All the philanthropy in the world can't save him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think it's great all the money he has invested in Grand Rapids, he really sounds like a jerk in that article. Reminds me of his jerky comments at the JW Marriott grand opening.

But I guess money buys you a podium at the Press to proselytize against gay marriage.

Saw your comments in their forum, GRJeff. I love how all the defenders pile on saying "he can say or do whatever he wants because he gave DT a buncha $$$."

And oh yes, the Bible states that Adam and Eve were married, in the eyes of the church. (Wouldn't this mean that Jews, Muslims, Taoists, agnostics, et al cannot get married?)

Yep, when you're 78, you can shoot your mouth off with impunity.

Saw your comments in their forum, GRJeff. I love how all the defenders pile on saying "he can say or do whatever he wants because he gave DT a buncha $$$."

And oh yes, the Bible states that Adam and Eve were married, in the eyes of the church. (Wouldn't this mean that Jews, Muslims, Taoists, agnostics, et al cannot get married?)

Yep, when you're 78, you can shoot your mouth off with impunity.

I understand what he means about the building name thing. Being kind of a private guy, one of the reasons that I only give modest amounts to charity is that I don't want people running around putting my name on buildings against my will.

So you won

I understand what he means about the building name thing. Being kind of a private guy, one of the reasons that I only give modest amounts to charity is that I don't want people running around putting my name on buildings against my will.

So you won't see my name around much except for maybe that hockey arena in Muskegon and on a suburban city.

Mr. DeVos can say what he wants about gay marriage, but to keep thinking that there is something universally and automatically "sacred" about marriage between a man and a woman and use that reasoning to speak against gay marriage, well all I can say is how naive can you be? Yes, there are many people who take marriage vows very seriously and think it's a convenant with God, but I know so many married folks who got married and have stayed married for very "un-Godly" or non-religious reasons, some of which I don't even think they can understand or admit. To me it's about the feelings and the relationship between two people, and I just don't think that has anything to do with being gay or straight.

If we held up the same sacred standards and reasons for men and women getting married as some folks like Mr. DeVos seem to apply to people of the same sex, then I bet at least 50% of the straight people getting married wouldn't pass. But it just seems as long as you are a man and your partner is a woman and you are of age, get the license and say "I do", you qualify to join that sacred institution! Being gay or straight will not "ensure" the sacredness of marriage, but then again, we humans added that consideration to it. A long time ago, "marriage" was primarily about controlling property (including the wife) and having children to help you run the farm (or collect berries) or go on a hunt!

Being gay, It's generally my policy not to get into these things. Because I dont take the typical koolaid drinking civil rights view on it, I get criticized alot.

So here's my thing. We are a secularist nation right? Being that State and religion are separated? I understand Mr. Devos would probabally take a theocracy stance on that, but he'd not only be in the minority, he'd lose that arguement. So if we are secularist, why is the government liscensing a religious institution to begin with? I know, I know, it goes to tax purposes, and inherent family rights. I am tired of seeing the left and right using the word "marriage" as a device, to movtivate a political base. Over the course of the last couple decades, little has been accomplished by either side in terms of the issue. I do believe the gay community as a whole has been turned into a special interest, and exploited for political gain.

Here's what I propose, because of the society we are in, our minds are programmed to here the word marriage and think together forever. Man woman, in the eyes of god. I'm mean sure, the whole god thing, half of the married people I know, dont even believe in god these days! To be married comes with rights to property, tax filing, health benefits, all of the above. All those things are mandated by the state which is supposedly separate from religion. So why not remove the word married from all those who are >>legally<< joined. A civil union is the same damn thing. But with a word in front of it. Yes I do believe that any two consenting adults should be allowed legally join in a partnership. Leave marriage for the churches, and if a church doesn't want to marry to people, let that be up to the church. The day this government starts telling churches what to do in that nature, we are all in way more trouble than any of us will know. Tho I can also tell you there are plenty of churches who would GLADLY yoke two people together in the eyes of god.

Also, who cares! Did this article somehow tell us something we didn't already know about Richard Devos' Views on the issue? I couldn't give two shakes about his views, they certainly are not going to affect my decisions even a little bit. Sleep I will not lose. Nor will his views prevent me from going out and enjoying all the things in Grand Rapids his money has provided us with. Let him pump as much money into this region as possible! No sir, my gay ass will sit on his name plate wherever I go! It doesnt matter, he tried to keep GR in the dark ages, but it left long ago. :)

...think about it, current situation withstanding, where would Detroit be, if everyone boycotted Ford Motor, based on Henry's enlightened world view ;)

So here's my thing. We are a secularist nation right? Being that State and religion are separated? I understand Mr. Devos would probabally take a theocracy stance on that, but he'd not only be in the minority, he'd lose that arguement. So if we are secularist, why is the government liscensing a religious institution to begin with? I know, I know, it goes to tax purposes, and inherent family rights. I am tired of seeing the left and right using the word "marriage" as a device, to movtivate a political base. Over the course of the last couple decades, little has been accomplished by either side in terms of the issue. I do believe the gay community as a whole has been turned into a special interest, and exploited for political gain.

