Need Bicycling Pictures for Grand Region Bike Map

gvstudent

So here's the deal. I am working on the Grand Region Bike Map for MDOT and the current pictures that are going into the bike map are genaric and do not fully capture the beauty of the Grand Region (Kent, Ottawa includes the Allegan portion of Holland, Muskegon, Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Montcalm, and Ionia Counties). They really do not give any justice to West Michigan as a biking destination. I want to show off West Michigan.

The criteria for the pictures:

*Riders must be wearing helmets

*Variety of Landscapes (i.e. Urban, rural, & Lakeshore Areas, iconic West Michigan buildings/landscapes/pedestrian bridges)

*Diversity (age, gender, ethnicity, etc.)

I cannot garuantee all of the pictures will be published. No names will be in the pictures. I appreciate all of your help.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Submission process?

Specifications (other than helmets yadda yadda)?

Deadline?

Does a prototype exist (e.g. Capital region, SE Metro)?

How many photos will the map contain? What size will it be? How large will the photos be?

Presumably you have seen the LMB calendar with its multitude of photos (helmets, ethnicities, bike types, disabilities, riding styles, etc.).

(inquiring minds want to help, need to know)

Submission process?

Specifications (other than helmets yadda yadda)?

Deadline?

Does a prototype exist (e.g. Capital region, SE Metro)?

How many photos will the map contain? What size will it be? How large will the photos be?

Presumably you have seen the LMB calendar with its multitude of photos (helmets, ethnicities, bike types, disabilities, riding styles, etc.).

(inquiring minds want to help, need to know)

• Prototypes exists, I see that you found the website. Currently we have 6 pictures, but I think there could be anywhere from 5-7 depending upon the sized of the pictures. The size of the map is the size of a road map that MDOT releases each year.

That would be 36" x 27", according to my printer set-up screen.

How about providing submission details for those not on UP? I would post your request where all state's bike club folks can see it, except for that minor challenge. (Looking at the "University region" map, I can see why better photos would help.)

Let's try this again:

How about providing submission details for those not on UP? I would post your request where all state's bike club folks can see it... except that to post something on Urban Planet requires a login, and sometimes a photo account.

If you were to provide your own e-mail address, I could circulate that to those who might have good photos. I don't want to send my personal e-mail address to bicycle club members who might have photos. Nor do I want to collect submissions for you, since this is your gig.

Something like, "send your digital photos to [me]@[iSP].com" would work really well. Or, if MDOT can set up a mailbox, [westmibikephotos]@[michdot].[gov].

Hope that this clarifies.

Let's try this again:

How about providing submission details for those not on UP? I would post your request where all state's bike club folks can see it... except that to post something on Urban Planet requires a login, and sometimes a photo account.

If you were to provide your own e-mail address, I could circulate that to those who might have good photos. I don't want to send my personal e-mail address to bicycle club members who might have photos. Nor do I want to collect submissions for you, since this is your gig.

Something like, "send your digital photos to [me]@[iSP].com" would work really well. Or, if MDOT can set up a mailbox, [westmibikephotos]@[michdot].[gov].

Hope that this clarifies.

Perhaps a photo could be gotten from one of the PedalGR rides? I think it'd be quite a statement to pull out a GR map and seeing a photo with some 50 people all helmeted and of various ages and genders riding together.. especially considering the typical white man, black woman, both riding with an almost-laughing smile just seems faked no matter how it's approached. A photo of one of our mass group rides would really drive the point these aren't staged photos, and that this is a -destination- for biking.

Perhaps a photo could be gotten from one of the PedalGR rides? I think it'd be quite a statement to pull out a GR map and seeing a photo with some 50 people all helmeted and of various ages and genders riding together.. especially considering the typical white man, black woman, both riding with an almost-laughing smile just seems faked no matter how it's approached. A photo of one of our mass group rides would really drive the point these aren't staged photos, and that this is a -destination- for biking.

I am thinking about some PedalGR photos and others that I have that would be good to submit.

Thanks for coming out tonight Tony. Tonight's ride was so much fun! And Blandford is a great place to visit, as always.

I am thinking of using a few photos from PedalGR, if it is okay. One is of the Mayor's Bike Ride goup photo at Calder Plaza and the second are some that were taken of people on the blue bridge in front of the JW and Amway Grand-possible map cover panel.

Who are some contact people for bike clubs in West Michigan? or even bike clubs in general? I will be at the WMTGC's Annual Meeting at Meijer Gardens tomorrow (6-18-09). Hopefully I can meet people there.

Archived