COMPLETE: Providence Career & Technical High School

This is old news, as the building is already around 75% complete or so. No one ever started a thread for it though, so here it is....

From the Projo: "Providence's new career and technical high school boasts athletic fields, TV station, wireless library..."

I'm surprised no one has really talked about this building, as it is a rare example of modern architecture in Providence, and in my opinion a welcome addition to the neighborhood; though in stark contrast to the surrounding built landscape. The architect is The SLAM Collaborative, and the construction manager is Gilbane. I actually got a tour of the building back in February, as part of the ACE Mentor Program. The project adheres to the CHPS (Collaborative for High Performance Schools) practices, as part of "a national movement to improve student performance and the entire educational experience by building the best possible schools." Here is some more information on how this project works with CHPS:

Providence Career and Technical Academy

PVD-CareerTech-CHPS.jpg

Here's a couple of progress photos from last Saturday:

PVDTechHS.jpg

PVDTechHS-2.jpg

PVDTechHS-3.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks pretty sharp.

I think modernism works best in this type of context, as an isolated example that contrasts with surrounding, more traditional architecture. Too many buildings like this put together look like they're all fighting for attention, but a lone example of the style really makes a statement.

That looks pretty sharp.

I think modernism works best in this type of context, as an isolated example that contrasts with surrounding, more traditional architecture. Too many buildings like this put together look like they're all fighting for attention, but a lone example of the style really makes a statement.

• 3 months later...

Archived