Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lmichigan

Cooley Law School to open new Ann Arbor campus

6 posts in this topic

I guess there is a need for low-cost law education in the city. At first I was surprised, but then remembered that Cooley isn't competing (because it can't) with Michigan Law, rather adding a service for those priced out of Michigan Law:

"Low cost"? Tuition at Cooley is about $28500, exclusive of books and other fees. Tuition at Michigan Law is $41500 for Michigan residents. On the other hand, graduates of the latter have a very good shot at finding a job when the graduate. Cooley grads have an uphill struggle, especially in this economy. It is not a matter of being "priced out" of Michigan Law, since anyone who can get into Michigan Law and has a financial issue will be able to get grants or loans sufficient to make up any difference between tuition at Cooley and tuition at Michigan.

Speaking as a lawyer, there are too many law schools out there promising bright futures to folks who (a) shouldn't be lawyers in the first place or (b) will not have a chance ever to build a financially rewarding practice. I am afraid that I put Cooley into that category, though I am sure that there are successful Cooley grads throughout the state.

How about "lower cost", then? Jeeze. I was being respectful of UofM's prestige and trying to subtly highlights Cooley's rather poor reputation. I appreciate the opinion about where Cooley can find its niche, but I could have done without the unnecessary condescension. It's why I don't bother posting much, anymore. I'll stick to my own subforum from now on.

How about "lower cost", then? Jeeze. I was being respectful of UofM's prestige and trying to subtly highlights Cooley's rather poor reputation. I appreciate the opinion about where Cooley can find its niche, but I could have done without the unnecessary condescension. It's why I don't bother posting much, anymore. I'll stick to my own subforum from now on.