THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

Yeah, I'd give this building about 1:1 odds. Didn't you say it had some sinking problems? Either way, great old building in what will be a good location. Surprised it hasn't been snatched up yet.

Joe

Yes, the listing package comes with an engineering report that shows it needs $700 or $800K worth of hydraulic jacks attached to the foundation and sunk into the ground in quite a few places to fix a sinking problem at the NW corner. You can see on the North wall a split in the bricks from the ground up to the roof where the Westerly portion has settled. Even sinking $800K into it still puts it at a great starting point for a residential makeover. I'd totally do it if I could!!

One more question about the Ionia rebuild, does anyone know if they extend the read brick for the road?

I believe if they find original brick underneath the asphalt, then they replace it with new brick.

• 2 months later...

I'm getting verklempt. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Downtown Market given official moniker and a series of social media sites

I'm going to keep my disappointment to myself because, well, I'll bet we're all thinking the same thing.

"Downtown Market"

"Oh, you must be talking about the one in Grand Rapids, Michigan!"

Originality abounds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

March 4, 2013 update - The first two tenants of the indoor market have been announced: Love's Ice Cream and Michigan coffee roaster, Simpatico Coffee.

March 21, 2013 update - Three more tenants have been announced: Old World Olive Press, Crescent Floral and Tony's Gourmet Kettle Corn

http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?com=detail&eID=184486

For some reason when I try to format the following the whole thing disappears, so just pasting this raw from twitter:

grnow @grnow 32m

3 more Downtown Market indoor tenants announced: Old World Olive Press, Crescent Floral & Tony's Gourmet Kettle Corn.
http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?com=detail&eID=184486
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite More
Antonio Leone @AntonioLeoneDJ 31m

@grnow That means Monroe C & Ottawa in the Flatiron will be vacant, won't it?
Expand
grnow @grnow 6m

@AntonioLeoneDJ Thinking Old World Olive Press will have two downtown locations now.

I drove by the Downtown Market this morning and they had a couple of big trucks doing something to the poles. I couldn't figure out if they were yanking them out or putting more in. Hopefully pulling them out. :)

Joe

I can't remember if those utility poles are planned to be buried on Ionia by the market? Geez, they are ugly.

I'm eagerly awaiting the brewery announcement. This place opens soon!

Has there been any news about the brewery other than it was going to be delayed?

I didn't think it was being "fousted" on what it was going to be, if it went in.

If its the one I've heard, seems like a bit of a strange choice, but maybe the concept would work.

Has there been any news about the brewery other than it was going to be delayed?

I didn't think it was being "fousted" on what it was going to be, if it went in.

If its the one I've heard, seems like a bit of a strange choice, but maybe the concept would work.

It was supposed to be announced back on March 18th. But apparently was bumped because of the way the lease was worded with the DDA?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/03/downtown_development_authority_15.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+grpress+%28The+Grand+Rapids+Press+Latest+News+{sodEmoji.|}+MLive.com%29

Not to ruin the party, but anyone willing to bet that it is not New Holland?  I am beginning to sense a trend that many of the merchants will be opening branches of existing businesses. I hope we get some new concepts in the market as well. 

Not to ruin the party, but anyone willing to bet that it is not New Holland?  I am beginning to sense a trend that many of the merchants will be opening branches of existing businesses. I hope we get some new concepts in the market as well. 

New holland makes a lot of sense, seeing as the restraunt/brew space is huge.

Sure it will be a different concept, hope its not too close to their primary location.

Jippy- 

I think you'll get a mix of tenants. I think some of the established businesses will provide the draw that new businesses need. I think it is a win-win. I hope a lot of new businesses open, but I'd also love to see some existing business (Byron Center Meats?) move to the market as well.

Joe

I certainly don't see a brand new brewery opening, I imagine its a second location for an already established player. I'm hoping for New Holland, Arcadia (doubtful since they are working on a place in kzoo), Bells (also doubtful because they have a lot going on in house right now).

Brewery Vivant, Founders, Harmony also don't make a ton of sense and to a lesser degree Perrin due to their location.

Since New Holland has expressed desire for DT, it's still my hope and # 1 bet.