Here's what I propose, because of the society we are in, our minds are programmed to here the word marriage and think together forever. Man woman, in the eyes of god. I'm mean sure, the whole god thing, half of the married people I know, dont even believe in god these days! To be married comes with rights to property, tax filing, health benefits, all of the above. All those things are mandated by the state which is supposedly separate from religion. So why not remove the word married from all those who are >>legally<< joined. A civil union is the same damn thing. But with a word in front of it. Yes I do believe that any two consenting adults should be allowed legally join in a partnership. Leave marriage for the churches, and if a church doesn't want to marry to people, let that be up to the church. The day this government starts telling churches what to do in that nature, we are all in way more trouble than any of us will know. Tho I can also tell you there are plenty of churches who would GLADLY yoke two people together in the eyes of god.

Also, who cares! Did this article somehow tell us something we didn't already know about Richard Devos' Views on the issue?

I second this sentiment.

Isn't it funny how "open minded" people are only ever open minded to the beliefs they agree with? They are just close minded as those they criticize just merely on different topics. Note, I don't intend that as a personal slam on anyone on this board. That is just my own general observation of today's PC world.

I just think it's funny how worked up you all are getting...he gave $100,000 dollars in Florida. For me that's the equivalent of probably giving someone $0.10. He spends a lot of time in Florida and owns a lot of stuff there, he didn't give in Michigan but that's like his second home I believe. Plus, he didn't state that ending gay marriage was the "thing he wants to accomplish" or even said, "Can you publish my ideas on gay marriage?" He was asked the question about a controversial issue by a newspaper reporter and answered with his belief that probably 99% of us could have guessed what they were already. I can see how it gets the MLive forums worked up, but I'm surprised this place is dwelling on it. I'm sure he was asked that because it was controversial and would sell papers. Looks like it worked great!

What scared me was to hear him talk about what a BIG deal a billion dollars is (might have been in the video). Coming from a guy who has a better idea on how much money a billion is, it was interesting to hear him talk about how we have been blindly spending money in the Federal Government for years...

One other thing...

One thing I like about this forum is that despite various political, social, religious, etc. views we all come to discuss this city we've grown to love and the urban spaces that make it up and all seem to be respectful of each other (most of the time) . I'm surprised that such a title to this topic has been left up since it's clearly biased towards one view on RDV. My two cents...

Wait a minute. You guys aren't suggesting that everyone should just accept Rich Devos' take on life, hook line and sinker, are you? He's given GR a bunch of money so we should all suck it up and keep our mouths shut? He's made it a personal goal to campaign against gay marriage, even in other states, and as long as his check clears everything is hunky dory? What kinds of principles are those?

And since when does challenging a person's beliefs constitute "hate?" Especially when a person's own personal religious beliefs start to creep into public policy.

What scared me was to hear him talk about what a BIG deal a billion dollars is (might have been in the video). Coming from a guy who has a better idea on how much money a billion is, it was interesting to hear him talk about how we have been blindly spending money in the Federal Government for years...

Bush sank billions and billions into into two wars, and never accounted for it in his budgets. DeVos never spoke up about what a big deal that was. He's not saying this because "he has a better idea," he's just throwing out another Republican talking point.

Seriously though, I really do ooze affection for the DeVos family. But like Dad said, I'm gonna speak up at things I don't agree with.

1) I agree that Bush spent way too much, too. That's why I said years...I know he didn't bring Bush up (and probably wouldn't have if the interview was a year ago) but we are still spending money like it's free and he knows the cost of money like few others.

2) I like the debates here, that's not what I'm saying...I'm just saying that the fact that the topic title is skewed anti-DeVos doesn't seem to lead to a respectful debate. "Rich DeVos - Press Interview" seems more like the way discussions would be labeled on this board.

i'm fascinated by the fact mr. devos is such a staunch republican, doesn't believe gays should have the same rights as he, refers to "them" like they're 2nd class citizens, tells "them" to go do something else and he won't stick his nose in their lives and yet...

he started a health and beauty company...

he started a hospitality company...

one of the wives is a fashion designer..

one of the grandsons started a movie website...

they're creating the world's largest art competition...

he's one of the biggest arts and entertainment philanthropists.

not that the gays have a lock on all of these things but you can't deny they are heavily influenced by the gay community. reading this list you'd think they'd be going into the floral business next! i kid, but, you'd think he would have gained a little more compassion for other people... being a "christian" as he says he is. maybe there are no gays in the devos family he could learn something from. or they're just to scared to let anyone know.

west michigan owes a debt of gratitude to the devos' and van andel families. we'd be hurting big time without them. at the same time, i hope the younger generation is more inclusive of ALL types of people.

On behalf of make-up artists, caterers, fashion designers, filmmakers, artists and entertainement people the world over, thank you for your support...

Weep not doctors, nurses, lawyers, clergy, politicians, astronauts, firefighters, captians of industry, steelworkers, pilots, teachers, architects, journalists, auto mechanics, law enforcement officers, farmers, stone cutters, letter carriers, engineers, trash haulers, loggers, fishermen, arborists, accountants, ranchers and trollycar operators... I think you too have backing.

Archived