Big job announcement in Charlotte

tiblerbrit

Just saw a ticker on the morning news in Chapel Hill that Bev Purdue is in Charlotte to announce the biggest job creation event in the country since the beginning of the recession. Heres a link to the blurb in the Observer from yesterday. Maybe the NACA is moving to Charlotte? This could be the mystery tenant for 300 S Tryon.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/774054.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a Boston based non-profit company that helps people who are underwater with their mortgages get upright. They already have a presence in CLT, but this will be much more significant. They will work nationally from a Charlotte base (and I assume still keeping their original Boston base too).

So it is NACA. That's a lot of jobs. I realize they mobilize borrowers as protesters (as opposed to employees). Will these be call center-type jobs? They do utilize intermediaries between borrowers or prospective borrowers and lenders, for origination or refinancing transactions. If they're simply basing a bunch of these intermediaries in Charlotte in a customer service-type operation, hopefully it's not what I envision from the "self-described bank terrorist". Does NACA/Perdue confirm that the jobs will be downtown?

So sayeth the Business Journal:

Under the five-year state incentive agreement, the organization plans to add 550 jobs immediately. The jobs will pay an average annual wage of $35,982. The hiring will focus on mortgage negotiators, customer-service representatives, call-center managers and mortgage counselors.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/storie...08/daily44.html

These types of jobs are just as important as the high-paying white-collar job announcements we tend to get excited about. Seems like these jobs represent opportunities for a lot of "regular Joes" to secure employment in a time of economic uncertainty, and that's definitely a good thing.

^ Very true. Hopefully these are jobs filled by local residents, which I assume they would be. Glad to hear some relatively positive news on the job front. I didn't read where these jobs would be located. It seems that they may need additional space if they are expanding from 100 jobs to over 1100.

There is a quote from Tim Belk saying that these jobs will be on the Eastside. They must have negotiated more space in the office park they are already in. It makes sense to put these jobs in a lower income area, it wouldn't look great if a non-profit for low income individuals had an expensive lease uptown.

.......Sounds as if they are going to the Kellogg Center on Albemaro Rd. I believe this is the rather large modern building complex near Reddmon Rd. This was once considered upscale property in CLT. Back in the day when downtown was considered the low rent district.

Yuck....NACA.....they protest the children of Bank execs at their schools....dispicable practices. Worse, they make borrowers whose loans they modify do protest work as "payment".

I can't justify spending a single dollar to bring a non-profit group that participates in such behavior, especially one paying average wages of $36k/year/

Yuck....NACA.....they protest the children of Bank execs at their schools....dispicable practices. Worse, they make borrowers whose loans they modify do protest work as "payment".

I can't justify spending a single dollar to bring a non-profit group that participates in such behavior, especially one paying average wages of $36k/year/

Oh, I was asked that by someone else as well, no, not that I know of. I speculated Hartford because they have an office in that building as well, and since they became a Bank Holding Company it seemed logical that they would look at Charlotte. I have heard strong rumors of 2 others firms besided GMAC and Morgan Stanley, I know who one of them is but can't reveal, and the other I'm totally clueless to the identity, but both would be classified as major financial firms.....that's why I threw Hartford out there as a good fit.

Reading the stories of what these jobs mean to the people getting them, I don't see how anyone could be against this move and it sounds as if they will be helping many others. It's one of the better uses of public money that I have seen in Charlotte.

Interestingly enough 50% of the people there in one group of 100 raise their hand when asked if anyone once worked at a bank.

Archived