Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Name

Oranjestad, Aruba

1 post in this topic

We took a vacation over the winter to Aruba.

We chose Aruba because I am a big fan of Holland and hoped to find a little bit of that in the island of Aruba. I'll admit that I was a little disappointed, I think I wanted a more authentic cultural experience. It's a tourist island, but not without it's charm. If I were to make a suggestion, I would say go to Jamaica for a more traditional native experience. I wonder if there are any traditional island experiences out there that haven't been watered down by tourism.

This is the harbor in Oranjestad, notice the Celebrity X cruise ship docked and assume that this is the most touristy part of the city.

Aruba%20089.jpg

There aren't much for undisturbed beaches on the island, but if you point the camera just right, you might cut out the rest of the world.

Aruba%20063.jpg

I get excited by Euro-looking traffic signs, and pretty girls.

Aruba%20068.jpg

So this is the arcade (I think that's what it's called now). It's pretty much a tourist trap kind of outdoor mall, but the building is quite ornate and striking.

Aruba%20074.jpg

A view from the 3rd floor of the arcade looking out at the cruise ship peer.

Aruba%20075.jpg

This is the luxury mall right in the center of Oranjestad. All the highend shopping, duty free for the cruise shippers. It's built out just like a luxury American mall, but the corridors are open to the street (no doors). Better, but still I don't like malls at all.

Aruba%20078.jpg

This is a courtyard (in a rainstorm) in the center of the city. From what I can tell, before the luxury mall and the cruise ship district, the name brand stores and shops were here. Some still are, we went into a Nike Store. I know it's all the same product, but I would have been happier to see the stores lining down the narrow cobblestone streets, rather than in a marble floor luxury mall. This is the most authentic area I found in Oranjestad.

Aruba%20079.jpg

Aruba%20080.jpg

Aruba%20081.jpg

Aruba%20082.jpg

Aruba%20083.jpg

Here's a wall mural.

Aruba%20092.jpg

Balashi, the beer of Aruba, light - kind of like Stella Artior.

Aruba%20094.jpg

This small sidewalk bridge allowed a canal to flow under the street and inside the Reniassance Hotel (directly to our right). Guests at this luxury hotel could take a boat from INSIDE the hotel, under the street and to a private island.

Aruba%20091.jpg