U.S. House of Representatives Redistricting

Hey all,

From what I've read, everyone is predicting that after the 2010 Census, Michigan will go from having 15 representatives in the house down to 14. So when the state does its redistricting, they'll have to fold at least one district into another.

Of course, that's an oversimplification, since they can draw the district lines however they please. But at some point a region that used to have its own congressman won't anymore.

So which district (or districts) is getting hosed?

-I'm inclined to think it will be a conservative district, since the political climate favors Democrats. They hold the State House and the Governorship... But who knows what will happen in the 2010 election.

-I'm also inclined to think Metro Detroit will try to hold on to as many representatives as possible, so West Michigan will end up losing representation. I would hate to see that happen... But, if the census shows Detroit unequivocally taking the bulk of the state's population loss, representation could be taken away from them.

I'm no expert, I'm just ruminating into my keyboard. Anyone else got any predictions? Maybe some more familiar with the state redistricting process than myself?

This topic probably won't garner much reaction. I've been thinking about this lately and wanted to share.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey all,

From what I've read, everyone is predicting that after the 2010 Census, Michigan will go from having 15 representatives in the house down to 14. So when the state does its redistricting, they'll have to fold at least one district into another.

Of course, that's an oversimplification, since they can draw the district lines however they please. But at some point a region that used to have its own congressman won't anymore.

So which district (or districts) is getting hosed?

-I'm inclined to think it will be a conservative district, since the political climate favors Democrats. They hold the State House and the Governorship... But who knows what will happen in the 2010 election.

-I'm also inclined to think Metro Detroit will try to hold on to as many representatives as possible, so West Michigan will end up losing representation. I would hate to see that happen... But, if the census shows Detroit unequivocally taking the bulk of the state's population loss, representation could be taken away from them.

I'm no expert, I'm just ruminating into my keyboard. Anyone else got any predictions? Maybe some more familiar with the state redistricting process than myself?

This topic probably won't garner much reaction. I've been thinking about this lately and wanted to share.

I'd like to see the West Michigan lines redrawn. They don't make any sense geographically. It makes way more sense to have a Muskegon/Kent/Ottawa district then a Kent/Ottawa/Ionia district. That would also possibly tilt the district as well.

I'd like to see the West Michigan lines redrawn. They don't make any sense geographically. It makes way more sense to have a Muskegon/Kent/Ottawa district then a Kent/Ottawa/Ionia district. That would also possibly tilt the district as well.

I am generally sick of politics in general in Michigan. I know things are tough, but we don't have any real leadership on the state level. I don't think that if they have to re-draw district lines that they would be able to do it.

Archived