the nation. They understand the concept. The reality is there is no market currently as witnessed by NY, Cleveland and Nashville not being able to get one off the ground.

We'll wait a bit before unpinning. Until it is officially one way or the other (or until we get tired of looking at it).

Maybe not the best place to post, but I'd though I'd ask what the forum thought about new pinned topics? I wanted to wait a bit til the dust cleared. We could pin what is definitely under construction until its complete? What about other suggestions? Thought about bringing the retail thread back from the coffee shop. What are everyone's thoughts? Again, any other suggestions? Maybe I should start a new thread on this, if there is interest.

I hate to see it canceled, however maybe we are able to move forward with something substantial at this site. I still think a House of Blues here is a bad idea. This property can be utilized much better and we still need height at this location.

I do think the idea was a good one and maybe they will be able to come up with a plan B at some point in the future.

I think we still have a lot to look forward to in the coming years in DT, Mid Town, SoBro, Germantown, and the Gulch.

Another point here is the cancelation of this project may give some momentum to the OneCity project because some companies may have been on the fence waiting to see what happens with the MedMart.

I will be surprised if this project ever breaks ground. They are having an impossible time getting any momentum and the comments from the company regarding Cleveland's center are hilarious. The Nashville center organizers have what 3 groups signed in a year? I mean, that is pathetic by any measure

Another good call Samsonh, despite catching lots of flak for making it. Good job ;)

I agree, I hate that it got cancelled...but it's not as if it was unexpected. The reasons listed in the statement by the developers were obstacles that have been debated on here before -- first and foremost being the economy.

As far as what can be done to the property now...I sort of like the idea of "extending" Lower Broad by a block with storefronts/venues that fit in with the rest of the district (old warehouse style) at 2-4 stories. I suppose they want to keep the existing convention space in some capacity...perhaps go with the old idea of Renaissance adding a hotel or suite component on top (hopefully a more up to date look than the current hotel)...perhaps something to match the height of the adjacent Sun Trust building.

I am with you

I hate to see it canceled, however maybe we are able to move forward with something substantial at this site. I still think a House of Blues here is a bad idea. This property can be utilized much better and we still need height at this location.

I am with you on this one. I think this is a good opportunity for some good development to be brought in to this part of town that will re-activate the streets and bring in more density.

The MedMart would probably been good for the health industry in the city (although I continue to maintain it was anachronistic), but I doubt it would have done a lot to bring attention to that block or increase foot traffic any real significant amount outside of intermittent trade shows or events.

The meeting space and ballrooms will be taken over by The Rennaisance. House of Blues is in the mix and discussing as most of you know. There is a third component that I can't divulge at the moment but you won't guess it so don't try.... :)

Jello wrestling arena?

The meeting space and ballrooms will be taken over by The Rennaisance. House of Blues is in the mix and discussing as most of you know. There is a third component that I can't divulge at the moment but you won't guess it so don't try.... :)

Will it get everyone excited, or will it be overshadowed by a HOB announcement?

Archived