Liberty Park

While doing research on Lakewood Park at the library last weekend I found they had a little competition.

Lakewood Park was most definitely Charlotte's premier amusement park from 1910-1933 and the bigger/better of the two, but they were competitors as they were less than 2 miles from each other and both serviced by electric railway. Liberty Park was built for the soldiers and by the soldiers for Camp Greene and it was located near the camp. They had a Whip ride, one of the earlier thrill rides of that time (some historic parks still have them), movies, bowling, dancing, ferris wheel, circle swings, etc.

I added the Liberty Park ad to my site for those interested in a little Charlotte history.

http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/LibertParkad.jpg

I also added quite a bit more photos and info on Lakewood Park (including a 1929 map of the midway). The Lakewood Park link is in my sig.

thx!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived