Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yankee Fan

Traditional Manufacturing Jobs vs Green Manufacturing Jobs

6 posts in this topic

With the apparent push for more manufacturing centered around green products and services (especially in our home state of Michigan), I thought that an article on cnn.com was pretty interesting. It talks about the big difference in pay scales at the blue collar level and how that is so significant of a change that many people will have to make some tough choices.

Here is the link: http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/04/news/econo...dex.htm?cnn=yes

I would say that, from my standpoint, white collar engineering positions are paying about the same at both types of manufacturing facilities. But, because my company does not focus on hourly/traditional blue collar positions, I cannot say that I was aware that there was such a pay gap.

Anyone have a first hand perspective of this gap in West Michigan?

With the apparent push for more manufacturing centered around green products and services (especially in our home state of Michigan), I thought that an article on cnn.com was pretty interesting. It talks about the big difference in pay scales at the blue collar level and how that is so significant of a change that many people will have to make some tough choices.

Here is the link: http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/04/news/econo...dex.htm?cnn=yes

I would say that, from my standpoint, white collar engineering positions are paying about the same at both types of manufacturing facilities. But, because my company does not focus on hourly/traditional blue collar positions, I cannot say that I was aware that there was such a pay gap.

Here is the link: http://money.cnn.com...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Green industries are not as efficient. Just try frying an egg on the pavement. You lower your level of "living standards" when you go green. Living standards as far as luxuries are concerned. One of the prime luxuries that you forbear is level of pay. This whole lifestyle is glorified by hippies. Sometimes I believe it's the lifestyle that they are after, not the "cause". And it's a lifestyle they believe they have the right to make everyone else conform to with the thought of the well being of people, well after the well being of their planet.

Green industries are not as efficient. Just try frying an egg on the pavement. You lower your level of "living standards" when you go green. Living standards as far as luxuries are concerned. One of the prime luxuries that you forbear is level of pay. This whole lifestyle is glorified by hippies. Sometimes I believe it's the lifestyle that they are after, not the "cause". And it's a lifestyle they believe they have the right to make everyone else conform to with the thought of the well being of people, well after the well being of their planet.