Free The Hops - Brewing in Alabama

convulso

I thought this topic had a history on the forums, but my searches didn't find anything related to it.

Now that AL can sell the headier stuff, I'm curious to see where it will make its earliest appearances, especially in Bham. Any early reports on stores that have already expanded their inventories? My guess is that Whole Foods-type chains will be among the quickest to respond.

I may be alone in my enthusiasm for this change - it's a small one - but it really is a nice one, IMHO.

If anyone has reports of locations (restaurants, retail, whatever) statewide that have great expanded beer selections, post here or maybe create separate city-specific topics. might be useful information for the sots amongst us.

Free the Hops

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone has reports of locations (restaurants, retail, whatever) statewide that have great expanded beer selections, post here or maybe create separate city-specific topics. might be useful information for the sots amongst us.

Good news, indeed! The first restaurant to expand beer selections in Montgomery was El Rey Burrito Lounge in Old Cloverdale. The owner drove to Birmingham to pick up beer last Thursday so that he could serve it that night.

El Rey king as race for stronger beers get green light

• 2 years later...

Another victory for Free the Hops in the 2011 legislative session - the legislature passed a bill that

removes a provision that required brew pubs to operate in designated historic buildings; removes restrictions on brewing; allows brew pub owners to sell their product to wholesalers for distribution and allows breweries to sell samples of their product on site. (Montgomery Advertiser)

Brew pubs can now sell their beer off site through distributors, which gives them a much better chance of survival in a tough market.

Approved bill could help Brew Pub reopen

Archived