THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

There are some sections of green roofs I believe. I would guess they're aiming or LEED, but most commercial grade projects are designed close to those standards now anyway (locally anyway).

I know there is a lot of geothermal installed, as well.  One of the articles early during construction mentioned it, because they were drilling all the below-ground stuff for those at that time.  Off the top of my head, I recall it saying the geo-thermal technology would reduce the energy consumption for HVAC by somewhere in the neighborhood of 75%.  That number seems high, but it might be right.

i think the homeless and the pan handlers will be trying to get away from this place. I think they will feel uncomfortable.. to open.

or feel a new gold mine has just been built. However, most likely there will be a strong dose of police to try helping those of such to find another block. In time though, yes, I believe it will be more common place to see, as like any attraction close to a homeless sector, in any given city.

i think the homeless and the pan handlers will be trying to get away from this place. I think they will feel uncomfortable.. to open.

If they feel comfortable panhandling all over 28th Street in Cascade, I'm sure they're down for standing around the Market. Then again, who knows if the new-found Cascade beggars are actually homeless....

--They need bike racks. Lots and lots of bike racks. Or large metal rings attached to the central wooden Vs in the plaza area.

--The building has a ramp, but there's no curb cut anywhere near it for wheelchair access. Whoops!

--Nice of the market to provide uniform signage, but everyone's going to bring their own truck or banner signage anyway.

--The vendors in the parking lot with their own E-Z ups have a lot more space. (Watch for the metal sculpture guy to have "garden Calders" soon.)

--Hey, folk festivals have parking attendants, sometimes adult volunteers and other times Scouts. Seems like it'd be helpful, for these opening weeks, to have someone at the entrance to the parking lot letting drivers know that there is/isn't space within.

It looks great! The uniform signs are beautiful, i hope vendors use them instead of personal signs.

hopefully people will find there is ample parking on site. Seems like it will be enough except for the busiest days. As far as parking attendants, a security guard was stationed at the entrance when I was there at 1pm.

My biggest gripe is the fence between the market and park, it would have a nice flow without it, but I'm sure it keeps basketballs from getting too far from the nearby court.

Edited by droonus2000

Tangentially related to the Downtown Market, Project for Public Spaces put this in my inbox today:

"The 10 Greatest US Public Markets That Met the Wrecking Ball"

http://www.pps.org/blog/the-10-greatest-us-public-markets-that-met-the-wrecking-ball/

From their enewsletter:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=76528e5df0&e=b48fb9b9a9

Tangentially related to the Downtown Market, Project for Public Spaces put this in my inbox today:

"The 10 Greatest US Public Markets That Met the Wrecking Ball"

http://www.pps.org/blog/the-10-greatest-us-public-markets-that-met-the-wrecking-ball/

From their enewsletter:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=76528e5df0&e=b48fb9b9a9

Those are incredible.

Lansing had a really cool old (historic I believe) market downtown, that they decided to replace with a newer one a few years ago. The new one looks like a pole barn right on the riverfront, and I hear attendance is nothing like the old market used to get.

The old one:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/36299945@N00/3443144775/

The new one:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=qF9wIekVSaQPY-QU-El4BA&cp=11&gs_id=fn&xhr=t&q=lansing+city+market&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45960087,d.aWc&biw=1252&bih=609&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=r6-HUaKPHcWxywGs2ICgBw#imgrc=_

spaceout.gifspaceout.gif

There are plenty of unique vendor-created signs and graphics here.

DSCN1423.jpg

DSCN1425.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

More signage of choice.

DSCN1428.jpg

Another personal sign, and trailer graphics.

DSCN1432.jpg

Need bike racks

DSCN1424.jpg

DSCN1433.jpg

Need curb cuts

DSCN1435.jpg

DSCN1429.jpg

The vendor in the white E-Z Up has maple leaf table covers and many other similar themes pertaining to his product line. He mentioned the standardized signage. I said put some maple leafs on your canopy. Watch for him next week; he said his daughter is great at painting designs on fabric.

DSCN1431.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

Support!

DSCN1434.jpg

Edited by Veloise

Very cool thread of the vintage markets indeed. Also very cool pictures.

Does anyone know when the inside market will open and if the hours will be better. Being open only three days a week with a day closed in between each day I found to be quite disappointing. I was really hoping for more consistency with the hours to not only make the structure a grand market but to establish it comparable to other major markets as to draw a consistent crowd and tourist. Will, it is a good start anyway. 

It was first reported that the year-round building would open July First but now they are talking August.
It will be open 7 days a week. The hours will be all day with shorter hours on Sunday. I see they don't have the hours on their site any more. I don't remember the exact hours.

It was first reported that the year-round building would open July First but now they are talking August.

It will be open 7 days a week. The hours will be all day with shorter hours on Sunday. I see they don't have the hours on their site any more. I don't remember the exact hours.

Thanks John for letting me know. I hope they stay with those plans. It certainly gives me a true hope for the future of the market and area.

• Like 1