THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

It's funny that the market is basically a big food court now which was never the plan.  I know there are quite a few vendors that are unhappy with the management and why some vendors have left.

The decision to stop the 90 min free parking was ridiculous.  Moms with kids no longer want to come and walk around, nobody can stay for an extended lunch, and after lunch, everyone is rushed to leave rather than stay for a desert.  

Taking away the seating on the main floor  was stupid as well.   Who wants to take stairs or wait for an elevator to go eat? Not to mention all the natural light in that corner is now gone.

Edited by jthrasher

1 hour ago, jthrasher said:

But it's not a dead horse. I have a family member that owns a space in the market and it's an ongoing issue

I know quite a few of the tenants in the market too, and people who work for the market, and they think it's great. If your people think it's like a "food court," then it's like no food court I've ever been in. It was never meant to be a grocery store. 

But hey, if someone's not happy there, they're not happy there. 

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I know quite a few of the tenants in the market too, and people who work for the market, and they think it's great. If your people think it's like a "food court," then it's like no food court I've ever been in. It was never meant to be a grocery store. 

But hey, if someone's not happy there, they're not happy there. 

You're right, it was never meant to be a grocery store, but it was never meant to be what it is now either.  A few vendors left because the market didn't follow through with the original plan and now most of the vendors are competing with each other.   I think a grocery store would've been a better plan with all the housing going in around it.   

1 hour ago, jthrasher said:

You're right, it was never meant to be a grocery store, but it was never meant to be what it is now either.  A few vendors left because the market didn't follow through with the original plan and now most of the vendors are competing with each other.   I think a grocery store would've been a better plan with all the housing going in around it.   

Grand Action never would've supported a grocery store. It was meant to be a "foodie destination/visitor attraction" like similar indoor markets in Milwaukee and other mid-sized cities, provide incubator space and educational classes for aspiring cooks, which it does have, and have an outdoor market for warmer months. 

The one mistake Grand Action made was claiming is that it would help fill a "food desert" in that area, which it doesn't really do. Other than that, in looking back at the "vision" for the market, it seems to have come pretty close. 

Plus, all of the housing near it so far is low-income housing, which have household incomes that are too low to maintain a locally owned (more expensive than big grocery chain) grocer. 

It's too bad the meat market didn't make it but the fish market is taking over the space. The pasta place was ill-advised (they couldn't even cook pasta on site), and I wasn't surprised it closed, now take over by the sushi place. Aperitivo is a really great place. The taco place is always busy. Will be interesting to see if Grand Traverse Distillers lasts, unless it's busy at night when I'm not usually there. 

51 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Grand Action never would've supported a grocery store. It was meant to be a "foodie destination/visitor attraction" like similar indoor markets in Milwaukee and other mid-sized cities, provide incubator space and educational classes for aspiring cooks, which it does have, and have an outdoor market for warmer months. 

The one mistake Grand Action made was claiming is that it would help fill a "food desert" in that area, which it doesn't really do. Other than that, in looking back at the "vision" for the market, it seems to have come pretty close. 

Plus, all of the housing near it so far is low-income housing, which have household incomes that are too low to maintain a locally owned (more expensive than big grocery chain) grocer. 

It's too bad the meat market didn't make it but the fish market is taking over the space. The pasta place was ill-advised (they couldn't even cook pasta on site), and I wasn't surprised it closed, now take over by the sushi place. Aperitivo is a really great place. The taco place is always busy. Will be interesting to see if Grand Traverse Distillers lasts, unless it's busy at night when I'm not usually there. 

I've never seen Grand Traverse Distillers busy and I shop there.  They should have opened a small bar similar to Sidebar and maybe not at the market.  They have a great product and it would be a shame to see them go.

Hey -- I'm perfectly happy to revisit the delightful topic of the failed Downtown Market.  Perhaps it would lead someone in the media to finally scrutinize this mess that has failed to live up to most of its promises.  I have no idea how scrutiny would make any difference, though.  I'm presumably the target demographic, live within a fairly close distance, and have yet to find a reason to go there other than naked curiosity.  There's no magic way to fix the place short of throwing out most of the vendors and leasing the place to Whole Foods or something.  Market-schmarket.  Whole Foods or Trader Joes would be truly awesome, and spark a rebirth of that area like nothing you have ever seen.  Coulda been a big, fat retail KABOOM.  But it's mostly been a whimper.  

32 minutes ago, x99 said:

Hey -- I'm perfectly happy to revisit the delightful topic of the failed Downtown Market.  Perhaps it would lead someone in the media to finally scrutinize this mess that has failed to live up to most of its promises.  I have no idea how scrutiny would make any difference, though.  I'm presumably the target demographic, live within a fairly close distance, and have yet to find a reason to go there other than naked curiosity.  There's no magic way to fix the place short of throwing out most of the vendors and leasing the place to Whole Foods or something.  Market-schmarket.  Whole Foods or Trader Joes would be truly awesome, and spark a rebirth of that area like nothing you have ever seen.  Coulda been a big, fat retail KABOOM.  But it's mostly been a whimper.  

Couldn't agree more but unfortunately Whole Foods and Trader Joe's  wouldn't open there because of there isn't enough  housing in the area.  Trader Joe's might have a chance since they opened one location in GR already but with all the non market rate apts. in the area they would probably pass.  

53 minutes ago, x99 said:

"Media goes to Downtown Market, sees people shopping there, sees 100% occupancy rate, goes home with empty notepad in hand." - Film at 11:00

I think a better story would be to find out why the Macy's at Rivertown Crossings looks like someone threw up all over it, and has for 10 years. That is news I need to know. 

What would really make for a good story is to put a pedestrian counter on the blue bridge and figure out how much money per person was spent on all that new lighting. All Henry Erb style. 

All joking aside, what would you guys like to see as vendors in the market? There's fish, produce, bread, desserts, cheese, wine, spices, oils, coffee, ice cream, and ummm eateries. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, x99 said:

Based on your past musings on dining, I'm not sure you are the target demographic. I wouldn't have thought any of this was your jam. :silly:

On 2/11/2016 at 11:57 AM, GRJohn said:

I've never seen Grand Traverse Distillers busy and I shop there.  They should have opened a small bar similar to Sidebar and maybe not at the market.  They have a great product and it would be a shame to see them go.

The last time I visited Grand Traverse Distillers was before Slow's opened. The owner said that they were pretty desperate for the foot traffic that he hoped Slow's would bring them.