The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm slightly disappointed about this news but no surprised. One has to be a bit concerned about the viability of such a center. Maybe what ultimately ends up at the convention center site will be more appropriate for Broadway than the Medical Mart. I really like the idea of a House of Blues in this location if it is done correctly.

I'm also very curious to find out what this potential third component of the site could be? I hope it's something new and different for Nashville.

Hello guys! I have been visiting this sight for quite a few years now but rarely post. I'm from Nashville but am currently living in Virginia Beach because I'm in the Navy. I retire after 20 years this January and can't wait to come back home more often. It's funny how 20 years ago when I was leaving for boot camp I remember driving by downtown and the "Batman" building was under construction. I could have never imagined what it would end up looking like until I laid eyes on it in '95 upon returning home from Japan on leave. I'll never forget coming around the bend of I65/I24 and seeing it for the first time. Having traveled to Honk Kong and Singapore while stationed in Japan I fell in love with skyscrapers even more. Upon returning home I was impressed to see Nashville build something do different and bold.

With all that being said, I am impressed to see how Nashville has turned out over the last 20 years. I know some may say it was at a snails pace and that we got our hopes up for some amazing projects (Signature Tower IMO) that never happened. I think what we do have is a nice thriving city with a healthy downtown that has an even brighter future. I think the group of people that frequent this forum have some amazing ideas and I look forward to checking in every day. Hopefully once I retire from the Navy I will have more time to attend a forum meeting :-)

Now, with the subject of the utilization of the old convention center space, I think it would be great to see a House of Blues and complete redesign of the facade with more inviting street activity. A few of you mention bringing retail to the space and it got me to thinking how possible is that? I know that Church Street Centre failed but IMO was way ahead of it's time. My question to you all, is how do you think something like CSC would faire downtown now? I realize the close proximity to TMAGH but here in Virginia Beach (Hampton Roads metro area) we have the same amount of shopping malls, if not more than the Nashville area, and we have a very successful mall in downtown Norfolk called MacArthur Center. Despite all of the shopping options here, MacArthur center is still a destination mall. IMO downtown Norfolk is nice but does not compare to downtown Nashville. Nashville IMO has a more vibrant downtown and there always seems to be a large presence of people. Do you guys think something like another retail center would work in the area? Just want everyone's thoughts on the matter and I'm not saying that's exactly what I'm hoping will go there. Thanks for listening to me rant :-)

I, too, think Church Street Center was ahead of it's time (or between it's time -- it would have been successful 20-30 years before, and possibly 20 years after). Unfortunately it popped up during probably the deadest time our downtown has ever had.

Would it be successful today? I'm not sure. I think it would be more successful...but I also question the mall model's viability in today's world. A lot of big box retailers are hurting from online sales -- something that could have an effect on that type of project getting a serious proposal. I know other cities have downtown shopping, and it's something that we are lacking. We are also (still) behind the curve when it comes to downtown living options, too. While I think that a downtown mall would be helped by the flow of tourists in the area, if there are not *unique* tenants, I don't see the tourists flocking to shop there (if it's basically the same stuff they can get at home).

Also, there is the issue that Green Hills is already a very popular location for high or higher end retailers, so it's not like there is a big hole to fill for high end shopping in town (Green Hills is obviously closer to Nashville's wealthy base anyways).

I think the lot size is fine for that sort of thing...but the location (while good for entertainment purposes) might not be so friendly for shopping. Parking would obviously be a big issue, unless there was a rather large garage incorporated with it. And as I pointed out before, I doubt it's going to draw from the Green Hills crowd -- something it would really need to succeed (again, I don't believe there are enough spenders right in the downtown district that would make it work).

With Lower Broad being as busy as it is, and Nashville being a very car dependent city (especially when it comes to things like shopping -- I doubt people are going to ride the bus to a mall, other than to work)...I think you have to pick a location with a little bit easier access -- at least psychologically. Perhaps Midtown would be a better choice for a large scale retail venture.

As for other locations downtown -- I've thought that if the Federal Courthouse falls through, that might be a possible location for downtown retail. It would be close to the downtown residential base (Church St) and would be in a less touristy area (some locals avoid Lower Broadway/2nd like the plague unless there is an event going on at the arena...like a Predators game). Ironically, it would also be next door to the aforementioned failed Church Street Center.

As far as locations in Midtown...(bringing up another discussion)...perhaps if one of those car lots decided to move (like the Hyundai dealership -- formerly Jim Reed), that would offer good infill, and a prominent location close to the interstate, with a block that is probably twice as big as what could be filled downtown.

All that said...if a realistic retail proposal happened for the old convention center, I would not be disappointed. I would just hope it would work. I'm thinking it will likely include something geared towards entertainment/hospitality, though, since that is what is dominant in the immediate area.

Btw, welcome to the forum and thanks for your service in the Navy.

