Better Roads

tozmervo

I like that you're thinking outside the box. It's not a bad idea, but there are some logistical issues with it.

The biggest problem is that there probably isn't enough capacity for 10,000 on street parking spaces even if you used every street in uptown. I think there are something like 900 metered spaces in uptown, southend and elizabeth ave. Even then, you'd have to meter the residential wards, and the residents there would raise hell. Beyond that, you have capacity issues already, and if you throw parked cars in the existing travel lanes, it would be chaos.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could have used any topic for this idea - but I chose this one.

How about this concept:

As the surface lots are sold and redeveloped into a more welcoming urban use, consider building daily on-street metered parking in Uptown.

Pro's:

-The City of Charlotte (presumably in conjunction with NCDOT) will collect revenue from cars parked on these streets. Could be anything from $5 a day up I guess. So this becomes a new revenue stream. 10,000 cars a day for $5 could sure help to build out more transit options, to better serve those who park their cars on-street.

-Puts the roads on a diet - smaller urban roads are usually more valuable to a city in that they provide a better atmosphere for the city dweller. This may prove more enticing for street fronting retail to come, sidewalk cafes, stroll districts, etc.

-Healthier and more informed residents. So you have to park 2 blocks from your office - get some exercise tons-o-fun, and while you're at it, read the menu from that new cafe that just opened when you walk by.

-Beat the rush! Don't get caught up waiting to exit that claustrophic parking structure at 5pm - just pull out of your spot onto the road.

Con's:

-NCDOT will have to be convinced that a CITY should not have wide, runway-like streets - no matter what the use/capacity formula is.

Would anyone like to comment/add?

I think on-street parking Uptown should have restrictions on duration (even when free on evenings and weekends) but not peak-period. If you allow daily or parking longer than two hours, then you take spaces away from those just visiting Uptown for an errand, shopping or lunch. Meanwhile, peak-period restrictions turn Uptown streets into race tracks at rush hour.

I think on-street parking Uptown should have restrictions on duration (even when free on evenings and weekends) but not peak-period. If you allow daily or parking longer than two hours, then you take spaces away from those just visiting Uptown for an errand, shopping or lunch. Meanwhile, peak-period restrictions turn Uptown streets into race tracks at rush hour.

Archived