Toll Roads Feasible?

akahogfan

I knew that we were going to be short a bunch of money, but I had no idea that it would be over $20 Billion.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...27029&cID=5

Would it be plausible to turn some of the state highways into toll roads? I am mainly thinking about 412, but I am sure there are others that would work as well. I don't know the amount of traffic required to make the idea possible.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew that we were going to be short a bunch of money, but I had no idea that it would be over $20 Billion.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...27029&cID=5

Would it be plausible to turn some of the state highways into toll roads? I am mainly thinking about 412, but I am sure there are others that would work as well. I don't know the amount of traffic required to make the idea possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I would tend to agree, toll roads may not be popular simply because Arkansans aren't used to dealing with them, but they are actually quite common. We are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that a toll road may be the best solution for maintaining a particular stretch of highway, perhaps especially those that are not heavily used enough to warrant the investment of massive public funds for their continued upkeep. Nothing saying that some less-traveled roads couldn't be converted back to gravel or some other less-expensive-to-maintain surface. It's not the end of the world, and better than no road at all.

Archived