THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

Ya, Lansing's looks terrible! I would be very disappointed if ours ends up like that

I agree with you and GRDad. Lansing's looks nice inside, but the exterior completely ruins it, and it looks like they planted grass in front? Horrible idea. Like GRDad said, if we can complement the "grunginess" of the area with a new urban look, it can look awesome! Don't know how far along in the planning stages they are (pre-planning, right?), but hopefully they keep some of the old warehouses intact. At least the ones they can make look good. Also think it would be cool if they shut down a street during warmer months and had the market outside..

• 3 months later...

• 7 months later...

Grand Rapids' urban market moving ahead in a behind-the-scenes way, organizers say

Im happy to get an update, however, it looks like they are in need of a $5-$10 million dollar starter gift to get this project off the ground. It seems like there are options for additional development in the area if this project is able to go through.

• Like 1

Grand Rapids' urban market moving ahead in a behind-the-scenes way, organizers say

Im happy to get an update, however, it looks like they are in need of a $5-$10 million dollar starter gift to get this project off the ground. It seems like there are options for additional development in the area if this project is able to go through.

The Baker Furniture warehouse is in a little better shape than the Klingman's one. The Klingman one needs some major foundation work. I seem to remember a group was seeking historic designation of the Baker, Wonder what ever happened with that?

The Baker Furniture warehouse is in a little better shape than the Klingman's one. The Klingman one needs some major foundation work. I seem to remember a group was seeking historic designation of the Baker, Wonder what ever happened with that?

Century Lofts

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/49536-new-apartments-planned-for-historic-century-furniture-factory

The owners of 40 - 60 Logan SW plan to turn this historic furniture factory into 4 floors of 90 apartments, and one floor of commercial, at an estimated cost of $30 Million. They are first seeking a historic committee be set up with the city to determine whether the building could receive historic designation.

I don't know if they did get the historic designation. They also were seeking MSHDA funding in addition to the historic tax credits.

I would imagine if anyone could get $5-10 million, it'd be Grand Action. If this project goes South, that'd be the the second Grand Action backed plan to fail in recent years (the first being the Amphitheater).

Grand Action does great things, and I'm sure they will make it happen. I'm just throwing fuel on the fire, hoping it'll make it happen. ;)

Joe

I would imagine if anyone could get $5-10 million, it'd be Grand Action. . .

All they need to do is find one of the rich white guys to put up the money then put their name on it. Among the usual suspects, I'm hoping it's Fred then it can be called Meijer Market.

Edited by walker

When did the Amphitheater deal fall through? How did I miss that?? What happened, state funding issue?

Seems like they were trying to go for some state funding that maybe never materialized. Can't remember now (probably back in the old threads).

I like Chris and everything, but I hate these update reports that aren't really updates.

I think the update was the fact that they need to find a donor quick to take advantage tax credits (before they are gone). Hope it happens, would be nice to see some of the buildings around the market get rehabbed.

Joe

Seems like they were trying to go for some state funding that maybe never materialized. Can't remember now (probably back in the old threads).

I like Chris and everything, but I hate these update reports that aren't really updates.

I would imagine if anyone could get $5-10 million, it'd be Grand Action.

Joe

I was just reading that the Seidman business school is trying to wrap up the last $5mm in donations by June to get to their goal of $25mm. GR's deep pocketed are getting hit from all sides! Hope they can make ALL this happen.

Edited by mpchicago

• 3 months later...

Do they even have a small donor fundraising effort? I've seen the Fulton Street Farmers Market has been hitting the pavement. I think the longer we don't hear anything, the more I see hope on this project fading unless there is a white knight donor out there remaining anonymous.

Is there any sort of animosity / competition between the Fulton Street Market and the downtown market? Seems like FSM is making great strides to make improvements, wonder how Fulton Street Market feels about the other...

Discuss. :)

Joe

I'm pretty sure Christine Helms Maletic, who runs FSM, went on the record as saying that she doesn't see it as competition and supports its efforts. However, the benefactors in town who would support FSM might also be the same ones being approached for the urban market. There might be only so much to go around.

I'm pretty sure Christine Helms Maletic, who runs FSM, went on the record as saying that she doesn't see it as competition and supports its efforts. However, the benefactors in town who would support FSM might also be the same ones being approached for the urban market. There might be only so much to go around.

I'd like to clear up a couple of points, if you don't mind. :)

Christine Helms-Maletic is the project consultant spearheading the FSFM Development Project. Melissa Harrington is the FSFM director who runs the day-to-day operations of the market, along with a part time staff-person and occasional interns.

Christine and Melissa have both basically said the more, the merrier. They don't really view the new market as competition, so much as complimentary to what the FSFM does. If you've been there on a Saturday, you know they aren't hurting for customers. It's a zoo and a major social event and that's one of the reasons I love going. And the three weekdays are quite steady when there are lots of fruits and veggies in season. Also, the FSFM has over 120 stalls, while the downtown market is only planned to have around 40 (if I recall correctly), so the size is going to be significantly smaller. The FSFM has also increased their customer base and the amount people spend through the availability of an EBT/Debit/Credit Card machine making it more convenient for low income people to obtain fresh food and making it easier for people to get additional money when they run out.

One of the cool things that has come out of the studies that took place during the development campaign is that the FSFM brings in ~$185,000 a week in gross receipts to all the farmers each week during the busy season. That's a lot of money pumped right to the producers and staying in the local economy!

Lastly, the FSFM Development Campaign already secured private pledges for $1.5+ million of their $2 million goal before the announcement of the public campaign last week. So, the large foundation and individual donors have already pledged their money to the FSFM, but there were also LOTS of smaller gifts in the $1,000-10,000 range. (list is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/5936163224/in/set-72157627190448702)

I hope that many of the large donors will also contribute to the downtown market. Just because there hasn't been news recently, doesn't necessarily mean the project isn't moving. It could just mean the donations are being lined up and more of the behind the scenes work is taking place. Without info from someone closer to the project, it's hard to know.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, an article yesterday about funding infrastructure around the market:

Grand Rapids intends to issue $3 million in bonds to aid urban market development

I hope that the infrastructure improvements include a non-motorized crossing over 131 to access Central Station - the Wealthy Street bridge, the only current option, was never intended to carry non-motorized traffic.

• Like 1

If the buildings aren't really up for reuse, I can't blame them. I'd like to see renderings of the new construction. And I completely agree, a pedestrian accessway between Central and Ionia would be a great benefit. The difficulty is just in how. With a bridge, that's a large elevation to traverse and would require an incredible ramp for handicap access. With a tunnel, safety comes into play.

I believe The Rapid plans to extend the platform to the North and most people use Cherry Street that should be made more pedestrian friendly. A bridge just isn't feasible and wouldn't be safe with the busses pulling up to the platform. I was looking at that idea very closely when they started building Central Station.

I don't think its an issue to challenge a $30M project with some indirect public support. I have the feeling that the grass roots are there for this to be successful - there is a growing community willing to support these endeavors to support locally grown/produced products. We'll see. I'd make a bet GR will handle this development better then Cincy did.