Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Griswald

IN PROGRESS: The Box Office

15 posts in this topic

I didn't see any posts about this project yet, I apologize if it's already been mentioned:

The Box Office

The user comments are pretty scathing, as is typical with the online Journal readers. It's the negativity that often gets mentioned here on UP, something we need to get rid of by attracting new people to the state, and keeping college grads here!

So what if you don't like the architectural style - it's different for the city, it's better than an abandoned overgrown lot, and it displays some environmentally-conscious design.

I didn't see any posts about this project yet, I apologize if it's already been mentioned:

The Box Office

The user comments are pretty scathing, as is typical with the online Journal readers. It's the negativity that often gets mentioned here on UP, something we need to get rid of by attracting new people to the state, and keeping college grads here!

So what if you don't like the architectural style - it's different for the city, it's better than an abandoned overgrown lot, and it displays some environmentally-conscious design.

I'm surprised people are upset by the architecture given where it is - I had just assumed that lot would be vacant indefinitely. The funny thing is that they probably could have put up some faceless steel industrial building and no one would have said anything.

Here's a photo of the site from this past Saturday:

BoxOfficeSite.jpg

Bit of an update for those who don't make it down to o-ville on a regular basis. Demolition of the structure on this site appears to be complete. Looks like they are excavating for what I would assume will be a slab foundation. Sorry no pics.

Bit of an update for those who don't make it down to o-ville on a regular basis. Demolition of the structure on this site appears to be complete. Looks like they are excavating for what I would assume will be a slab foundation. Sorry no pics.

Excavation is pretty deep at this point. It seems odd that they would use a full basement, but thats what it looks like at the moment.

I drove by last week and noticed that some of the footings had been poured and I think I saw forms for the foundation. It's nice to see progress on projects these days, seeing as many developments have been delayed or fallen through....

I happened to be driving down the 6/10 today and was surprised to see a container flying through the air. So, I jumped off the highway to watch them place a few more containers. I spoke to Peter Case (Developer) and he said. " The crews are planning on placing all of the containers over the next few days.

I happened to be driving down the 6/10 today and was surprised to see a container flying through the air. So, I jumped off the highway to watch them place a few more containers. I spoke to Peter Case (Developer) and he said. " The crews are planning on placing all of the containers over the next few days.

Anyone know how long it will be to finish this "thing?" I hope they have plans to paint the whole thing one solid color and landscape the perimeter. This thing had better be LEED certified as a tradeoff for its... (how do I put this...) architectural insignificance. But it isn't done yet so I have hope it will come out looking ten times better than the tin can with the American flag graffiti which it replaces.

Looking forward to summer!

Rendering:

boxoffice.jpg

I don't know what the date is for completion, but it is coming up quickly. I may be taking a tour next week, so it is done enough to bring people in.