GRDadof3

New Downtown Market updates

552 posts in this topic

I certainly don't see a brand new brewery opening, I imagine its a second location for an already established player. I'm hoping for New Holland, Arcadia (doubtful since they are working on a place in kzoo), Bells (also doubtful because they have a lot going on in house right now).

Brewery Vivant, Founders, Harmony also don't make a ton of sense and to a lesser degree Perrin due to their location.

Since New Holland has expressed desire for DT, it's still my hope and # 1 bet.

I am 100 percent positive it's New Holland. The wife of one of the owners has been around town talking about how they where opening up at the Market. :-)

I am 100 percent positive it's New Holland. The wife of one of the owners has been around town talking about how they where opening up at the Market. :-)

And the downtown market director/president used to work for the city of holland and probably knows those guys well. Probably a pretty good bet. Maybe we should wait for the official word. :) (Suzanne Geha)

And the downtown market director/president used to work for the city of holland and probably knows those guys well. Probably a pretty good bet. Maybe we should wait for the official word. :) (Suzanne Geha)

I bet it comes very soon.  The reason for the renegotiations of the lease terms IMO was for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I bet it comes very soon.  The reason for the renegotiations of the lease terms IMO was for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I edited that. We don't want to get a reputation around here for being spoilers. :)

My apologies.

Space looks really good, and so far, it doesn't look like anything has been VE'd.

Kudo's to Hugh and progressive/design +

My apologies.

Space looks really good, and so far, it doesn't look like anything has been VE'd.

Kudo's to Hugh and progressive/design +

No worries. It does look cool, I went on a tour about a month ago.

and a beer maker?  or is that been announced?

Not yet!

wow, there's quite a bit of parking there.

I think that is less than it looks as I imagine that next to the canopy is where the vendors will set up.

I think that is less than it looks as I imagine that next to the canopy is where the vendors will set up.

From the sketch on their website, yes.

9953_653217044693667_840501517_n.jpg

Edited by John E

Two items of interest:
People talking about Grand Rapids;
Chicago Local Beet reports on the Downtown Market with a great article that includes photos:
http://www.thelocalbeet.com/2013/04/22/grand-rapids-bets-big-on-local-foods-with-a-new-year-round-market/

Here is the latest outdoor vender list:
https://downtownmarketgr.wufoo.com/forms/2013-outdoor-market-vendors/

Maybe we really should consider a tunnel from the Market to the Amtrak Station.

Edited by John E

Looking forward to the outdoor farmers market portion opening up next Saturday, May 4th.

8680901923_be6d9218ab_c.jpg

1 person likes this

the tunnel is a cool idea, since most of the highways in GR are elevated there is probably less disconnect than if they were sunken but there are some tunnels on the west side although there are no overhead highway pedestrian bridges that you see in other cities, it would be cool to see a landmark one here. 

Does anyone know if they are using solar panels or other sustainable energy in this project?

And those tunnels on the west side aren't always pleasant places to be.

And those tunnels on the west side aren't always pleasant places to be.

Which is why reconnecting Logan street as a street complete with sidewalks on both sides of the street under US131 is better then a pedestrian tunnel.  It will give pedestrians more visibility making it feel safer.  I'm not sure how this will work with the new Amtrak station though.