THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm honestly thinking it will be better where it is with all of the controversy about parking.

Much of the parking around the Market is still free-ish especially further to the south. It will at least help in getting more casual shoppers to patronize the location if they know they dont have to feed a meter, park too far away, or park in an expensive lot.

If that empty lot across the street ever gets developed into more mixed-use, it will only help the foot traffic, I would think.

I could see that,  and I hope more development pops up down there to create a vibrant neighborhood. But I feel like downtown lacks retail selection that would bring in lots of people. 

56 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

DT needs an Epicenter like D Charlotte NC

Downtown retail needs to grow organically IMHO.  These center city manufactured retail environments that I have experienced often fail at high rates.  I think depending on when/if the movie theatre project goes through, we could see Ionia emerge as the trendy retail destination downtown.  It's a shame because Division would be a perfect quaint area, if it were not command central for the missions.  There are definitely spaces to fill if Moosejaw does ok, other trendy "it" retailers like Urban Outfitters ect. Just might start popping up. 

17 hours ago, MJLO said:

Downtown retail needs to grow organically IMHO.  These center city manufactured retail environments that I have experienced often fail at high rates.  I think depending on when/if the movie theatre project goes through, we could see Ionia emerge as the trendy retail destination downtown.  It's a shame because Division would be a perfect quaint area, if it were not command central for the missions.  There are definitely spaces to fill if Moosejaw does ok, other trendy "it" retailers like Urban Outfitters ect. Just might start popping up. 

The theater project and that vacant parcel next to Hopcat could provide a pretty densely packed retail area. 

On 9/15/2016 at 8:04 AM, mpchicago said:

From what I've read, it appears that Moosejaw is investing more into this space than they normally would for a pop-up.  If it works out I doubt that they would move.

Moosejaw opened today- http://fox17online.com/2016/09/19/outdoor-retailer-moosejaw-opens-first-west-michigan-location/

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sounds like Fishlads and Carvers are partnering with Kingma's:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/86363

This is quite interesting.  I am assuming they will be taking over the butcher space at the original spot on Plainfield when the lease is up with the current butcher shop?  Can you have 2 different butcher shops in your stores?  Seems consistency would be needed.  The current butcher and crew at the Plainfield Kingma's have been a staple, this could hurt Kingma's based on the following.  People come from miles and miles away for the current meat counter at the Plainfield location.  This is all speculation, but I will go to wherever Dave's (Meat Counter in Kingma's Plainfield) goes!!

39 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

This is quite interesting.  I am assuming they will be taking over the butcher space at the original spot on Plainfield when the lease is up with the current butcher shop?  Can you have 2 different butcher shops in your stores?  Seems consistency would be needed.  The current butcher and crew at the Plainfield Kingma's have been a staple, this could hurt Kingma's based on the following.  People come from miles and miles away for the current meat counter at the Plainfield location.  This is all speculation, but I will go to wherever Dave's (Meat Counter in Kingma's Plainfield) goes!!

I thought one of the stipulations of Kingma selling was that the butcher shop had to stay. Maybe they'll have two different butchers at the different locations?

Joe

1 minute ago, joeDowntown said:

I thought one of the stipulations of Kingma selling was that the butcher shop had to stay. Maybe they'll have two different butchers at the different locations?

Joe

What does the article say? I've used up my weekly free articles.

Interestingly I saw Alan Hartline (owner of Kingma's) at the DTM the day before this article went up. 

The downtown Ada crowd are prolly more of a Fish Lads / Carvers kind of folk while Dave's is just dandy for Plainfield. I get the impression that many Ada residents would sacrifice a little quality in exchange for the opportunity to impress you with where they bought it and how much it cost.  Sorry to stereotype you my neighbors.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wingbert said:

The downtown Ada crowd are prolly more of a Fish Lads / Carvers kind of folk while Dave's is just dandy for Plainfield. I get the impression that many Ada residents would sacrifice a little quality in exchange for the opportunity to impress you with where they bought it and how much it cost.  Sorry to stereotype you my neighbors.

Kingma's is about to invest heavily in Ada so you might be onto something. I wonder if credit card data shows 49301 as the most popular zip code at the market?

On 10/14/2016 at 2:23 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Kingma's is about to invest heavily in Ada so you might be onto something. I wonder if credit card data shows 49301 as the most popular zip code at the market?

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. My 49509 income certainly doesn't allow me to go to the market, even though it's a short drive for me.

