Veridea Development

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too excited given the project's location (West of 55 and south of US 1). Also, given the size (700 acres) I fully expect something that looks just like Brier Creek or Crossroads. I also expect Apex to rubber stamp it, just as they did with Beaver Creek Commons, which (incidentally) looks a lot like Brier Creek or Crossroads.

We'll see. I hate to be a naysayer, but Orulz is probably right. I've found that just about everything outside the beltline (except maybe North Hills) never actually proves to be "sustainable" or "green" as they advertise it to be.

In the end, I'm afraid once it's said and done, it'll be just more western Wake sprawl-o-rama. :unsure:

"massive" and "eco-friendly" are not words that lend themselves to being used in the same sentence(in the N&O article). Greenways and LEED certification do not earn the right to call the place sustainable. It may ultimately have urban form, density, transit options, bike lanes, innovative stormwater site control and treatment, a solar farm powering part of the site, and reuse water lines to all the landscaped areas, but I am not encouraged by the tone of the article.

Even if this project has proper urban form and function it is still going to be out in the boonies. Why did they not aquire land near the "Villages of Apex" development? Maybe there was not enough available land in the immediate area of VOA, I don't know. I will say it seems like Apex is trying to step up and try to live up to their slogan, "The peak of good living"

Some of the stats on Veridea are jaw dropping:

• 1,015 acres

• 10 million square feet of offices

• 3.5 million square feet of shops

• 2 million square feet of manufacturing space

• 8,000 homes

• 20,000 residents

• 30,000 jobs

Yeah, much of this is probably pie in the sky, but even if they reach 1/2 of the proposed buildout, it's still basically building a new town from scratch. I generally don't like greenfield development, but it's realistically going to happen whether we like it or not, so we might as well direct new development to areas where it is appropriate (away from conservation areas, waterways, and adjacent to other development--no leap-frogging) and plan it right from the start. That means a medium-high density vertical mixed use (walkable/bikable) new urbanist type of environment with access to transit as a prominent central feature. In this case, the developer at least hinted to what his plans are by showing a rail transit vehicle in his promo boards. While there's a *VERY* long way to go, this is at least a bit more than dreamed up, as the Capital Area MPO has proposed a long term LRT extension to Apex that would terminate at Veridea.

For reference, here is the sketch plan (not much detail) & WRAL video.

• 4 months later...

Straight out of the handbook of "What the Hell are you talking about", the one commenter said in her remarks that I-540 should be completed before this is built and that she does not want Apex to lose its small town feel. Sorry commenter. I-540 is killing the small town feel even before its built. c'est la vie.

Archived