Thanks guys for the welcome and I appreciate your response. I agree with you Whistle-Stop considering TMAGH has upscale shopping and is located closer to the affluent parts of the city. MacArthur Center here in Norfolk has a Nordstrom and can be considered our upscale shopping center. Whatever is built in place of the old convention center I just hope it's something good and unique. But of course this is coming from the guy that still hopes that a smaller version of Signature Tower could still happen. Are you listening Tony??? Lol :-)

Thanks guys for the welcome and I appreciate your response. I agree with you Whistle-Stop considering TMAGH has upscale shopping and is located closer to the affluent parts of the city. MacArthur Center here in Norfolk has a Nordstrom and can be considered our upscale shopping center. Whatever is built in place of the old convention center I just hope it's something good and unique. But of course this is coming from the guy that still hopes that a smaller version of Signature Tower could still happen. Are you listening Tony??? Lol :-)

you aren't the only one!

Hello guys! I have been visiting this sight for quite a few years now but rarely post. I'm from Nashville but am currently living in Virginia Beach because I'm in the Navy. I retire after 20 years this January and can't wait to come back home more often. It's funny how 20 years ago when I was leaving for boot camp I remember driving by downtown and the "Batman" building was under construction. I could have never imagined what it would end up looking like until I laid eyes on it in '95 upon returning home from Japan on leave. I'll never forget coming around the bend of I65/I24 and seeing it for the first time. Having traveled to Honk Kong and Singapore while stationed in Japan I fell in love with skyscrapers even more. Upon returning home I was impressed to see Nashville build something do different and bold.

With all that being said, I am impressed to see how Nashville has turned out over the last 20 years. I know some may say it was at a snails pace and that we got our hopes up for some amazing projects (Signature Tower IMO) that never happened. I think what we do have is a nice thriving city with a healthy downtown that has an even brighter future. I think the group of people that frequent this forum have some amazing ideas and I look forward to checking in every day. Hopefully once I retire from the Navy I will have more time to attend a forum meeting :-)

Now, with the subject of the utilization of the old convention center space, I think it would be great to see a House of Blues and complete redesign of the facade with more inviting street activity. A few of you mention bringing retail to the space and it got me to thinking how possible is that? I know that Church Street Centre failed but IMO was way ahead of it's time. My question to you all, is how do you think something like CSC would faire downtown now? I realize the close proximity to TMAGH but here in Virginia Beach (Hampton Roads metro area) we have the same amount of shopping malls, if not more than the Nashville area, and we have a very successful mall in downtown Norfolk called MacArthur Center. Despite all of the shopping options here, MacArthur center is still a destination mall. IMO downtown Norfolk is nice but does not compare to downtown Nashville. Nashville IMO has a more vibrant downtown and there always seems to be a large presence of people. Do you guys think something like another retail center would work in the area? Just want everyone's thoughts on the matter and I'm not saying that's exactly what I'm hoping will go there. Thanks for listening to me rant :-)

Welcome to the forum, BMan73 and we'll look forward to your move back. Also, thanks for your service to this great country.

WW

Thanks guys and it was my pleasure serving! I think I have been very fortunate to be able to travel to so many cities in the world and get some great ideas that we could bring to our fine city. Also, I was an Army brat and grew up in Germany until we moved to Tennessee in 1988. I would like to give as much input that I can. I feel that Nashville is kind of starting with a clean slate so to speak as fas as SoBro and the Gulch. I hope that our city leaders, developers, and citizens can all come together to make our urban environment one that other cities can envy.

Also, on a side note, who watched Nashville on ABC the other night? I loved the way they showcased the city and even mentioned a ballpark being built downtown. My favorite line was when the father of Connie Brittons character said that Nashville is a thriving, prosperous city and a cultural juggernaut. I hope this show will showcase Nashville in a positive light and expose the fact that we are Music City USA and not just the country music capital :thumbsup:

Also, a BIG WELCOME to the new members. As Ron stated, great to see activity on the boards and new "faces!"

Thanks guys and it was my pleasure serving! I think I have been very fortunate to be able to travel to so many cities in the world and get some great ideas that we could bring to our fine city. Also, I was an Army brat and grew up in Germany until we moved to Tennessee in 1988. I would like to give as much input that I can. I feel that Nashville is kind of starting with a clean slate so to speak as fas as SoBro and the Gulch. I hope that our city leaders, developers, and citizens can all come together to make our urban environment one that other cities can envy.

Also, on a side note, who watched Nashville on ABC the other night? I loved the way they showcased the city and even mentioned a ballpark being built downtown. My favorite line was when the father of Connie Brittons character said that Nashville is a thriving, prosperous city and a cultural juggernaut. I hope this show will showcase Nashville in a positive light and expose the fact that we are Music City USA and not just the country music capital :thumbsup:

I feel the same about Nashville. It is truly a unique and great place for me. I am happy, mostly, with our direction and the substance and fabric of our city. I too cannot wait to move back!

As for the show, I haven't seen it yet. I heard it had good reviews from "TV experts", but on FB I've seen mixed. If it is anything like the movie Country Strong, it should be good. I was surprised and impressed with CS. I had low expectations when going to see it. I have it on DVR so I hope to watch it soon. To me, and I am sure others as well, Nashville is Country Music but at the same time, obviously, much, much more. I used to frown upon the honky tonks and cheeziness of some of the things. I now embrace them as they are truly "underliers" of many aspects of our great city. The same way I feel about Franklin/Cool Springs and the 'burbs. Just have to keep them (both the touristy and burbs) in check for smart development so that it doesn't get out of hand.

Archived