Why hope artiste village might not be so good for all of Pawtucket

I'm hoping to start some discussion here about where Hope artiste village is getting it's tenants from because I'm starting to see a pattern where some of these businesses that have formed this community are being taken from other struggling parts of Pawtucket that will now struggle more because of loosing what they already had.

Has your community lost a business to Hope artiste? Let's discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pam, you're now officially on my list of top Bucketeers. This shows the kind of large systems thinking Pawtucket so dreadfully lacks. Planning types call it 'whole places' development. Whenever you plan or execute a development, this approach says you need to look at the many systems that the development affects: economy, environment, built environment, social fabric, etc. And here, you're looking at the total city economy and asking: Is this a net gain?

I have to say that I haven't seen anything in my area move over there. Can you cite specific examples? One restaurant is new, and one is new to the city. That's about all I know.

frymaster, as a bucketeer, does that mean I get to wear a bucket on me hed?! are Kirsten and Joe still around, can I at least get the teeshirt?

I know that topic header was a bit harsh sounding, I really don't mean to diss Hope artiste, I've been hearing some talk and just wanted to hear if there was any more.

First of all, I do think that Hope artiste is indeed fantastic in many, many ways, they really have built a wonderful thing down there and I commend them on the hard work they've done wholeheartedly. It's just that sometimes trying to do a good thing can blind you to what was already good to begin with, if you had just looked at it through a different lens.

I'm speaking specifically about Luke records on Broadway. I came to find out recently to my delight that Luke was fully up and running again, for about a year now. For those of you who don't know, Luke will be celebrating his 30 yr anniversary this year, he's got one of the best used record collections around, what's old is what's new, Luke's getting pretty good business again, he had shut down over the last couple of years, so it was nice to see him back. Anyway, when I stopped in to see him recently, he mentioned that someone from hope artiste village had approached him because they saw the for sale sign and offered him a spot with them. I understand the Hope artiste village representative was just trying to help someone who appeared to be a struggling business owner, which I do think is a great thing, but it's just that Luke actually owns that building, Luke said no to the big box store CVS 15 or so years ago, when everyone else on the block wanted to sell. (sounds a little like "urban smart growth" doesn't it?) He also used to run our neighborhood association. The point is, our neighborhood struggles to keep it's good stuff already, it bothered me that someone tried to sell Luke a new place to set up shop rather than just buying something from him to actually support his business.

Representatives from Hope artiste have also made an extremely strong attempt over the years to move the Pawtucket farmers market there, another struggling entity that a number of people have spent an amazing amount of time and effort trying to build in the downtown/pleasant view area. Thankfully reason and good sense prevailed and the Pawtucket Farmers' Market is staying Downtown at the Slater Mill which will keep it best accessible to the whole city of Pawtucket and is the perfect upgrade in venue for a quickly growing market. (just for reference, it took Hope st/lippet pk the last 10 years to build into what it is now). All of Pawtucket benefits from year round farmers' markets now, what a lucky city we are!

If Pawtucket is going to develop in a way that is healthy for the whole community, then the whole community needs to be constantly considered when development is planned.

Isn't it also smarter to just go shop with each other and support each others businesses all over the city instead of trying to move things that people have already struggled to build? I would really like for people in Pawtucket to support each other more in making good stuff happen all around the city rather than competing over the good bits that are already here, that's all.

First of all, SOMEONE who watches these boards quite closely was kinda down on them - for reasons that have nothing to do with us users and our discussings. This, my friend, is why UP is crucial to this region.

Second, massive kudos to HAV for responding directly. And 2 out of 70 something as intra-city transplants is a GREAT record. Too bad that one of them was a critical part of your neighborhood, Pam. HAV, if you're still reading, you may note that I do not write or even speak your given name - either here or on my blog or in person - because it is not a good one. The snootiness of the additional "e" is badly out of character with the city of Pawtucket. Just walk in your surrounding neighborhood to get a sense of where you are. I call you Hope Village or HAV or Urban Smart Growth.

Third, Joe and Kirsten hold down the northwestern-most outpost of "new Pawtucket" in the former Schafer Furniture building on Broad St. Don't know about them shirts.

Fourth, bucket-helmet wearing is only permissible for those with blood-alcohol levels at least twice the legal limit, so .16% in RI.

Fifth, the Pawtucket Pride folks did yeoman's work (yeo-mama's work?) on the back of the Slater's Mill parking lot, so that FM can feel better. (Park-ish area in front of Tolman also looking SWEEET! We can haz bike path?)

This is why I hate this blogging thing. I haven't come across clearly. I apologize.

Please, let me clarify. I am NOT accusing Hope Artiste Village or anyone from Urban Smart growth of taking anything away from my neighborhood in any way at all. I repeat, I am not aware of any business from my neighborhood that has moved to Hope Artiste.

I brought it up because another person I was talking with about development in Pawtucket agrees there might be some problems with the phenomena of "harvesting" businesses for development projects from within the immediate community. I understand helping out a business that needs a place to go, absolutely. Who wouldn't admire anyone who tries to save a local business, that's a good thing, no argument there.

There's finally some really great things going on in this crazy little city/town, thanks to Hope Artiste, Pawt. foundation, the City and many unrecognized people who have worked really hard to make the good stuff stick. PPD rocked no doubt, buckets of thanks to everyone who helped out.

I also agree the extra "e" is maybe a tiny bit pretentious. I pronounce the words hope artiste, hope artist.

Kirsten used to make these awesome "bucket" tees. they're fantastic, it would be so cool if she made more. do you talk to them? if so, tell them Pam said yo.

Archived