Looks like the partnership is going to extend to the Ada location as well:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/ada-cascade/kingmas-market-partners-with-fish-lads-carvers-for-ada-location/334871177

11 minutes ago, ChevalierNoir said:

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. My 49509 income certainly doesn't allow me to go to the market, even though it's a short drive for me.

I believe the Carver's meat counter at the Downtown Market is supposed to have "approachable prices." Moreso then the previous vendor.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Downtown market was packed today, couldnt find a place to park! :)

And Carvers is open. They have a $5 cheeseburger made from prime ground beef that is to die for. 

Pic doesnt do it justice for how crowded it was.

20161104_125658.jpg

I'm super impressed with Carvers.  The guys from Fish Lads took their time getting it open, but they did it right.  All of their sandwiches are great!  Their meat is of the absolute highest quality and the pricing is spot on.  Worth the trip.

• Like 2

Big wedding going on last weekend when I was there, the ceremony in the greenhouse and reception across the hallway.  Kind of an amusing mix with customers wearing cargo pants and t-shirts and wedding parties in tuxedos and dresses.  In fact the whole town seemed to be one big wedding altar with events everywhere.  Big business.  The number of singles in this country is at a record high but you sure wouldn't know it on a Grand Rapids weekend downtown.

13 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a large rooftop neon sign visible from downtown and 131?Maybe a play off the iconic Seattle market sign? Its just so discreet. I think Founders should have done better with their new signage as well. 

There are pretty tight ordinances on size, placement, brightness, number of signs per building, etc. for signage downtown.  The city doesn't want it to get too exciting and end up like downtown Tokyo.  Grand Valley doesn't have to abide by those rules because they are a state institution.  Thus their signage is much larger than a local business would be allowed to erect.

2 hours ago, wingbert said:

There are pretty tight ordinances on size, placement, brightness, number of signs per building, etc. for signage downtown.  The city doesn't want it to get too exciting and end up like downtown Tokyo.  Grand Valley doesn't have to abide by those rules because they are a state institution.  Thus their signage is much larger than a local business would be allowed to erect.

I'd love to see a corner that was allowed to let it all hang out, like (any intersection in Tokyo) or Times Square. But that won't happen. 

I do agree with GR8scott, I always envisioned Founders getting an epic neon sign, like the Public Market in Seattle. We USED to have one downtown - First Butterworth, then Spectrum (the Butterworth sign was a classic). 

I agree. The downtown market would look great with one as well. But I'm a sign nerd...

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I'd love to see a corner that was allowed to let it all hang out, like (any intersection in Tokyo) or Times Square. But that won't happen. 

I STRONGLY agree, although I'd go for a district rather than just one intersection.  Say the large triangle bounded by 131, River, and Wealthy.  Just let that whole district have fun with its signage.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2016 at 7:38 PM, GR8scott said:

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a large rooftop neon sign visible from downtown and 131?Maybe a play off the iconic Seattle market sign? Its just so discreet. I think Founders should have done better with their new signage as well. 

AGREED!

On 11/11/2016 at 8:37 AM, arcturus said:

Big wedding going on last weekend when I was there, the ceremony in the greenhouse and reception across the hallway.  Kind of an amusing mix with customers wearing cargo pants and t-shirts and wedding parties in tuxedos and dresses.  In fact the whole town seemed to be one big wedding altar with events everywhere.  Big business.  The number of singles in this country is at a record high but you sure wouldn't know it on a Grand Rapids weekend downtown.

I too have been at the market when a wedding was going on and I had to squeeze through the wedding party to get to the bathrooms (who was getting ready to do their big entrance into the reception).

Weddings are HUGE business downtown now. I read that yet another venue was opening downtown in the old water plant on Monroe Avenue:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/86469-developer-plans-urban-banquet-hall

On 11/12/2016 at 9:56 AM, GRDadof3 said:

AGREED!

I too have been at the market when a wedding was going on and I had to squeeze through the wedding party to get to the bathrooms (who was getting ready to do their big entrance into the reception).

Weddings are HUGE business downtown now. I read that yet another venue was opening downtown in the old water plant on Monroe Avenue:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/86469-developer-plans-urban-banquet-hall

Why the developers of the market never put in ground floor bathrooms will always be a mystery to me. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Why the developers of the market never put in ground floor bathrooms will always be a mystery to me. 

This is a similar set up to the Milwaukee Public Market est., 2005.   General market seating up-stairs overlooking market hall, along with the public bathrooms.  Not saying it's the right way to do it....