CONCEPT: Hartford Bus Transit Center

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you are refering to the big dig, the problems there had more to do with the complexity of the project as a whole.

Remember there were two tunnels that went under water , 4 highway interchanges and a bridge in that project. None of that was cut and cover, the elevated highway was the easy part.

I-84 is just a highway. there is sparce development compared to Boston, it would really be "easy" by comparison. Furthermore, I-84 could be re-routed around Hartford and it would not be tragic in the short term. There would be the other directions lanes as well as the parallell streets in downtown. If the timeline assumes 10-15 years as stated, the commuter rail and possibly Waterbury Hartford rail will be in use alleviating many of the local traffic concerns, but really this is all much more suited for our burying I 84- thread :)

if you are refering to the big dig, the problems there had more to do with the complexity of the project as a whole.

Remember there were two tunnels that went under water , 4 highway interchanges and a bridge in that project. None of that was cut and cover, the elevated highway was the easy part.

I-84 is just a highway. there is sparce development compared to Boston, it would really be "easy" by comparison. Furthermore, I-84 could be re-routed around Hartford and it would not be tragic in the short term. There would be the other directions lanes as well as the parallell streets in downtown. If the timeline assumes 10-15 years as stated, the commuter rail and possibly Waterbury Hartford rail will be in use alleviating many of the local traffic concerns, but really this is all much more suited for our burying I 84- thread :)

I fully agree that emissions are a problem. the good thing is that the president agrees with us, and the voters agree, and they have forced the car manufacturers to at least pay attention.

With hybrids becoming much more common, and electric vehicles coming back from the dead after 40 years, it is safe to assume that the vehicle emmissions coming off I-84 and I-91 will decrease even if traffic inceases over the next 10-15 years.

on top of this commuter rail should also drasticly improve air quality the cities.

The biggest issues will be busses and tractor trailors. Busses are moving towards fuel cells, and many european cities have laws against internal combustion engines. due to this European trailer trucks have both diesel and electric capabilities, and just flip a switch as they enter city limits.

I do not see emissions as an obsticle.

Thats good news Bill. I definately would like to be more involved in the while Viaduct solution.

I think it would be interesting to get a few people together to brainstorm on the ideas that you have and well, my adendum and of course others to find the most affordable and efficent(therefore do-able) way to "fix Hartford"

How do you get on the Hubs mailing list?

I signed up at a meeting and never got mail, and never remember to look for meetings.

I want to be involved, but am scatterbrained enough to manage to miss everything :)

cheers

cut and cover

just like thre NYC subway did at first.

very cost effective .

once covered, the surface would be reclaimed kind of like that map I made.

and the cool thing is you could do it one direction at a time to keep traffic flowing.

The City of Boston disagrees with you.

Boston didnt do cut and cover !!

Archived